My daughter and I recently upgraded our phones with the BOGO Blackberry sale. I got a Storm 2 (handed down my storm 1 to my husband) and my daughter got the Bold. She's had it for 3 weeks and really doesnt like it. We can return it to Verizon for a $35 fee and we can get another phone free (as long as it is less than the Storm 2). But, she wants a Droid 2. They will not allow me to pay the $50 difference.
    So, we are considering adding a new line (at costco) with the Droid 2 for $150. Then, sell the Bold on eBay. When her line contract is up (06/11), we will drop that line. If my math is right, we would need to sell the Bold for roughly $250 to break even.

She knows that she will need to get a new number...

Has anyone done this? Does it make sense.
    08-30-10 02:55 PM
    My daughter and I recently upgraded our phones with the BOGO Blackberry sale. I got a Storm 2 (handed down my storm 1 to my husband) and my daughter got the Bold. She's had it for 3 weeks and really doesnt like it. We can return it to Verizon for a $35 fee and we can get another phone free (as long as it is less than the Storm 2). But, she wants a Droid 2. They will not allow me to pay the $50 difference.
    So, we are considering adding a new line (at costco) with the Droid 2 for $150. Then, sell the Bold on eBay. When her line contract is up (06/11), we will drop that line. If my math is right, we would need to sell the Bold for roughly $250 to break even.

Your best option (as long as Costco doesn't have any additional requirements for the added line/new phone such as keeping the D2 on the new line for X amount of days) would be to do the add a line, put the D2 on her current phone number and sell the Bold. The only thing is, I would assume her line wouldn't be out of contract until July or August of 2012 if you guys just did an upgrade on her line. The only other thing is you will need a dumbphone of sorts on the additional line from Costco in the mean time until you can cancel it so you don't have any extra monthly fees besides the add a line $9.99. Hope this helps.
    08-30-10 07:41 PM
    if its been less than 30 days, which 3 weeks is. that dont charge you a return charge. it should be in the contract. you get 30 days with any new phone. you should be able to return it no problem and switch to the d2. maybe try a different verizon store
    08-30-10 08:55 PM
    if its been less than 30 days, which 3 weeks is. that dont charge you a return charge. it should be in the contract. you get 30 days with any new phone. you should be able to return it no problem and switch to the d2. maybe try a different verizon store
    The $35 restocking fee is across the board for any exchange or return within the 30 days. Also, the OP stated that the D2 would not be eligible for the BOGO offer that they took advantage of, so the D2 would be cheaper at Costco than at the VZW store by $50 with the upgrade pricing.
    08-30-10 09:37 PM

Wha? You have a Storm 2 for sale?? Hmm...
    09-02-10 08:09 AM
    there's a $35 fee for exercising the return option.
    09-02-10 08:19 AM

Why cant you just return the bold and cancel the line for 35 dollars , that makes the most sense. I don't know how old you daughter is but you could also say it is what it is. When my kids start working I will more than help them pay for a data plan until then they use a feature phone. If they got bolds the would be in heaven.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by i7guy; 09-03-10 at 04:39 AM.
    09-03-10 04:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD