I'm in a situation where I will likely need to add a line to my plan quickly, or lose the opportunity for work to pay for it (long story).

The phone I want is the Bold 9650, which isn't out yet, and VZW won't even say when it is coming out, though most fools like me think that it just can't be delayed beyond May.

So, I have two options I'm considering:

1) Buy a Tour and return it for a Bold when it is released withing 30 days (fingers crossed)

2) Buy a phone from a third party and buy the Bold when it is released.

My main question is, if I go with option #2, will I still be able to get upgrade / add-a-line discounted pricing on the Bold when it's released? I'm guessing not. But then I'm playing the guessing game on when the Bold's going to be released, and it's increasingly looking (to me anyway) that there is some problem with the VZW release that they won't even give a date.

What is your advice? What else do I need to consider?

thanks,

MG
    05-03-10 07:12 PM
    Do you have access to an old vzw phone? You can add that as an additional line to your family share and it will automatically become a month-to-month line. Which means it will immediately be available to be upgraded at the 2-yr price. No NE2 discount but nevertheless.

You may also be subject to a $35 activation fee for adding a non-contract phone.

But that way you add the line, don't gamble with a possible release date, and get to use the discount price when you're ready.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-03-10 08:29 PM
    I would be very careful with option 1. I agree, do not get a phone and hope the Bold comes out. It Kay not come out within thirty days and than you're stuck with a Tour.

05-03-10 09:07 PM
    Do you have access to an old vzw phone? You can add that as an additional line to your family share and it will automatically become a month-to-month line. Which means it will immediately be available to be upgraded at the 2-yr price. No NE2 discount but nevertheless.

You may also be subject to a $35 activation fee for adding a non-contract phone.

But that way you add the line, don't gamble with a possible release date, and get to use the discount price when you're ready.

Cool! Good advice. This is what I was looking for.

We don't keep our old phones, for some reason. But I can get an old Curve or something on Craigslist or ebay and use it for 1-2 months while waiting for the Bold. But this would keep me from getting my NE2 two years after I activate my Bold? Bummer.

thanks for the info.

MG
    05-04-10 08:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD