hi, i'm getting a blackberry pearl for verizon for christmas off of ebay.
    how would i go about activating it? i know that you have to have the blackberry data plan, which i'm willing to pay, but is it okay if i don't have that data plan right now (i have an lg chocolate, so no blackberry plan)? i don;t want to have to go to a verizon store if thats possible.
    thanks! oh and how much does the data plan cost?
    12-15-08 03:37 PM
    You can activate it at a Verizon store, or you can call and do it over the phone with customer service. BB plan is 29.99 I believe if you are just doing BIS (no corporate email). Just to let you know, BB data plans are required if you have a BB on Verizon. I know you said you are willing to pay it. I am kind of saying you have to pay it if you want a BB.
    12-15-08 03:40 PM
    According to Verizon you have to have a BB plan to use your Pearl.
    12-15-08 03:43 PM
    Like the others said, a data plan is required when you activate it.

If you don't want to go to a store, call 611 or go to your My Verizon account (if you have one) and activate it on line. I do all my activations on line.

BIS = Blackberry Internet Service is $29.99 for unlimited data and email
    BES = Blackberry Exchange Service (I think that is what it is called) It is $44.99

If you are not going to connect it to a BES Server at work, then the BIS is what you will want. Make sure you tell VZW you want the BIS $29.99 plan, because when you activate a phone it defaults to the $44.99 plan.

If you do it on line,I think they changed it and you can choose what plan you want. If it does not let you choose, go back and see if you can change it, and if not just call 611 and have them change it for you.
    Last edited by ok4a56; 12-16-08 at 09:55 AM.
    12-16-08 09:52 AM
    Make sure you check the ESN number prior to sending money!
    12-16-08 02:06 PM
    Like cwcanty said, check the ESN, you don't want to try and activate your Pearl on Christmas and find out that it's on the negative ( lost/stolen ) list and it won't activate....
    12-16-08 02:50 PM
    I would also make sure the seller has deleted their BIS if they had one or the pin number is tied up when you go to set yours up.
    12-16-08 02:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD