Alright, so I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to do this without costing me too much money.

I bought a Blackberry pearl on ebay (don't worry, I made sure I had a clean ESN guarantee) because my current phone is terrible and I was in need for a new one. Well now I'm worried because I read somewhere that Verizon required a data plan and I didn't plan to use that right away, my mom pays for my phone as well as my brother's phone combined into one bill.

So I guess my questions are:

-Will I be able to use my Blackberry as a regular phone with Verizon?

-Would I be able to separate myself from my family plan so I could just pay for everything myself?

-How much does the typical Blackberry data plan cost?

I haven't cared in the past about my mom paying my phone (I'm 19) but I wouldn't want her to have to pay any more than normal on my behalf.

Thank you for all your help!
    12-29-08 03:20 PM
    Alright, so I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to do this without costing me too much money.

I bought a Blackberry pearl on ebay (don't worry, I made sure I had a clean ESN guarantee) because my current phone is terrible and I was in need for a new one. Well now I'm worried because I read somewhere that Verizon required a data plan and I didn't plan to use that right away, my mom pays for my phone as well as my brother's phone combined into one bill.

So I guess my questions are:

-Will I be able to use my Blackberry as a regular phone with Verizon?

-Would I be able to separate myself from my family plan so I could just pay for everything myself?

-How much does the typical Blackberry data plan cost?

I haven't cared in the past about my mom paying my phone (I'm 19) but I wouldn't want her to have to pay any more than normal on my behalf.

Thank you for all your help!
    1. No you cannot use your BB on Verizon without a data plan.
    2. I am not sure about that, it would depend on when your contract was due====early termination fees will apply.
    3. If you are using the BB as a personal phone and not through your business it would be 29.99 additional for unlimited data.

If you can afford your own bill, why not give your mom the additional $30 per month===that will be the cheapest solution for you.
    12-29-08 03:56 PM
    Yes you can, even if a new contract was recently signed. It would require the current responsible party to authorize the billing responsibilty change and you would need to agree to a contract extension & credit check. Alternately. Mom could split the account & you'd get your own bill but the service would still be under her name.

Know that while you'd get your own minutes, your overall rate would be higher without the family plan discount.

Or you could give mom that $30/mo (as mentioned above) & add the data plan to your phone number.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-29-08 05:22 PM
    Thanks so much for your help! My mom will probably be pissed I bought a new phone so I'm just going to say that my boyfriend "surprised" me with it for Christmas.

I was going to separate myself from my mom when the contract was up, and that's in a year or so - it's not that big of a deal.

I'll probably just end up paying her extra when the bill comes each month.

Thanks again for your help!
    12-29-08 05:33 PM
    just make sure you can pass the credit check before you cancel it from her account. i think verizon requires up to $1000 for a deposit.

and these days, with the credit market the way it is, i wouldnt doubt a 19 year old would require the $1000 deposit.
    12-29-08 08:04 PM
    Give her $35 a month since I believe there is tax on the $30 data package.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-30-08 03:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD