So sadly due to financial reasons my husband and I need to cancel our data plans and use dumb phones. My question is can I buy a cheap pre paid phone and activate it on my family plan. I've been told that calling *228 and using option 3 would be able to do this. But before dropping the cash for the phones wanted to find out for sure. Thanks! Very sad to be leaving my Berry but times are tough! (

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-11-10 08:43 PM
    So sadly due to financial reasons my husband and I need to cancel our data plans and use dumb phones. My question is can I buy a cheap pre paid phone and activate it on my family plan. I've been told that calling *228 and using option 3 would be able to do this. But before dropping the cash for the phones wanted to find out for sure. Thanks! Very sad to be leaving my Berry but times are tough! (

No, a prepaid device has to be active as a prepaid device and in good standing for 6 months, then it can be converted to a post paid device
    01-11-10 08:50 PM
    Huh..I have heard of this working for people. We don't have dumb phones to activate on our lines...so using an old phone isn't an option...

01-11-10 09:01 PM
    IF you wnat to spend the money on them go for it. I doubt it will work as phones are controlled by an ESN or MEID number. These get assigned to either prepaid or post paid phones so the system will know.

Better just to buy used phones and activate them on your accounts till your situation improves.
    01-11-10 09:06 PM
    Aren't all the prepaid phones GSM? I don't think I've seen a prepaid CDMA phone? Then again I've never used one.

Anyway, you are staying on VZW, right? I've got a Samsung Alias U-740 that I would be willing to sell for a Fair price. It's a bit cosmetically challenged, but works great. Would come with a leather belt holster, A/C adapter, 12V car charger, and two 1 gig memory cards. Actually, I think I might even have a second car charger for it...I used to have three because I had three vehicles...lol!
    01-12-10 02:13 AM
    Verizon has its own line of pre pay phones. Lol what's a fair price?

01-12-10 07:12 AM
    Ahh, sorry; I wasn't aware that Verizon did the prepay thing. I thought you were talking about getting a TracFone or whatever they are called and then adding it to your VZW plan.

Anyway, does $25 shipped sound reasonable? I was actually surprised to see them selling for a lot more than that on eBay. I figured since mine is cosmetically challenged there's no hope of getting much for it. I've attached a couple photos. Most of the scratches on the back are from it swinging side to side and rubbing on the dashboard in my truck (I used to be a truck driver). At least you wouldn't have to worry about it getting damaged...lol! These things are pretty nice if you like to text a lot.

01-12-10 08:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD