11-26-09 06:57 PM
51 123
tools
    First off, condolences on your loss.. I too worry about the day that I lose my parents, as they are starting to get up there.

As far as your post is concerned, I'm a little confused to be honest (that might have been because I kind of sped read through it). Why did your bill go from a couple of hundred to $1200 in the time it took you to get the certificate? Was there usage on the other lines during this time? Overage?

The only thing I can tell you as of right now is that when the account owner passes, all lines on the account are allowed to cancel without an ETF. When an account user has passed away, only that line is allowed to cancel without an ETF.

Apologies if I missed something. I understand that you were speaking mostly about the past due balance, but I can't believe it jumped up $1000 in a month unless I totally spaced out.

Which is always possible..
    07-05-09 12:44 AM
    First off, condolences on your loss.. I too worry about the day that I lose my parents, as they are starting to get up there.

As far as your post is concerned, I'm a little confused to be honest (that might have been because I kind of sped read through it). Why did your bill go from a couple of hundred to $1200 in the time it took you to get the certificate? Was there usage on the other lines during this time? Overage?

The only thing I can tell you as of right now is that when the account owner passes, all lines on the account are allowed to cancel without an ETF. When an account user has passed away, only that line is allowed to cancel without an ETF.

Apologies if I missed something. I understand that you were speaking mostly about the past due balance, but I can't believe it jumped up $1000 in a month unless I totally spaced out.

Which is always possible..

well the bill was around 200ish in may when he passed. it wasn't till around late june that the death certificate was issued. and yes the phones were still being used until they were suspended for non-payment.

and to TwinsX2Dad,

so even if i "unlock" my Storm and put a T-Mobile SIM card in it, it's still unusable? Damn....
    07-05-09 02:14 AM
    The phone cannot be moved off of the account unless the account is current. This keeps people from taking a phone off an account right before it gets closed for non payment, which is basically what you are trying to do.

Looks like in this case, you're better off letting the account being closed and getting a new phone with your new account.
    07-05-09 04:11 AM
    I am also sorry for your loss. I just lost my grandma earlier this year, and she was more like a mom to me, so it's still hard.

It seems to me that the right thing to do, would be to follow what a previous poster said. Have everyone who has a phone on this account chip in and pay off the balance due. Since everyone was still using the phones after the account holder's death, everyone should have to pay for their use. It's just not right to take advantage of a situation where Verizon can't (or most likely won't) come after the estate for the total bill. Yeah, with that amount due, it's still going to come to a couple hundred per person, but at least you will have the free use of your phone again, and a clear conscience from not sneaking out of the bill.
    07-05-09 11:21 AM
    Verizon gets paid anyways really. They send it off to a collection agency pay a small fee and the collection agency pays Verizon Wireless then the agency attempts to collect.
    07-05-09 01:56 PM
    I am also sorry for your loss. I just lost my grandma earlier this year, and she was more like a mom to me, so it's still hard.

It seems to me that the right thing to do, would be to follow what a previous poster said. Have everyone who has a phone on this account chip in and pay off the balance due. Since everyone was still using the phones after the account holder's death, everyone should have to pay for their use. It's just not right to take advantage of a situation where Verizon can't (or most likely won't) come after the estate for the total bill. Yeah, with that amount due, it's still going to come to a couple hundred per person, but at least you will have the free use of your phone again, and a clear conscience from not sneaking out of the bill.
    well you see, everyone who had a phone is not gonna be willing to pay 300 each (4 including me splitting the 1200). and i TRIED closing the account when my dad passed away, but my mistake was not calling verizon. i went directly to a verizon store and they told me, there was nothing i can do to close the account until i had the death certificate, which takes time to be issued. my mistake was taking the rep's word and not bothering to call up and verify.

i'm not trying to take advantage of verizon. like i said before, i TRIED to close the account but i was misinformed by the rep at the verizon store...

But my question is:

can i unlock my Storm for T-Mobile use even though verizon has locked my phone for non payment? i mean, that means the phone is being reprogrammed and using a totally different SIM card? so wouldn't that work? or will my phone still be unusable?

thank you once again for all your replies
    07-05-09 08:32 PM
    You can unlock and use as a phone but no data will work due to the PIN being locked w/ RIM.

How did your bill go from $200 to $1200? Was there overages? Did you talk to Verizon and see if there was something they could help you with or did you just ignore it?
    07-05-09 08:50 PM
    Dunno if you got if freed or not, didn't read 3 pages worth of posts, but get a tech site to cover the story and paint some bad on the face of Verizon for pulling this BS on you. That'll take care of the problem with the quickness.
    07-05-09 09:52 PM
    i TRIED closing the account when my dad passed away, but my mistake was not calling verizon. i went directly to a verizon store and they told me, there was nothing i can do to close the account until i had the death certificate, which takes time to be issued. my mistake was taking the rep's word and not bothering to call up and verify.

i'm not trying to take advantage of verizon. like i said before, i TRIED to close the account but i was misinformed by the rep at the verizon store...
    Okay, so you tried to close it - what kind of documentation did you provide, giving you the authorization to do this? Even if you came in with a death certificate, did you have a court order or anythind showing you were the legal executor of his estate?

Without those, you're asking VZW to close the account on your say only.

When my grandfather passed a couple years ago, my father & uncle had to provide these proofs before any of his accounts could be taken care of. Even with that, there was nothing showing any disposition of his phone, so it was not released - something none of us cared about.

If they were less careful, I could go in & claim someone died, and demand the company do as I requested, then they could be hung out to dry if it was later shown I did not have legal right to do any of this. Or I could do it as a prank. Or with theft on my mind.

It doesn't take reading three pages of a thread to have the intelligence to see this issue. Verizon was simply acting to protect itself and its legal customer, which it had no proof as to who had any rights in his estate. So I would think twice before taking the bad advice above.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-06-09 12:45 AM
    Right.. taking Verizon to the press because they were following security checks wouldn't be very smart.
    07-06-09 12:55 AM
    Dunno if you got if freed or not, didn't read 3 pages worth of posts, but get a tech site to cover the story and paint some bad on the face of Verizon for pulling this BS on you. That'll take care of the problem with the quickness.
    Dude, if you can't at least get your head around the problem and put two and two together, why make a fool out of yourself by posting anything at all? That has to be some of the most wrongheaded advice I have ever heard on this site. How about you give your real name and we walk into a verizon store and just tell them you passed away and they DC everything without proof? Then you can figure out how to put everything back together.

For the op: I am going to sound like a broken record here, but I am sincerely sorry for your loss.

The bad thing for you after losing your dad is that even if you were to get out of the past due, you still won't get the phone unless an estate court allows it in probate. The only part of the bill that wasn't used was your Dad's line. The rest is still owed because the services were used. And if someone was using your Dad's line, they owe for that.

Your Dad couldn't have even willed you the phone if it was still under contract. If the carrier cuts the service, they still have a right to demand return of the phone or payment for the etf before they will release it. Upon death, a carrier will allow the account to be cancelled without etf, but the phones will still be tied up. No getting around that.

Now for me, it was a long weekend in the mountains. I will poke around for a bit then off to bed.

07-06-09 03:21 AM
    To answer the OP's question... you will not be able to unlock your phone for t-mobile. VZW will have your pin locked. I think I said this before. Until the bill is paid that phone will not be able to be used. Not even with an unlock code
    07-06-09 09:54 AM
    My sincerest condolences for your Dad's death. My question to VZW why when they were informed of the death they left his account open. That is where I would start with the VZW rep. Then I would keep asking to go up to the next supervisor. Be polite and kind and understanding when asking to go up. After all they may not have the authority to help you. They should have froze the account as soon as you informed them of the death.
    07-06-09 10:15 AM
    well good news guys, i finally got my phone unlocked

today afterwork i went to a verizon store that was close by downtown where i worked as appose to the store down south where i've always gone. i explained my situation to the rep at teh store. about not being able to cancel his account and being transferred from dept. to dept. with no help.

he called them up and did everything for me. ultimate, all i had to do was confirm the account, and the rep who i talked to thru the phone cancelled the phones and credited back the cancellation fee, which apparently frees up the ESN, even thought the phone bill is still due.

so now my storm is free for use and the account will probably go to collection or something.

thanks for all the help guys, i really appreciated all the replies.

EDIT: to TwinsX2Dad

i understand what you're saying. and i agree to a certain point. if it was something like his bank account or something yeah i could see them demanding documentation that legaly gives me right as the executor of his assets. but the only thing i wanted to do was close his account. the only thing that we would be getting away with was the HUGE bill but like i mentioned before, there was nothing we could due to close it so the bill wouldve kept growing either way
    Last edited by Somebody_Someone; 07-06-09 at 09:25 PM.
    07-06-09 09:21 PM
    that's what i'm thinking, but i'm not gonna drop another $200 for a storm when i own one already, the only problem is verizon wont' let me use it.

here are my 3 main solutions, i would like it to be the first one but anything will do:

1. get verizon to released the phone from teh account so i can use it and start a new account.

2. just toss my storm and buy a new one with a new account and everything.

3. unlock my storm for Tmobile use and hook up with my brother's family plan. this will only work if i am able to unlock the storm for tmobile despite it being tied in with my dad's deliquent account.
    while the ethics behind this will be questionable, i assume your dad had a bank account somewhere right? Why not just use the account to write a "rubber" check, VZW will see the accounts zeroed out, and will allow you to AOL your line. While not the best way of doing this, it will at least possably resolve the issue.
    07-06-09 11:41 PM
    while the ethics behind this will be questionable, i assume your dad had a bank account somewhere right? Why not just use the account to write a "rubber" check, VZW will see the accounts zeroed out, and will allow you to AOL your line. While not the best way of doing this, it will at least possably resolve the issue.
    And you will be subjected to fraud & bad-check writing charges - both criminal.

07-06-09 11:44 PM
    This was the only thread I saw that related to the death of a person with a family plan with any carrier.

I have another question. What happens if a person who is not the account holder dies? IOW, if one person has 4 phone lines for various family members, and one of the people other than the account holder dies? Is the account holder stuck paying for the line that he no longer needs if he has nobody else to give that phone to? Or would he be able to show a death certificate and say "that phone was used by father/mother/brother/etc. and I don't need it any more"?
    11-25-09 06:27 PM
    As a Rep you do NOT need a death certificate ... The account should have been closed when the account holder was reported as deceased. I would speak with a supervisor and have them review the store issue. The bill would have been much lower had the account been terminated when it was supposed to be .. given the misinformation from the retail location. Your fathers estate should take care of the blaance. You may want to speak with the attorny handling the estate on that point.
    11-25-09 06:36 PM
    As a Rep you do NOT need a death certificate ... The account should have been closed when the account holder was reported as deceased. I would speak with a supervisor and have them review the store issue. The bill would have been much lower had the account been terminated when it was supposed to be .. given the misinformation from the retail location. Your fathers estate should take care of the blaance. You may want to speak with the attorny handling the estate on that point.
    Do you know the answer to my question re: what happens to a line if somebody other than the account holder dies? Can the account holder cancel the other line that he no longer needs?
    11-25-09 06:38 PM
    As long as you can prove that person was the Mobile Number user you can remove the line with out the ETF. So for example if on the bill the account holder is Bob and the MDN summary shows Joe and you say Joe died we can cancel the line without ETF. Generally we believe our customers when they report deth but if we feel you are lying to get out of a contract we will absolutly investagate and you can be criminally charged with fraud and falsely reporting a death. When we disconnect for death that information is sent to the credit agencies. Dont wanna mess with them
    11-25-09 07:07 PM
    I would refuse to pay it, before my grandmother died, she said to say f*** you to anyone who wanted money. She owed some money to the credit card company, that they were just out and Charter Cable would not disconnect her service unless we went up there and their nearest store is like 2 hours away, so we just ignore it, eventually they stopped sending bills to her house, we never payed a penny.

Also, I would sick the Better Business Bureau and FCC on them, they are always helpful.

Also, I am very sorry for your loss.
    11-25-09 08:18 PM
    I would refuse to pay it, before my grandmother died, she said to say f*** you to anyone who wanted money. She owed some money to the credit card company, that they were just out and Charter Cable would not disconnect her service unless we went up there and their nearest store is like 2 hours away, so we just ignore it, eventually they stopped sending bills to her house, we never payed a penny.
    Some people might have estates the creditors would find worthwhile to attach or garnish. Your advice, while it might have worked for you, is short-sighted, dishonest & could cause someone a lot of grief.

Try to not play an online attorney, Master Shawn - you're obviously terrible at it.
    11-26-09 03:44 AM
    Some people might have estates the creditors would find worthwhile to attach or garnish. Your advice, while it might have worked for you, is short-sighted, dishonest & could cause someone a lot of grief.

Try to not play an online attorney, Master Shawn - you're obviously terrible at it.

Though I am not an attorney, nor do I intend to be, I do know a bit about law, and what I gave has a pretty good chance of working, I don't let companies walk over me.
    11-26-09 06:32 PM
    The law varies depending on location, and changes often. But no one should be takeing legal advise from CB any way.
    11-26-09 06:47 PM
    Well, of course, I would speak to a real lawyer reguarding that before I did anything.
    11-26-09 06:54 PM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD