11-26-09 06:57 PM
51 123
tools
    Hello everyone,

my name is richard and i'm new here. i discovered this forum after searching online for help with my Storm and verizon.

i need help, and i wanted to know if any of you could help my out. okay here's the story, it's kinda long so i'll try and keep it as short as possible.

A few months ago, my dad passed away. after this tragic event, i went to a verizon store to close his account because he was the only one on the account. and i wasnt gonna pay the whole entire bill when it was a family plan between 5 people. all i wanted was to get my storm FREED from my dad's account so i could start a brand new one with it. new account, number and everything.

According to the rep at the verizon store, i needed a death certificate to proof he actually passed, just to be on the safe side that i'm not trying to pull a con on them. so i didn't do anything for about a month until the death certificate was issued to me. i proceeded to go to teh store once again, only to be given a number to call. and that's where my fustration started.

it turns out i didn't need a death certificate, according to the rep i called.
    i grew fustrated after countless hours and days of being transferred from department to department.

eventually i was given an answer. in order for my Storm to be freed from the account and be able to use it under any other account (existing or new) i had to pay in full my dad's increasing $1200 bill.

now it's my understanding that a debt is payable on death, and since my dad was the only one on the account, they can't charge anyone else. but they stilll want money to get my storm freed

so my question to you guys is:

1. do you know of a similar situation where it was resolved? was the person BS'ing me just to try and get me to pay the bill?

2. i know i can unlock the Storm for use with another carrier(cingular, tmobile, etc.) but is it possible to unlock it and use it with a different carrier even though it's still linked to my dad's old account?

any and all help is greatly appreciated,
    07-03-09 09:01 PM
    I didnt read all of your post.. I am sorry to hear you lost someone. Usually its just a matter of showing that they have passed and eveyone assuming the line. I have never personally had a problem just calling and telling them when somehting like this happens. In extreme they will want death certificate

your pin number will be locked by vzw for past due. If you pust the issue with them they should get the point. It may take some time but you do need to call until you get the right rep...they will want any balance before his death paid in full.
    Last edited by jnepsa; 07-03-09 at 09:07 PM.
    07-03-09 09:05 PM
    I didnt read all of your post.. I am sorry to hear you lost someone. Usually its just a matter of showing that they have passed and eveyone assuming the line. I have never personally had a problem just calling and telling them when somehting like this happens. In extreme they will want death certificate

well i've tried calling them and telling them i want to assume responsibility for MY line but i'd have to pay the total. then i called again and told them i just want the Storm freed from the account, forget the phone number. the rep told me that it doesn't matter what route i want to go, i'd have to pay the amount due if i'm to use my blackberry that i ******* paid for

EDIT: they don't care about the death certificate, they just want their money. and to think i put up with them for 4 yrs...
    07-03-09 09:09 PM
    I'm not sure what to suggest, but wonder why you don't try to just create a new account with a new Storm. Leave that one behind with the old account. That might be much easier
    07-03-09 09:17 PM
    I'm not sure what to suggest, but wonder why you don't try to just create a new account with a new Storm. Leave that one behind with the old account. That might be much easier
    that's what i'm thinking, but i'm not gonna drop another $200 for a storm when i own one already, the only problem is verizon wont' let me use it.

here are my 3 main solutions, i would like it to be the first one but anything will do:

1. get verizon to released the phone from teh account so i can use it and start a new account.

2. just toss my storm and buy a new one with a new account and everything.

3. unlock my storm for Tmobile use and hook up with my brother's family plan. this will only work if i am able to unlock the storm for tmobile despite it being tied in with my dad's deliquent account.
    07-03-09 09:22 PM
    Sell the old storm on ebay and state that it needs to be unlocked to be used and then go buy a new storm for whatever the two year agreement is...screw the past due bill like you said they cant go after you
    07-03-09 09:23 PM
    Sell the old storm on ebay and state that it needs to be unlocked to be used and then go buy a new storm for whatever the two year agreement is...screw the past due bill like you said they cant go after you
    that's probably what i'm gonna do....hopefully i can get this all sorted out.

keep teh info coming guys. and thanks to everyone who;s posted
    07-03-09 09:31 PM
    First, im really sorry about your loss....

Have you spoken to a supervisor yet? if not, do that. explain the situation, remain calm and dont raise your voice or anything like that. Verizon is usually pretty good with this kind of thing, I have never asked to see a death certificate, it is no longer required... Good luck and keep us posted... and once again, sorry for your loss
    07-03-09 09:37 PM
    First, im really sorry about your loss....

Have you spoken to a supervisor yet? if not, do that. explain the situation, remain calm and dont raise your voice or anything like that. Verizon is usually pretty good with this kind of thing, I have never asked to see a death certificate, it is no longer required... Good luck and keep us posted... and once again, sorry for your loss
    thank you for your condonlences.

yes after many days of trying, i was starting to lose my patience. but i remained calm and i did ask for a supervisor. she was the one who told me i'd have to pay in full. but i remember the first time i called, after i got the death certificate, teh guy told me i didn't have to pay

i'm sure these guys don't really know their ****. i'm call them again sometime today or next week. i'm sure i can get SOMEONE who can help me..

thanks again guys. and keep the info coming
    07-03-09 09:41 PM
    idk about paying in full.... usually when i do an AOL (Assumption of liability) i just make sure there is no Past due balance.... Is that an insane amount as well?
    07-03-09 09:48 PM
    idk about paying in full.... usually when i do an AOL (Assumption of liability) i just make sure there is no Past due balance.... Is that an insane amount as well?
    yeah $1200.

it was $2xx when i went to close it but i wasnt able to until i had the death certificate, according to the guy at the verizon store in my local mall. by the time i got the certificate and went back teh amount had gone up to $1200.
    07-03-09 09:54 PM
    wow, thats insane. yeah call back and talk to a supervisor.... best of luck to you...
    07-03-09 10:04 PM
    wow, thats insane. yeah call back and talk to a supervisor.... best of luck to you...

thanks.

i'll report back on monday afternoon. hopefully all goes well.

thanks again guys. i'm out for the day.....
    07-03-09 10:18 PM
    Is the account closed for non pay already? If not just do an esn change to a different phone and then it would free the storm and lock the active esn.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-04-09 02:52 AM
    Another thought - the bill went up because of use, right? Why doesn't everyone on the account pony up the past due, then take the account changes from there?

The alternative would be as already suggested - let the account go and start new service. There are some good deals on BlackBerrys right now - I don't believe you'd be out more than $100 or so, which would be less than the few months of use you've gotten and wouldn't have to pay for.

Now remember that they can file against Dad's estate, which may end up hitting you anyway. I doubt they would, but they could.

And, condolences for your loss. I am an old guy, still blessed to have both of my parents and don't know how I will handle the days I know will come - unless the very real possibility (probability now) comes that I might go first.

07-04-09 03:17 AM
    I hope to have both of my parents when I'm as old as Twin.
    07-04-09 01:55 PM
    I hope to have both of my parents when I'm as old as Twin.
    I still have one grandparent, even. My paternal grandmother is 97. Lost my paternal grandfather two years ago.

07-04-09 02:22 PM
    Nice...Lucky you.
    07-04-09 02:27 PM
    No luck involved - "luck" is an occultic concept I pay no mind to.

Everyday you are blessed to have someone, rejoice & be thankful for that. You never know if you'll have that someone next week, tomorrow or even tonight.

Don't leave yourself open to those feelings of "if only I said or did." Do it & say it while you can.

07-04-09 03:04 PM
    something like this happened to me too, I wanted my own account and was trying to leave my moms so I had to pay the balance before they let me use the phone for my own line.
    07-04-09 03:05 PM
    Phew, I am very sorry for your loss as well as everybody else on these forums.
    CrackBerry members usually create a family bond between one another, as I am sure we can all feel one another's pain in some sort, and someday ultimately go through them.

If you wanted to, You could unlock your storm through a 3rd party unlocking service to use the phone with T-Mobile, even if it's passed due, disconnected through Verizon.
    Secondly, like others have stated if the account is not yet disconnected, you may be able to just switch the phone on your line and walk away with the storm to start new service.
    Thirdly, A new storm for Verizon right now is 149.99
    You should easily be able to get that for your storm on ebay, as long as you state that the phone needs to be unlocked, or is unusable.

There are many ways to get around it, but hopefully faith will prevail and things get taken care of the way your family would like them to be.

Goodluck, and again, my heart goes out to you and your family.
    07-04-09 03:19 PM
    Phew, I am very sorry for your loss as well as everybody else on these forums.
    CrackBerry members usually create a family bond between one another, as I am sure we can all feel one another's pain in some sort, and someday ultimately go through them.

If you wanted to, You could unlock your storm through a 3rd party unlocking service to use the phone with T-Mobile, even if it's passed due, disconnected through Verizon.
    Secondly, like others have stated if the account is not yet disconnected, you may be able to just switch the phone on your line and walk away with the storm to start new service.
    Thirdly, A new storm for Verizon right now is 149.99
    You should easily be able to get that for your storm on ebay, as long as you state that the phone needs to be unlocked, or is unusable.

There are many ways to get around it, but hopefully faith will prevail and things get taken care of the way your family would like them to be.

Goodluck, and again, my heart goes out to you and your family.
    Agreed on all points. We are very sorry for your loss...

If the account is still active, you can activate a junk phone you have lying around on your number which will free up the Storm for you to use on your own account.
    07-04-09 05:38 PM
    wow, thanks for all the replies, and thank you for your condelences.

first, the account is past due and has been suspended for none payment. so i cant use a dummy phone to free up the ESN.

right now i'm leaning towards one of these 2 solutions.

1.i want to unlock the phone for use with T-Mobile, but i'm not sure if there will be a problem with my phone still being tied to my dad's account? also will i run into any problems, glitches, etc. from having a verizon based phone on T-mobile?

2.i just might buy a new blackberry and sell this one on ebay or craiglist.

thanks for the response guys....
    07-04-09 10:37 PM
    Just to let you know that phone & pin will be locked due the non payment.. so unless you clearly disclose this you would be scamming someone.
    07-04-09 10:39 PM
    And with it locked down for non-payment, there is no using it as a smartphone on any carrier.

07-04-09 11:28 PM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD