06-20-09 10:06 PM
28 12
tools
    OK Hi Been checking Crackberry everyday To see what new devices are coming out.

I kick myself that I didnt get a blackberry when I first moved over to Verizon. I had sprint for 5 or 6 yrs and when I moved back to NY from NC Verizon had better coverage (family has Verizon also)

Tired AT&T for 23 HOURS lol it was so horrible, wont get into this discussion.

So I bought 2 Env2 Phones that were ok for what I needed but they forgot to tell us at the store that they had a charging port issue and I went through 4 on my main line and 3 (about to get a 4th) on my second line. So after 6-7 months verizon was so kind to "upgrade" both phone (to the only 2 they had at the store) to the Lg Venus.... wow I couldn't be so disappointed with the fact that i'm now on my 8th and 9th phones in 10 months and these one are starting to have their issues too.

All I want to do is to get new phones

So back and forth with "the worlds best customer service" and the people on the 800# tell me that the store can authorize a early upgrade and then the store tells me that they cant.

So here is where I'm stuck at now.

no upgrade till 08/2010(on both phones is this correct?) - yeah ok
    i'll have 20 phones by then
    can buy phones at RETAIL -- yeah ok made in china for pennies
    can cancel serivice and go BACK to verizon - save money
    over full retail
    can cancel service and go to Sprint - still gonna save money over
    retail

I really like the verizon coverage in my area, both parents and in-laws have verizon

Is there anything I can do to not have to cancel service but yet still be able to get an early upgrade.( my plan will also go up, win win for verizon)
    or should i get a new phone through the manufacture every few months
    or just get off the sinking ship?

Thanks Nate sorry for rant lol
    06-16-09 03:11 PM
    So back and forth with "the worlds best customer service" and the people on the 800# tell me that the store can authorize a early upgrade and then the store tells me that they cant.
    Two questions - and please don't take offense over the second one.

1) Did the store check the CS notes? If CS said t could be done... Yet I've found all too often that if you don't insist they read, the customer no-service dopes in the store often won't.

2) The enV is a stout phone. What are you doing to them? Sorry, but I sense some serious user error here.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-16-09 03:40 PM

1) Did the store check the CS notes? If CS said t could be done... Yet I've found all too often that if you don't insist they read, the customer no-service dopes in the store often won't.

2) The enV is a stout phone. What are you doing to them? Sorry, but I sense some serious user error here.

Not Sure if they Read the CS note and if they did it is still up to the store manager to authorize the early upgrade (i'm guessing that the store would lose money maybe?)...gonna try one more store in the town I work so maybe they will be more favorable.(as I'm ok withthe CS dont ask for much when the phoes are ok, and service is great at home and work)

And no offense taken and no user error there is an issue with the charging ports they just stop working and LG is aware and thats why they dont question on the return of the phone. Just normal use and when at home at night plugging it in it would just stop working. Not just once but 3 phones on Both lines. I'm not the only one at my job that has had this problem either.

And I will probably just cancel my service and sign up with sprint.
    1. cheaper than buying one phone at retail
    2. cheaper monthly plan plus more of an discount through my employer.
    06-16-09 06:58 PM
    I understand there have been some issues with the LGs but 9 in 9 months? I mean are you slamming your charger into the port? Seriously.. I don't mean to be rude but it sounds like user error to me. I know people who keep their LG env/env2 for 1-2 years.
    06-16-09 07:47 PM
    I understand there have been some issues with the LGs but 9 in 9 months? I mean are you slamming your charger into the port? Seriously.. I don't mean to be rude but it sounds like user error to me. I know people who keep their LG env/env2 for 1-2 years.
    again it was 7 Env2's 4 myself and 3 the wife(her 4th was coming)

The 2 LG venus are having some touch screen problems other than that nothing that would make me get rid of them other than the fact they were not my choice, the store offered us these or some ancient flip phone that i didnt want.

Good for them they got lucky.....problems with the charging port started only a few months after we got them, LG is aware of the charging issue...I'm not the only one at my small office of 40 that has had the same issue.

I'm not saying that they were bad phone just stopped charging. and yeah i swung them around by the usb cord ... come on is it really that hard to plug in a usb.

I'm just not liking the VZW CS of we will give you these crappy left over phones but they wont allow me to spend a little more money(was $100 each last time I tried) on 2 new phones where i would have to up my bill by $60 a month.
    06-16-09 08:04 PM

The OP mentioned he had two Env 2's, which definitely have been problematic. Lots of problems with the outer keypad and inner screen issues, along with battery issues.
    06-16-09 08:56 PM
    I'm just not liking the VZW CS of we will give you these crappy left over phones but they wont allow me to spend a little more money(was $100 each last time I tried) on 2 new phones where i would have to up my bill by $60 a month.
    Actually, I agree with you on that, that does seem odd. I think you need to remember that most people are going to follow textbook, and what the textbook says, is what they will do. This is human nature, I think you're going to see this at any other carrier - but I may be wrong. I work in sales (not phone), so I get your point completely. I find it hard to believe no one at the supervisor level at VZW would also see the value. $60 x 12 mos= $720 a year for them to go ahead and allow the enV2s to be exchanged for BB Curves?
    06-16-09 10:28 PM
    The OP mentioned he had two Env 2's, which definitely have been problematic. Lots of problems with the outer keypad and inner screen issues, along with battery issues.
    To come up with a realistic possibility that someone could have 9 consecutive examples with defects means we would have to see about an 80% overall defect rate for the line. This is something that would cause recalls, investigations and lawsuits.

What was the actual return rate, Scott? Weren't the things you mentioned earlier models? Didn't LG correct a number of problems? Nine in a row is what he said. Even with a 10% defect rate, the likelihood of nine is slim.

But I ask these questions in vain Scott. You like to post and run and not explain or backup the things you say.

06-17-09 09:24 AM

In defense of the OP, my daughter got the enV in Aug of 08. To date we are on our 6th phone and 4th charger. We kept getting refurb phones because of the battery port breaking and not accepting the charge or the charger itself breaking. The last time, after two weeks with a refurb, I called CS wanting any phone of my choosing---we paid over $100 for this phone. They asked me to hold off, they would send a brand new phone and lets see how it holds up. It has been 3 weeks and so far so good (keep your fingers crossed). The phone itself my be stout but the charging port and the charger are not!
    06-17-09 09:34 AM
    In defense of the OP, my daughter got the enV in Aug of 08. To date we are on our 6th phone and 4th charger. We kept getting refurb phones because of the battery port breaking and not accepting the charge or the charger itself breaking. The last time, after two weeks with a refurb, I called CS wanting any phone of my choosing---we paid over $100 for this phone. They asked me to hold off, they would send a brand new phone and lets see how it holds up. It has been 3 weeks and so far so good (keep your fingers crossed). The phone itself my be stout but the charging port and the charger are not!
    Just B/C u think that I went through 7 (not 9) Env2's that there must be a high percentage of bad phones. Just like the above quote I personally went through 4 and my wife on my second line went through 3 (although her 4th would have been coming soon) If they didn't take the damaged phone attempt to fix them and send them out then the same issue wouldn't occur

I guess if I waited till we were up to 6 each then they would have sent a NEW phone and I wouldn't be stuck with a phone that I would have never bought or want. But oh well ... i'll have BB's soon enough..

Good luck with the NEW phone I hope this one works.
    Nate
    06-17-09 03:29 PM
    Okay, I missed the enV2 & was working with knowledge of the original enV. Still, I would be a bit concerned not only about misuse, but comparisons with other phones. After all, the charging/data port on BlackBerrys isn't the most sturdy thing. Some people break those, too.

I can see maybe substituting an enV3, but I cannot see moving someone to a completely different device.

06-17-09 03:42 PM
    I went through 9 phones in 24 months.... but that was user error...... as in user made an error and fed the phone through a wood chipper... or under a truck tire... or into the lake.... or there was that one I lost out plowing snow and found in a snowbank the next day.... the one that bounced off my trailer and got run over by the big rig..... etc.........lol
    06-17-09 08:44 PM
    Sprint has the worst customer service EVER!! One guy called me a bi**h because he kept interupting me and yelling at me and I asked if he was gonna let me talk. That's only one of the many many issues I've had with them. I'd say stick with vzw.

06-17-09 11:28 PM
    Sprint has the worst customer service EVER!!
    Almost. I think HP & Dell are a touch worse.

06-18-09 01:06 AM
    To come up with a realistic possibility that someone could have 9 consecutive examples with defects means we would have to see about an 80% overall defect rate for the line. This is something that would cause recalls, investigations and lawsuits.

What was the actual return rate, Scott? Weren't the things you mentioned earlier models? Didn't LG correct a number of problems? Nine in a row is what he said. Even with a 10% defect rate, the likelihood of nine is slim.

But I ask these questions in vain Scott. You like to post and run and not explain or backup the things you say.

No one is "posting and running", I just don't spend all day on this website, waiting for a specific poster to post something and question and attack everything they say.

The EnV 2's have been problematic, period. Anyone who works in our stores or tech support over the phone and takes any involvement in returns or exchanges will confirm this. There have been numerous problems with the outside keypad, mainly the "OK" key not working. There also have been numerous problems with the inner keypad with multiple keys not working. I don't have stats to appease you.
    06-18-09 07:46 AM
    No one is "posting and running", I just don't spend all day on this website, waiting for a specific poster to post something and question and attack everything they say.

The EnV 2's have been problematic, period. Anyone who works in our stores or tech support over the phone and takes any involvement in returns or exchanges will confirm this. There have been numerous problems with the outside keypad, mainly the "OK" key not working. There also have been numerous problems with the inner keypad with multiple keys not working. I don't have stats to appease you.
    Numerous problems? How many people have you heard from who have no trouble? I have to say you probably don't have a grip on the overall numbers, just what you've seen come to you or hearsay from others. For a phone to have the problems you seem to think that little lg phone has, I can't see verizon keeping them on the shelf.

And lately you have been adept at posting something then not returning to address rebuttals to your claims. You have been a hit and run poster and don't back up what you say.

06-18-09 03:45 PM
    I don't have stats to appease you.
    Well, I do. The enV2 return rate due to manufacturing defects is about average, when compared with other advanced devices. The return rate due to user error is slightly higher than it is for smartphones overall, but below that for most BlackBerry models. The overall return rate for the enV2 is higher than the original, but we're talking two percentage points - and well below 5% overall.

But let's look at it as 5% - in itself a high number - one in 20 is returned for some reason or other. We must not forget that a large portion of these are user error. And before someone gets on me for inadequate design causing failure, come back & talk to me the next time a drinking glass breaks in the sink or when you drop it. Some things require extra care. I'd not expect a BlackBerry or any phone to stand up to the abuse I might subject a basketball to.

I solved issues with hamhands on BlackBerry Curves - Powerstations, extra batteries & bluetooth sync.

But back to defect rates. Your odds of a defect @ 5% rate (don't forget, we're not excluding user error) would be one in twenty. To get eight in a row, your odds are now 1:64,000,000. If we were to reduce the defect rate to include only device defects...well, you do the math. Then you might think about buying a lotto ticket, since you don't look at odds, probabilities or the entire picture.

Before you try to dispute any of this with your 'first-hand experience,' remember you are missing calls and contacts with all the people who have not had any problems with their phones. Why? Because they don't come to tell you they aren't having problems. You only see them when they have problems or at replacement time.

If the issues were that bad, VZW wouldn't keep selling them.

I understand you don't deal with numbers each day, Scott, but someday you should really try to deal with reality. Learning to discern between reality, hype & perception is the first step you will take toward this.

06-18-09 03:48 PM
    Amen, brudda-man. Amen.

06-18-09 03:56 PM
    Why is VZW being balmed for this? VZW does not manufacture the phone, they just provide service for the phone. It sounds as if the service is working fine. This sounds like an issue between LG and the customer. VZW provides warranty coverage in store as a courtesy to the customer...I repeat...as a courtesy. I can understand the frustration in having multiple phone problems, but the fault should be place either on LG or the end user. As near as I can tell from the post, VZW is doing their job and shouldn't be taking the blame for a phone issue not related to bad network service.

06-18-09 04:01 PM
    wow I didnt know that my first topic would be such a controversy lol .

It was more of a rant about the PHONES and not the service...

I just wish that I would have been allowed to spend more money on phones of MY choice, up my plan and spend more per month then get a refurbished phone or a replacement phone that was not to my taste.

Just makes sense to me, I clearly am on my 8th and 9th phones since last august and they were all provided by LG or Verizon none were through insurance.

But since it doesn't work that way I will be leaving Verizon(early termination fee is still cheaper than one BB retail) and going back to Sprint and will finally get BB's since I'm already addicted to this site lol.

Looking forward to Chatting again.
    Nate
    06-19-09 07:08 AM
    wow I didnt know that my first topic would be such a controversy lol .

It was more of a rant about the PHONES and not the service...

I just wish that I would have been allowed to spend more money on phones of MY choice, up my plan and spend more per month then get a refurbished phone or a replacement phone that was not to my taste.

Just makes sense to me, I clearly am on my 8th and 9th phones since last august and they were all provided by LG or Verizon none were through insurance.

But since it doesn't work that way I will be leaving Verizon(early termination fee is still cheaper than one BB retail) and going back to Sprint and will finally get BB's since I'm already addicted to this site lol.

Looking forward to Chatting again.
    Nate
    Sorry to see you go. Even with Sprint you will get refurb phones if they replace them.

This is done to get you back up a running faster and to cover the mfg warr. Your other choice is to send your device to the mfg and they will fix it and you still would get a refurb back, just takes a bit longer.

As for picking the phone of your choice, you can get them third party or retail price. The reason you do not get that option from carriers, is that they give the break when you buy the phone and get a contract. Carriers could just do away with refurb devices and tell you to deal with the MFG, but this would be a negative experience for their customers.

If you like a device that another carriers has but cannot use it on the carrier of your choice, sorry for this and will not debate this again, other than to say that there are many variables that do not allow this.

Personally, I still fond it hard a well that you have been though that many phones with problems without being something the user added or done to the device that has caused. I am not being acusitory at this point. I wish you luck with your new carrier and hope the experience may imporve for you.
    06-19-09 07:44 AM
    Nine months ago it seems your choice was an env2. With your logic, I should be allowed to take my Chevy Malibu back because its bumpers aren't strong enough to handle my parking lot clumsiness and pay the difference for a new Chevy Silverado 4X4 with big chrome bumpers.

Yeah, your first post. It was on a BB forum and was about a non-BB phone and now you're saying you want to go to a carrier that is less forgiving on exchanges. Coupled with all of this faulty logic, forgive me for just not buying it.

06-19-09 08:55 AM
    9 months ago my financial choice was the env2(VZW gave me the Venus not my choice), the Env2 phone was fine for what i needed. There was no user error there, there is a well known charging port issue stated to me by LG cs(or whom ever gives you the phones back), it just stops working. If they ever offered a new env2 i would have been more than happy to take it. the referb ones had issues also.

I work with 40 people and at least three of them had the same issue with the env2 but had the funds to just buy other phones and did not have to rely on refreb phones nor want to continue to get them as I had to.

If you wanted to trade your car in for a truck and lose the money you've already spent then you could have(and if you cant park maybe you shouldn't drive).

And I'm not saying sprint is more or less forgiving, I left sprint when my contract was up after 8 yrs to go to VZW, both services work at my home and work and now sprint will save me money of the comparable VZW plan.

And my first post of a non BB phone on a BB site is in the Carrier section B/c it was more of a last grasp at any reason I should stick with this carrier, and researching the BB's that I may get.

And when I did have the ENV2 I was over at hardwarwforums where the LG Env2 is discussed on its own and yes more people that have had problems then not have made posts, same issues that have been discussed through out this post.buttons screens charging ports

But no reason to beat a dead horse, anyone that has a defective device is an ***** and cant plug it in to charge and should be shot, and there is no way that a mass produced electronic item made by a 12yr old Chinese kid could anyway be broken. (mind you i'm jk and I love my other lg products)
    06-19-09 02:13 PM
    Well, I do. The enV2 return rate due to manufacturing defects is about average, when compared with other advanced devices. The return rate due to user error is slightly higher than it is for smartphones overall, but below that for most BlackBerry models. The overall return rate for the enV2 is higher than the original, but we're talking two percentage points - and well below 5% overall.

But let's look at it as 5% - in itself a high number - one in 20 is returned for some reason or other. We must not forget that a large portion of these are user error. And before someone gets on me for inadequate design causing failure, come back & talk to me the next time a drinking glass breaks in the sink or when you drop it. Some things require extra care. I'd not expect a BlackBerry or any phone to stand up to the abuse I might subject a basketball to.

I solved issues with hamhands on BlackBerry Curves - Powerstations, extra batteries & bluetooth sync.

But back to defect rates. Your odds of a defect @ 5% rate (don't forget, we're not excluding user error) would be one in twenty. To get eight in a row, your odds are now 1:64,000,000. If we were to reduce the defect rate to include only device defects...well, you do the math. Then you might think about buying a lotto ticket, since you don't look at odds, probabilities or the entire picture.

Before you try to dispute any of this with your 'first-hand experience,' remember you are missing calls and contacts with all the people who have not had any problems with their phones. Why? Because they don't come to tell you they aren't having problems. You only see them when they have problems or at replacement time.

LOL its amazing that you can come up with all of your so called expertise and figures you got from God knows where, but if you are so in the know you should be aware that the ENV2 is being discontinued and the new ENV3 is already out.
    06-19-09 04:03 PM
    The phone sucks and VZW does not want to admit it. I know two other people who had same issues before they finally paid for a new phone on EBAY. I am not blaming Verizon but I know the phones we had were all crap and not user error. I would not recommend it to anyone!
    06-19-09 05:29 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD