I purchased the 8830 on Saturday and everyone I spoke to complained about the background noise the mic was picking up. I was in my car w/ the windows up and people kept asking if I was driving through a wind tunnel. I brought the phone back thinking it may just be that particular phone, but the replacement I rec'd is getting the same reviews. Is the 8830 super senstive to background noise and is there a way I can turn the mic volume down?

If this doesn't resolve itself, I'm going to have to switch to the pearl or *gasp* a treo.
    01-14-08 11:56 PM
    I had the same issues when I got mine. For some resaon people just stopped telling me about the noise they were hearing when talking to me. I am not sure why. I would like to know about this as well.
    01-17-08 11:07 AM
    I had the same issue with the 8830. I loved the device, but swapped it for a Pearl because of the background noise issue and a few other things (low ringtones, crappy vibrate). Didn't think I would like the Pearl all because of the lack of a qwerty keyboard but after a week I have to say I am impressed.
    01-19-08 01:35 AM
    I have only had one person that I talk to complain about the background noise so I'm not too concerned about it.
    01-21-08 04:39 PM
    Not sure if this is same thing. I have one person complaining that my voice sounds extremely muffled when she speaks to me on my 8830. Only person to mention it. I wonder if this is the same issue. Any solutions?... i.e. mic volume adjust as previous poster suggested.
    01-30-08 10:41 AM
    Yes, high background noise and low Ring Tone volume are two very well recognized issues with the 8830WE. There are a number of threads in the 8830WE forum regarding these issues.
    01-30-08 10:51 AM
    Yep, Verizon knows about and had released an update a while ago that was supposed to have fixed the problem but from what i hear, there are still bugs in those things. My Dad's 8830 included
    01-30-08 11:49 AM
    U know its funny, I just came across this article after talking to my girlfriend on the phone. She is the only one that complains to me about background noise. She can hear all the stuff in the background EXcluding me! Its really annoying because this does not happen when I talk to my other friends. I was thinking that it might be her phone or something.
    02-08-08 01:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD