I got a 8830 and I couldnt use the browser or bb messenger.

I as on tech support for an hour with no avail.

I went to the store and left my phone there for 40 minutes. She said she just had to configure the browser but when I got back she said Im just gonna give you new phone since you said the msg didnt work.

The new phone wasnt configured at all so I went back and then the manager or something set it up for me.

He said that you get an initial email that you have to set it up with. I remember there was an initial email but I didnt see anything of importance with it, can someone shed some light on this for me.
    04-20-08 12:27 AM
    If your account has Blackberry service on it (check online under account management for your carrier.)

If you're with Verizon, dial *22899 and wait until it finishes activating. Then go to Options/Advanced/Host Routing Table and hit Menu and Register Handheld.

The most important is the second part about the HRT, but both should be done to be sure. If this doesn't fix your issues, then your account has not been provisioned for Blackberry Service.

Might also help if you'd say what carrier you're with.
    04-20-08 12:51 AM
    I am with verizon. They did it for me in the store, what they did idk cause they did it behind the counter.

why couldnt tech support figure this out over the phone.

also why didnt they do this when i first got the phone.
    04-20-08 01:28 AM
    I don't know if the apparent problem getting to the Verizon BIS site might contribute to this problem. Maybe Verizon was having trouble "setting" up the phone/data. I could not get to their BIS site for 2 days but just now did. So maybe try your account/issue again and see if maybe it now works.
    04-20-08 11:20 AM
    I am with verizon. They did it for me in the store, what they did idk cause they did it behind the counter.

why couldnt tech support figure this out over the phone.

also why didnt they do this when i first got the phone.
    When a phone is activated by the rep that sells it, they activate it a different way. I don't know why, but the way they do it sometimes will not activate everything. For example, when a friend picked up an XV6800, the data on it didn't work immediatly when tried. I dialed *22899 on it and data worked after that. For BBs, you have to go the extra step of also pushing down the Service Books which is what the Host Routing Table registration does. This has to be done because all BBs connect to two different systems, one is the carrier's network and the other is the RIM BB network. All other phones only need the *22899.
    04-20-08 11:31 AM
    We did the trying to register the host routing table on the phone but to no avail. Its working now Im just curious as to why it wasnt working in the beginning.
    04-21-08 03:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD