Just wondering if the 8330 will be coming out with the new 4.5 OS
    That would be
    04-02-08 03:40 PM
    More than likely 4.2 or 4.3. It could be too early for 4.5.
    04-02-08 03:49 PM
    There is a description of sprints 8330 on the home page of CB and the OS appears to be 4.3 but it seems that it also 86mb of device memory which is very good.
    04-02-08 03:53 PM
    All companies releasing out the 8330 will have the 4.3 OS. you will not see 4.5 till late summer. or fall
    04-02-08 06:34 PM
    All companies releasing out the 8330 will have the 4.3 OS. you will not see 4.5 till late summer. or fall
    Bummer!
    04-02-08 08:43 PM
    There is a description of sprints 8330 on the home page of CB and the OS appears to be 4.3 but it seems that it also 86mb of device memory which is very good.
    It's been noted on one of the crackberry posts that the extra mb won't be usable.

"The 8330 on display had nothing on it, but the available space is the same as what a GSM Curve would offer. I guess CDMA "stuff" takes up more room, so more more memory was added to the phone to so that the amount of usable space is equivalent."
    04-02-08 08:47 PM
    It's been noted on one of the crackberry posts that the extra mb won't be usable.

"The 8330 on display had nothing on it, but the available space is the same as what a GSM Curve would offer. I guess CDMA "stuff" takes up more room, so more more memory was added to the phone to so that the amount of usable space is equivalent."
    If CDMA take up more memory than GSM, then why is it that the current 8320 and the 8830 each have 64mb. Doesn't makes sense does it now?
    04-02-08 10:31 PM
    Could the extra MB account for the differences Between EVDO Rev. 0 and EVDO Rev. A? In theory, this would make sense, since not all sites have been updated to Rev. A. This would allow the BB to hit an EVDO connection, regardless of whether it was Rev. 0 or Rev. A.

Another thought could be that RIM plans on releasing future OS updates, but is sure that future updates will at some point, require more memory within the phone itself. The extra memory could serve that purpose. It would also mean that current phones would get to a point where a newer OS would not be available due to the memory it needs to operate, thus creating the need for older device users to get newer devices, i.e. RIM has just created a loophole to allow them to continuously sell their newer products. Not that they would need anything like that at this point. Their newer devices seem to go like hotcakes, as they say.

Just a couple of ideas. Anybody who has anything else in mind?
    04-02-08 11:59 PM
    The new 8330 will have 50% more flash memory than any other BB currently on the market. What features that RIM or Verizon can install that would require a whopping 32mb of memory, couldn't it simply be that RIM plan to upgrade future phones to 96mb henceforth?
    04-03-08 01:09 AM
    The test phone that was on BGR had 4k emails, 4k contacts and a few programs installed, and it had 45mb still free. Shoot over to wwwmboygeniusreport.com and check it out, it was the Sprint version

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-03-08 01:33 AM
    Could the extra MB account for the differences Between EVDO Rev. 0 and EVDO Rev. A? In theory, this would make sense, since not all sites have been updated to Rev. A. This would allow the BB to hit an EVDO connection, regardless of whether it was Rev. 0 or Rev. A.

Another thought could be that RIM plans on releasing future OS updates, but is sure that future updates will at some point, require more memory within the phone itself. The extra memory could serve that purpose. It would also mean that current phones would get to a point where a newer OS would not be available due to the memory it needs to operate, thus creating the need for older device users to get newer devices, i.e. RIM has just created a loophole to allow them to continuously sell their newer products. Not that they would need anything like that at this point. Their newer devices seem to go like hotcakes, as they say.

Just a couple of ideas. Anybody who has anything else in mind?
    I like your thinking... very intuitive. This reminds us that there is a business side to every decision and companies love loopholes that allow for flexibility.
    04-03-08 06:18 PM
    I like your thinking... very intuitive. This reminds us that there is a business side to every decision and companies love loopholes that allow for flexibility.
    Nope, he's wrong. The new memory increase is because of RIM wanting to introduce HTML email support. That takes space, 15MB free (at best) isn't going to cut it.
    04-03-08 08:40 PM
    Nope, he's wrong. The new memory increase is because of RIM wanting to introduce HTML email support. That takes space, 15MB free (at best) isn't going to cut it.
    HTML email support would be an upgrade to the OS, hence the memory need I have mentioned above. Don't try to argue me past that, considering the BB has a major concentration on email and its ability to push it.
    04-03-08 09:03 PM
    no matter what the more memory the better
    04-03-08 10:50 PM
    no matter what the more memory the better
    Here is the Icing on the cake, The new 8330 is also able to use the 8gb memory card.
    04-04-08 06:50 AM
    deleted my post. wrong thread
    04-04-08 12:02 PM
    Am I missing something? If the next progression in OS is 4.3, why would it just skip to 4.5? And am I right to say that 4.4 will come before 4.5? As you can tell, I'm new to this BB thing...
    04-04-08 01:51 PM
    The next progression was supposed to be 4.3, but they dropped it with all the improvements they have coming and opted to go straight to 4.5. Apparently, the improvements expected in 4.3 are taking longer, and with other coming improvements, easier to put into one upgrade, instead of several. If you search through this site, there may still be some of the threads around that have discussions relating back to this.
    04-05-08 02:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD