09-06-08 09:47 PM
37 12
tools
    Hello all ,

I am going to be doing a little traveling the end of next week and it would be nice to be able to use my GPS to get there. I know having Verizon that the GPS is locked down so I have tried a few of the free apps like google maps and LiveSearch with mixed results.

LiveSearch really stunk for me , it is unable to locate me at all because my GPS is locked and it apparently cannot use triangulation like Google Maps does??? AND I was just skimming around town checking stuff out and the maps it was using are more than 8 years old?? Is this normal??? It does not show any of our entire subdivision , which is close to 8 years old or older by now. Nor does it show the 25,000 square foot shop we built in the industrial park back in 1999 , in fact is shows the industrial park as less than 5% populated , so I can't even imagine how old these maps are??? Although it does load super fast but who cares when its that outdated??

Google Maps is VERY in my opinion , everything is up to date , I'd say within a year , which is pretty good for my needs. All in all google maps is a damned good application and live search can go to h3ll as far as I'm concerned. BUT because google uses triangulaion it is about 1700 meters off of my actual location.

Now I have had access to VZ navigator several times in the past but I have never once used it. So I don't really know if its any good at all???

If VZnav is anything like google maps I would be more than happy to pay the $10 a month for its use. Anybody care to comment on the VZnav app for BlackBerry? Also does VZnav qualify as part of my employee discount?

More importantly to me , if I pay the monthly fee for VZnav does that "unlock" my GPS so that Google Maps will be able to use it?(Fingers Crossed )

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-01-08 01:06 AM
    go google. it's free and works great, in my opinion. Downside is it is sometimes a bit slower
    09-01-08 02:01 AM
    Yeah , I'm loving Google Maps right about now. Just wish it were a little more accurate on my location.

Thanks!

09-01-08 03:13 AM
    Why don't you just get a wireless GPS puck like the Keychain 2000 and be done with the inaccuracy? It'll be a one time cost of about $80 and it'll work for ANY GPS-based program you like! No montly fees!
    09-01-08 08:32 AM
    Google VZNav on this site. I can't use it, but it gets good to very good reviews from almost everybody who's used it. That said, I have no hesitation recommending a Freedom Keychain 2000. As organman said, it'll work with anything.
    09-01-08 08:42 AM
    Yes , that was an alternative I have just recently been considering based on some of the discussions over in the GPS section of CrackBerry. I was just weighing the options, you know $80 upfront or 8 months of VZnav paid for??? Does any body know if paying for VZnav enables Google Maps to access the GPS abilities of the BlackBerry or am I daydreaming?

One problem I would have is that I cannot buy something like that locally and with today being a holiday , I don't think I would receive the GPS puck before fridiay if ordered. I don't suppose you can pick something like that up at Wal-Mart

09-01-08 12:20 PM
    No, paying for VZNav does not enable any 3rd party apps to use the internal GPS. That's extensively discussed in the GPS & Mapping forum.

I've never seen a GPS puck in Walmart, but you might find one in an outdoors store. Hudson Outfitters or Gander Mountain, perhaps.
    09-01-08 12:26 PM
    Ok , sorry I thought it seemed likely that having VZnav running in the background might enable 3rd party apps to access the active GPS. Similar to what you have said about BlackBerry Maps running in the background.

I think I will give VZnav a try on Friday and if I don't care for it I can look for a GPS puck during my travels.

Thanks for the advice!

09-01-08 01:37 PM
    I did see one in Best Buy for about $100.

Beeray
    09-01-08 03:12 PM
    VZNav is awesome. It is way more accurate than google maps and it has many great features. Its is definitely worth the 10 bucks.

Try it for the day @ 2.99 and I will guarantee you will buy it. Its that good and ALWAYS accurate.

09-02-08 10:48 AM
    There is no 2.99/day option for VZNavigator on advanced devices. It's billed as a $10/month feature on your account so it's actually pro-rated to about 33 cents per day.

09-02-08 11:21 AM
    Yeah I noticed there was no $2.99 for 1 day and the BlackBerry's or Smart phones , its only for regular phones. I wouldn't use the $2.99 a day option anyways. If I'm going to try it I will just try it for a whole month. I tried to set it up last night from my BlackBerry but you can't. You have to add it from your PC so I will do it today on my work PC when I get a chance.

Thanks!

09-02-08 11:30 AM
    I D/L'd it ota from my device......

09-02-08 02:12 PM
    Yep , just open the browser and there is a VZnav bookmark. Thats how I downloaded mine last night but it says to have it added to your account you have to go online and manage your account or call*611

I hate calling customer service so I thought I would just do it online later today but when I login and tried to add it I get the message;

This item is not available for online purchase with your phone model.

Note: Before you download VZ Navigator, call *611 to activate the application on your mobile number. Certain VZ Navigator features are only available through Get It Now and are not compatible on the BlackBerry devices.
    So I guess I will have to call...................
    09-02-08 02:46 PM
    I am going to try VZ Navagator starting September 4th (my billing cycle.) The 611 operator DID give me the option of daily trial, but I feel you really need more time to see if it is worth it.

Curious Grand Master (or anyone in the know) what VZNav features are not compatible with blackberry's?

[" Certain VZ Navigator features are only available through Get It Now and are not compatible on the BlackBerry devices."]
    09-02-08 02:57 PM
    I say go for the vzw nav. it works great and it's only 10 bucks a month unlimited,
    I don't know about you, but I know i personally have blown a heck of alot more than 10 dollars a month on stuff that i really didn't need or used and ended up geting rid of it. If you travel alot like you say, it's well worth the $10.
    Have a Crackberry day !
    09-02-08 02:58 PM
    The VZ Nav that is on the BB is the older version of it. Thus, it doesn't support 3D maps, gas finder, traffic, weather and some other small upgrades that the new version of vz nav offers. 4.0 is only available on v-cast phones so far.

Having said that, and having used both versions of vz nav, i have to say that it is well worth the 9.99 a month! i've used vz nav all over the country on my road trips! It's very accurate and convenient. It's great for locating restaurants and hotels. i've been using vz nav for about 3 years and would not buy another gps unit to replace it!

When i rent a car i like to plug my phone into the aux input for music. When i need to hear the directions i just switch over to the nav and i get the turn by turn directions right over the car's speakers. i love that! Vz nav got me from phoenix to biosphere 2 with no problem. The roads were not even marked well and there was only one sign off the interstate pointing the way. i was impressed that the nav worked so well on small, middle of nowhere roads!

Since getting my curve i downloaded live search as well and use that for local searches together with vz nav.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 09-02-08 at 03:08 PM.
    09-02-08 03:04 PM
    Yeah I dont know what the differences are , I have never used either. But I did just have it added to my account SOOoooo time to go try it out!!!!
    09-02-08 03:06 PM
    Let us know! i know a lot of people are upset about verizon locking down the gps so the vz nav reviews get overlooked!

09-02-08 03:11 PM
    While I use VZNav, and will continue to use it, I do wish they'd allow other GPS programs as well. There are programs with different uses out there (tracks, geocaching, picture location...), we just can't use them with Verizon.
    09-02-08 03:39 PM
    Actually, living in So. California...traffic is probably the most important feature. VZNav does not do traffic on BB's? How about some of the "puck" services? Gracious.
    09-02-08 03:43 PM
    Pucks generally provide only the GPS location data. All the value-added stuff that's based on location is provided by the mapping app, not by the puck itself.

I too am really glad to see the positive VZNav reviews. Perhaps if Verizon saw enough of them, they'd decide to sell the program on its on merits, instead of trying to lock out the competition.

09-02-08 04:02 PM
    VZNav is awesome. It is way more accurate than google maps and it has many great features. Its is definitely worth the 10 bucks.

Try it for the day @ 2.99 and I will guarantee you will buy it. Its that good and ALWAYS accurate.

I like VZNav aswell. It gets updated frequently. I think it's better than buying a GPS system from say best buy. Since, you pay for software upgrades anyway. Plus the hardware upfront.

I wouldn't say it's "ALWAYS accurate". Nothing is ALWAYS ;-)
    09-02-08 06:50 PM
    Well , what does Civic like to say '"Replace user and press any key to continue"?

When I first fired up VZnav , it was spot on to my location (at work). I checked it again about 2 hours later(still at work) and it showed that I was about 2 MILES north of where I actually was , when I clicked on my location information it says "accuracy 2 miles".???

I thought that was odd. So I exited VZnav and restarted and am just trying to "plan a trip" from my current location(work) to home , and everytime I try to resume the trip it says;

"could not process your GPS request. Please try again , if error continues please exit and restart VZnav"

Not sure what I am doing wrong here? I have 4 bars service and great EVDO coverage , what else do I need?
    09-02-08 07:31 PM
    If you need info on how the freedom keychain gps work feel free to pin me

09-02-08 08:00 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD