Okay, so I noticed today that my battery latch door was kind of off and I was messing with it, the next thing I do everything pops out. I saw a spring fly off and I don't even know where it went and can't find it. I messed with the latch and it's where the door is staying in place. But I'm really annoyed that it broke. I have insurance, do you think if I brought it in to my local VZW store that they would fix it, or would they appoint me to paying $50 and getting another Curve through insurance? (Something I really don't want to go through).
    11-05-08 07:03 PM
    I had the same problem. You can ...

1. Order a new latch and fix it yourself.

2. Go to verizon and they will give you a referb, same ting happened to me but it is working okay now.

No need for insurance, it's a 1 year warranty on RIM devices and this is a defect, you are not the only one with this problem. They will take care of you at the store.
    11-05-08 07:09 PM
    I had this happen to me a while back too. I purchased a new latch, popped it in real quick and works like a charm. Won't let me post the website so pm if you need it.
    11-08-08 02:26 PM
    they would give you a refurb phone . thats not insurence worthy .. lol . or like the 2 other homies said you can buy one and do it urself. if at that poiint you break it or put something in wrong they would do an insurence swap for a new one
    11-08-08 03:49 PM
    Yeah, I might consider just buying the part and fixing it myself. Because I'd rather do that instead of having a ****ty refurb.
    11-09-08 01:00 PM
    i got you . always worth a try . faily easy to assemble these phones
    11-09-08 01:02 PM
    if you go to verizon they will give you a 1-800 ## to call which will send u a new phone. thats wat i did, didnt care that its a refurb cause i plan on gettin the storm wen it comes out
    11-10-08 05:52 PM
    if you go to verizon they will give you a 1-800 ## to call which will send u a new phone. thats wat i did, didnt care that its a refurb cause i plan on gettin the storm wen it comes out
    Yeah, I just did that today and they said that I would have to do through Insurance...and I am not about to do that again...
    11-10-08 06:55 PM
    I don't even have insurance nd they did it for free. How long have u had it mine was under warranty

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-10-08 06:58 PM
    You guys could always go to Cellular Accessories - Apple, Motorola, Microsoft, BlackBerry, Samsung, Sony, BenQ-Siemens, NEC, Panaso and just buy the parts, since they sell just about every available blackberry part, including new trackballs.
    Last edited by fyrfyter; 11-10-08 at 07:53 PM.
    11-10-08 07:43 PM
    I don't even have insurance nd they did it for free. How long have u had it mine was under warranty

Mine is under warranty...and the sales person in the store just told me to call the 1-800 number and they would send me a replacement phone. But then the woman on the phone said that I would have to go through insurance...so I might just call again tomorrow and get a second opinion...I was thinking about getting the part for it...but I'm not sure it, it might just be my only option.
    11-10-08 10:12 PM
    Technically, the broken latch door is considered physical damage and the manufactures warranty doesn't cover physical damage.

I haven't received any bulletins at work stating that Blackberry has identified a manufacture defect with the battery door. So until they do and they notify VZW, then it's a good possibility that you will have to do an insurance claim.

Kind of a bummer...but calling tech support back may yeild different results, but not guaranteed.
    11-11-08 12:26 AM
    JD is correct about it being a physical damage, but I've read some where on here that someone took it to Verizon and was told sorry its not covered under the 1 year warranty. Then stated that due to the problems he was having, every call that was made to support always resulted in multiple battery pulls and it caused it to break. They ended up swapping it out.

11-11-08 06:59 PM
    Technically, the broken latch door is considered physical damage and the manufactures warranty doesn't cover physical damage.

I haven't received any bulletins at work stating that Blackberry has identified a manufacture defect with the battery door. So until they do and they notify VZW, then it's a good possibility that you will have to do an insurance claim.

Kind of a bummer...but calling tech support back may yeild different results, but not guaranteed.
    I wouldn't call it physical damage. It's a defect on allot of phones and causing the latch to fail should and will be covered.

It's an operation of the phone, same goes for if the trackball fails, keyboard fails, or camera doesn't work. Yes some can be OS issues. but anything on the phone that consists of an operation on the phone(exterior) will be changed out for a new device...... If VZW and RIM are telling you it's not a problem, I beg to differ. They give you access to the memory card and battery access which both companies ask you to use to trouble shoot problems. Do the compartment that holds the battery in fails, it's a usage and owners damage. I think not..........
    11-11-08 07:10 PM
    Okay, so I noticed today that my battery latch door was kind of off and I was messing with it, the next thing I do everything pops out. I saw a spring fly off and I don't even know where it went and can't find it. I messed with the latch and it's where the door is staying in place. But I'm really annoyed that it broke. I have insurance, do you think if I brought it in to my local VZW store that they would fix it, or would they appoint me to paying $50 and getting another Curve through insurance? (Something I really don't want to go through).
    Same exact thing happened to my curve. I had it like 3 months when it happened. Called VZW they were going to replace it with a refurb, but didn't have any in stock, so sent me a new phone! lucked out on that one Funny thing is, I took the back of the phone off only like 3 or 4 times total!

what a shame that the phone is so nice, but battery latch seems chinsy.
    11-11-08 08:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD