I am sure this might have been asked a few times already, and I apologize for this if it has been, but since Verizon bought Alltel is it just a matter of months before Verizon starts offering 7pm Night and Weekends like Alltel had?

Or will they stay at 9pm for away to keep customers at a higher minute plan for more money?
    09-23-09 03:33 AM
    No need to go to 7PM - AT&T is 9PM & they are the only carrier that VZW probably watches. The 7PM thing didn't seem to attract loads of customers for Sprint or Alltel, so...
    09-23-09 03:40 AM
    Many former Alltel customers have opted to keep their Alltel plans with the 7pm. I burn a lot of phone minutes, but by 9pm I'm done.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-23-09 07:21 AM
    I think 7PM would be a useful feature for a lot of people. They could at least test it out in a few markets(if they haven't already) and check the response.
    09-23-09 08:56 AM
    7pm nights and weekends would have been a great thing for me pre F&F, however now will as many calling plans as Verizon has, I see no reason VZW would go to it. With the growing amount of cell phone use, and the decreasing amount of landline use, I could see cheaper unlimited plans and cheaper unlimited family plans coming down the pike in the next few years. Also with the increase of smart phones I could see cheaper data plans and family data plans as well. I guess only time will tell.

09-23-09 08:56 AM
    While we are asking for 7pm nights and weekends, let's also ask for unlimited minutes while using your network extender.
    09-23-09 01:44 PM
    No need to go to 7PM - AT&T is 9PM & they are the only carrier that VZW probably watches. The 7PM thing didn't seem to attract loads of customers for Sprint or Alltel, so...
    I believe AT&T offers it for a fee but, at least you have the option.
    09-23-09 02:48 PM
    This is one of various reasons I keep my Alltel plan, for as long as I can.
    09-23-09 08:22 PM
    I second that. It really sucks that there aren't but a handfull of major carriers left. More than likely I will have to stick with vzw. I had at&t and they drop too many calls. I had sprint and vowed that I would NEVER subject myself to them again. The only one left is tmobile, but I know the GSM signal won't penetrate the walls where I work and the wireless router is too far from my office to get the uma signal.

09-23-09 08:35 PM
    Actually, they don't have to test it out. They can model it internally. This is what I do for a living

Assuming the base plan price is the same in both scenarios, they only have to focus on overage charges.

Monthly run rate of all customer overages compared to monthly run rate of what the overages would have been had nights started at 7pm.

If the difference between the two figures is less than the money earned from the additional plans they would sell (e.g. $ amount of 3% lift in sales), it might make sense for them to adopt.

One must also factor in the positive perception VZW would garner with such a move against the risk of the other carriers following suit. If VZW does this in march and AT&T and Sprint (if they are not still doing it) follow suit in April, then everything is equalized again (VZW loses their advantage) yet all companies now earn less than they did before due to decrease in overages revenue.
    Last edited by mikestorm; 09-24-09 at 09:26 AM.
    09-24-09 09:20 AM
    I agree with you 100% there, Mike - but one area that usage modeling misses, or can only assume, is potential changes to usage patterns. What may not be true today, may change tomorrow if times were altered.

The biggest reason for peak/offpeak is just that - an attempt to utilize network capacity when there is extra to be had.

The last time I looked at non-local data, VZW & AT&T network traffic doesn't really begin to subside until somewhere in the 8:00PM hour, while the smaller carriers typically see theirs fall off one to three hours earlier.

Any utility, be it electric, water, POTS, or cellular, must build to meet peak demands. Some, like electric, H2O & cell companies, offer discounts during these off-peak times. If it isn't off-peak, there are no incentives to discount.

09-24-09 06:01 PM
    I agree with you 100% there, Mike - but one area that usage modeling misses, or can only assume, is potential changes to usage patterns. What may not be true today, may change tomorrow if times were altered.

The biggest reason for peak/offpeak is just that - an attempt to utilize network capacity when there is extra to be had.

The last time I looked at non-local data, VZW & AT&T network traffic doesn't really begin to subside until somewhere in the 8:00PM hour, while the smaller carriers typically see theirs fall off one to three hours earlier.

Any utility, be it electric, water, POTS, or cellular, must build to meet peak demands. Some, like electric, H2O & cell companies, offer discounts during these off-peak times. If it isn't off-peak, there are no incentives to discount.

That's something I didn't consider. I was looking at it from just a marketing perspective, but there are logistical concepts to take into consideration. That 9PM cutoff keeps the cheapskates off the network during peak hours, reserving that time for customers insensitive to minutes used and who probably make a lot of money for Verizon.

If the network is already at or just under peak traffic at 7PM EST, lowering the cutoff to 7pm doesn't make a whole lot of business sense as it could create unnecessary strain to the infrastructure.
    09-24-09 06:44 PM
    In a perfect world, marketing, engineering & accounting all agree.

We don't live in a perfect world, though.

Marketing says "we need it." Engineering says "we can do it."

In the meantime, can we just shoot all the beancounters?

09-24-09 07:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD