Now that Verizon is already testing 4G in two markets, anyone have any idea if any of the existing devices will be convertible to take advantage of the 4G network?
    08-19-09 12:24 AM
    Entirely different technology, no current devices will work with LTE.
    08-19-09 12:55 AM
    They must be testing in their two markets with some kind of a device. Ya gotta think that maybe some of us might want to wait for compatible devices rather than upgrade now.
    08-19-09 01:04 AM
    You don't need a phone to test networks. In fact, phones are one of the last devices you want to use for testing.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-19-09 01:12 AM
    In the lastest press release about the current testing, Verizon talked about the handsets they were using for test, indicating they were very early prototypes, and nothing close to what would eventually reach customers.

Probably some kind of barebones handset/receiver, with very unpretty software on it, just capable of doing data tests.

I would also agree that durring the initial LTE rollout, there will probably be hybrid EVDO/LTE handsets, similar to the hybrid CDMA/iDen handsets that SprintNextel has.
    08-19-09 04:03 PM
    Just curious as to whether anyone knows how long Verizon is going to continue EVDO?
    08-19-09 04:49 PM
    IProbably some kind of barebones handset/receiver, with very unpretty software on it, just capable of doing data tests.
    Or rolling trucks with hard-mounted equipment or laptops with LTE cards or...
    I would also agree that durring the initial LTE rollout, there will probably be hybrid EVDO/LTE handsets, similar to the hybrid CDMA/iDen handsets that SprintNextel has.
    Not even hybrids really - dual mode would work, much like the current Storm or WE BlackBerrys. It might preclude GSM capability on some devices.

Give it three years after the commercial rollout before the EVDO network starts to be phased out - customers will be upgrading their devices & can be put into the newer technology. The 1xRTT CDMA side will continue on for at least a decade, as a reliable backup and to cover those folks who can't seem to find a need to upgrade their Verizon Coupes.

08-19-09 05:06 PM
    The 1xRTT CDMA side will continue on for at least a decade, as a reliable backup and to cover those folks who can't seem to find a need to upgrade their Verizon Coupes.
    So true, so true...lol.
    08-19-09 07:35 PM
    Verizon has completed the testing, not just started it.

08-21-09 01:50 AM
    Probably some kind of barebones handset/receiver, with very unpretty software on it, just capable of doing data tests.
    They're using IPhones?
    08-21-09 06:11 AM
    dual mode would work, much like the current Storm or WE BlackBerrys. It might preclude GSM capability on some devices.

Give it three years after the commercial rollout before the EVDO network starts to be phased out - customers will be upgrading their devices & can be put into the newer technology. The 1xRTT CDMA side will continue on for at least a decade, as a reliable backup and to cover those folks who can't seem to find a need to upgrade their Verizon Coupes.
    From press releases, so the store is not being given away.

Current phones will not be upgradeable to 4G. But the current network will remain intact until approximately 2014.

1xRTT will remain active and will even be upgraded over at least the next decade and probably beyond. Initially it will be for voice. Eventually, it will be voice backup.

Regular phone owners will stay mostly on 1xRTT, since there is no benefit. Regular phone users who access data services will do so either through 3G EVDO or 4F LTE depending on the phone.

LTE phones will be able to fall back on EVDO with slower speeds, but EVDO phones will not be able to use the LTE network.

08-21-09 07:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD