Hi
    Does anyone know if their 4G LTE signal strength improves with software updates? I have a Z10 and am running 10.1.0.2039 and do not want to install any leaks. I would rather wait until the official is announced. Coming from a 9850 which was always a great signal in my area, I noticed that my 4G LTE is a lot weaker for me and sometimes I have been getting dropped calls, where on my other phone, I never experienced this before. I know 4G LTE is strong in my area, but noticed in certain rooms of my house I am dropping more calls then I would like to. I do not want to have to go in certain rooms just to be able to talk on my phone. Any ideas or thoughts?

Other then this factor, this is an awesome phone. Please don't tell me to get a Z30. I like the Z30 and I am sure things are improved with the new antenna, but I prefer the size of the Z10 to the Z30

Thanks
    12-21-13 12:25 PM
    4G is for data, 3G is for phone calls. My 3G signal is about the same and have better call quality.

CB10 via Z10 on 10.2.0.429
    12-21-13 04:24 PM
    4G is for data, 3G is for phone calls. My 3G signal is about the same and have better call quality.

How do I switch it to 3G, or does it do this automatically while on call?
    12-21-13 04:56 PM
    I've installed the Rogers 10.2 on my z10 and I do believe I'm getting better 4G strength. I would recommend loading this. It is not a leak. It is the official 10.2 that Rogers has already released to its customers. There are several threads here about how to do this using sachesi. I was apprehensive as well but decided to go ahead and do it a few days ago...it's been flawless!

Z10
    12-21-13 06:55 PM
    I'm on Verizon and I am on a mac. I dont have my hard drive partitioned to be able to do this, so I have to wait for the official. Thanks for the advice though. I appreciate it
    12-21-13 07:19 PM
    How do I switch it to 3G, or does it do this automatically while on call?

4G LTE signal-img_00000117.png
    4G LTE signal-img_00000116.png

When you activate WiFi you automatically exit 4GLTE, thus not using your data plan. As long as it remains activated, 3G is always on. Signal strength seems the same.

Highly recommend Sachesi update to OS 10.2

12-22-13 10:16 AM
    I am not on Wi-Fi as I have unlimited data. I have never seen any kind of 3G anything on my phone. Maybe because even though it is on Verizon it is unlocked? Can that be the issue
    12-22-13 10:23 AM
    I am not on Wi-Fi as I have unlimited data. I have never seen any kind of 3G anything on my phone. Maybe because even though it is on Verizon it is unlocked? Can that be the issue

4G LTE signal-img_00000118.png
    Here's what it looks like with Mobil Network turned off. The only time I've seen "3G" is when 4G was not available. VZW BlackBerry comes unlocked. This allows flexibility in Sim card selection and international travel.

Simultaneous 4G and 3G allow you to browse and talk at the same time. Without a 4G signal you need WiFi to do this.

The Z10 does seem to be more sensitive to wireless interference from other devices. I would look to this as a possible source of your signal problem.

12-22-13 11:54 AM
    Yes I also got a more stable antenna with my Z10 when I upgraded to a leak.

Posted for my Z30 on CB10
    12-22-13 11:59 AM
    Thanks for all of the help and input I do appreciate it. BTW ihiker, those are some awesome screen shots. I can only hope when Verizon releases the update that I get half of the features that everyone that is running leaks seems to get. I would be very happy for awhile. Your theory also proves correct. When I am near my mac with my phone I only get two bars of signal, when I am in another room or away from it, it goes up to 3. I guess I was just so used to seeing full bars all of the time when I was on my 3G 9850 that I just came off of
    12-22-13 01:23 PM
    Umm this thread is full of misinformation about 3G and 4G. LTE is what you want to be on at all times if not on wifi.

LTE allows the simultaneous talk and data use. 3G does not. It does this through SVLTE. You need to have LTE to do this. It will not work on 3G since BlackBerry does not support SVDO.

You will almost never have additional signal strength for 3G than 4G LTE UNLESS the tower closest to you only had 3G. This is almost impossible since almost all Verizon towers have LTE now.

Verizon LTE (band 13, 700mhz) is lower frequency than 3G for increased penetration and further signal travel. LTE also has better throughout and reliability at lower bars than 3G EVDO.

Posted via CB10
    LudwigvonKast likes this.
    12-22-13 01:33 PM
    Umm this thread is full of misinformation about 3G and 4G. LTE is what you want to be on at all times if not on wifi.

LTE allows the simultaneous talk and data use. 3G does not. It does this through SVLTE. You need to have LTE to do this. It will not work on 3G since BlackBerry does not support SVDO.

You will almost never have additional signal strength for 3G than 4G LTE UNLESS the tower closest to you only had 3G. This is almost impossible since almost all Verizon towers have LTE now.

Verizon LTE (band 13, 700mhz) is lower frequency than 3G for increased penetration and further signal travel. LTE also has better throughout and reliability at lower bars than 3G EVDO.

Posted via CB10
    Read my posts again...all you've done is reword what I said and added some technical specs. Also, you can only get 3G in some less populated areas...no 4G.

12-22-13 01:56 PM

Posted via CB10
    LTE only allows simultaneous voice and data due to the fact voice goes over 3G CDMA. However, VoLTE is scheduled to roll out in 2014.

12-22-13 02:23 PM
    Read my posts again...all you've done is reword what I said and added some technical specs. Also, you can only get 3G in some less populated areas...no 4G.

No you said you get better voice quality with 3G. You don't. Voice always goes over the 1x CDMA channel. This is NOT 3G EVDO. 3G EVDO is only for data.

Almost nowhere in Verizon's network do they only have 3G. They advertised over 98% network penetration of LTE months ago.

LTE only allows simultaneous voice and data due to the fact voice goes over 3G CDMA. However, VoLTE is scheduled to roll out in 2014.

It goes over the 1x CDMA channel not 3G.

Posted via CB10
    12-22-13 02:35 PM
    No you said you get better voice quality with 3G. You don't. Voice always goes over the 1x CDMA channel. This is NOT 3G EVDO. 3G EVDO is only for data.

Answering the OPs question about OS 10.2 performance over 10.1 stated I have better voice quality...and I do.

Almost nowhere in Verizon's network do they only have 3G. They advertised over 98% network penetration of LTE months ago.

At my beach house on St. George I only have 3G

It goes over the 1x CDMA channel not 3G.

Posted via CB10
    4G Users Get 3G Voice (Posted 12/17/2013 in Investor's Business Daily)
    http://news.investors.com/technology...014.htm?p=full

Verizon has 36 million subscribers — including smartphone, laptop and tablet users — connected to its 4G network. But voice calls made by smartphone users are switched to its older 3G network.

"We will light up the VoLTE rollout starting in the first half of next year. So we are still very much on track," Fran Shammo, Verizon Communications (VZ) CFO, said on the company's Q3 earnings call in October. Verizon is in the process of buying out Vodafone's (VOD) 45% stake in Verizon Wireless.

Verizon has the largest 4G LTE network, with AT&T (T) next. Verizon's 4G LTE network reaches markets with more than 300 million people.

Verizon's 4G network has been taxed by heavy use in some markets. It's been adding network capacity in New York, San Francisco and Chicago by deploying more spectrum and radio antennas.

VoLTE's rollout is tied to making sure customers don't have dropped calls or service interruptions. Verizon originally targeted late 2012 for deploying VoLTE.

"We will not rush the VoLTE launch until we are sure that when you connect up a VoLTE voice call it will be very, very similar to a 3G CDMA call, because that is what our customers expect," Shammo said on the earnings call.

Read More At Investor's Business Daily: Verizon, Other Wireless Firms And Suppliers Eye 4G Voice Rollout - Investors.com
    Follow us: @IBDinvestors on Twitter | InvestorsBusinessDaily on Facebook
    Last edited by i_hiker; 12-22-13 at 03:53 PM.
    geekaren likes this.
    12-22-13 03:42 PM
    I have several 4G devices in my home and all of them get the same signal no real difference. From what I understand Verizon installed their 4G in as many places as possible and now they are going around fine tuning weak areas.

I have lived in the same area for 15 years and always had great service but with the Smart phone boom the bandwith is being used up and Verizon is adding towers where needed.

I always had 3 to 4 bars in my home now I need a network extender just to make a call!

Posted via CB10
    01-28-14 05:40 AM
    What's the bit about no 4G with the wifi on? I always leave my wifi on, but if it takes away 4G, I'm going to have to reconsider.

Posted via CB10
    01-28-14 06:09 AM
    I have several 4G devices in my home and all of them get the same signal no real difference. From what I understand Verizon installed their 4G in as many places as possible and now they are going around fine tuning weak areas.

I have lived in the same area for 15 years and always had great service but with the Smart phone boom the bandwith is being used up and Verizon is adding towers where needed.

I always had 3 to 4 bars in my home now I need a network extender just to make a call!

Posted via CB10
    What is a network extender and how expensive and what exactly does this allow?

Posted via CB10
    01-28-14 07:29 AM
    I meant to say what does this involve?

Posted via CB10
    01-28-14 07:30 AM
    Sprint and Verizon use a samsung device that is like a little cell tower in your home/office, that makes a cell signal and runs the calls over your high speed Internet. So you should be able to plug one into your Internet with no cell service and make calls on your cellphone. If I remember right it works for 300 - 500 square feet. My sprint one worked great and they charged 4.99 a month. Intial cost was $199. I believe verizon charges $249 initially but no monthly charge.

Posted via CB10
    01-28-14 01:28 PM
    Thanks for the valuable information. You do not have to be in the same room but it works within a certain range? This is a plug and play and not something that anyone has to come out to inatall?

Thanks again for the help I have to look into this

Posted via CB10
    01-28-14 01:52 PM
    It worked for my whole house and some outside. Plug n play. Takes about a half hour for it to find a gps location and go thru a set up. You need at least a half Meg Internet speed for it to work correctly.

Posted via CB10
    01-28-14 02:09 PM
    01-28-14 02:12 PM
    Thanks again. And you can use this with any system? As I'm running a mac

Thanks for the link

Posted via CB10
    01-28-14 02:46 PM
    Yes. It plugs into your Internet providers router and has nothing to do with your computer.

Posted via CB10
    01-28-14 02:54 PM