I'm hearing where some people are stating they can get 3rd party applications to work if they activate VZ Nav in the "follow me" mode.

Are there any actual VERIZON Curve users who have been able to make that work?
    04-04-09 04:19 PM
    They are lying to you. If a third party software maker has not gotten permission to use the tower PDE, their software will not have access to the info needed to work.

It has nothing to do with your phone. It has everything to do with VZW not wanting to grant full access to their equipment without security approval & licensing.

VZNav can access the positioning systems, as can BBMaps. Currently, no other software developer has qualified.

Unless you have a Curve from a small run of phones with a dual-mode GPS chip, you will need a puck.

Why doesn't VZW allow open access to the PDEs? Cost & network load are two reasons. Customer privacy is the biggest reason. If the app has full access to the PDE, it also has access to all kinds of things about you.

And it isn't something you can ask for to the exclusion of everyone else. If they allow privacy threatening apps for one, they have to then open it for all.

Personally, I don't want the likes of Google and other major privacy violators access to my info.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-04-09 07:51 PM
    The enabling of follow me mode in Nznav is false. I tried it using the GPS feature of Google Maps and Live Search. GPS did not work.

04-05-09 03:08 PM
    The enabling of follow me mode in Nznav is false. I tried it using the GPS feature of Google Maps and Live Search. GPS did not work.

I can't get it to work either. Why do you think people are saying it works for them?
    04-05-09 03:10 PM
    I can't get it to work either. Why do you think people are saying it works for them?
    Quite possibly because some like to make it sound like they accomplished something that the system doesn't allow. Others may be having a simple misunderstanding.

I've seen a lot of people here claim GoogleMaps works for them, but when run, it gives some atrocious accuracy distance - sometimes telling you "within 5000 meters" or the like. That indicates it is running in tower triangulation mode, which isn't accurate in the open network mode. The proprietary mode can bring that down to under 500 meters, but carriers generally don't allow access to that data.

The common misperception is that VZW has the GPS chip locked & that VZNav somehow unlocks it. The reality is that VZW is only allowing proprietary network access to VZNav & BBMaps. The chip in your phone is untouched and, in reality, can only be turned on or off - something you do within your Options menu.

04-05-09 03:30 PM
    I managed to get live search to use my location info on my pearl once. I did just what the op said and had VZNav running in follow me mode.

It was cumbersome and slow though. WLS did not offer anything Vznav didn't so it was pointless.

04-05-09 05:01 PM
    I managed to get live search to use my location info on my pearl once. I did just what the op said and had VZNav running in follow me mode.

It was cumbersome and slow though. WLS did not offer anything Vznav didn't so it was pointless.

Except for the fact that WLS is free!!!
    04-05-09 05:25 PM
    If you have to run VZNav to get it to work, how is that free?

04-05-09 05:27 PM
    If you have to run VZNav to get it to work, how is that free?

WLS works outside of the Verizon world.
    04-05-09 06:41 PM
    WLS works outside of the Verizon world.
    But so does VZNav - rebranded for other carriers.

04-05-09 06:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD