I just moved into an apartment that has no service except one bar near the windows. I gave Verizon Wireless a call, and they said my safest bet was the Network Extender. I was looking into the device long before it was recommended to me, and I found that the FCC recently approved a 3G version of Verizon's device, which was originally aimed for a second quarter release (kind of late for that now). I'm anticipating a release by the end of the year, and am wondering whether or not I should wait for the 3G version or just pick up the 1X version of it now (it's being offered to me at $100).

The device plugs into a router and utilizes a broadband connection within the home. However, my Bold 9650 is wifi-enabled. Theoretically, data speeds would be faster over wifi than 3G. Are there any benefits to a 3G Network Extender if I already have wifi?

Would I be able to receive emails and BBMs over wifi? I have an unlimited BlackBerry data plan from Verizon, so I do have BIS.

Thanks in advance for help.
    09-03-10 08:39 AM
    thejohnathanlee:

I have a 9650 and the network extender and it works great. The problem I have is with voice, not data. The NE takes care of the voice problem and the WIFI I use for data. Hope this helps.

Barry
    09-03-10 08:52 AM
    For the same price, I would stick it out. I have a network extender and it works very well. Wifi works great with the n/e. I don't know about getting BBM over wifi, but everything else works fine.

As for sticking it out, I you can put up with your situation then stick it out, else go for it and don't look back.
    09-03-10 09:53 AM
    Go get the thing now, because all you need it for is calls. Everything on your phone will work (BBM, emails, browser, etc.) but calls over wifi. Voice calls aren't really affected by 3G or 1X.

There are NO benefits to the 3G network extender if you already have wifi. So I would jump on their offer of $100 for the 1X one. The 3G will be at least twice that when it finally comes out.
    09-03-10 10:14 AM
    I wish I could get one for that price.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-03-10 10:19 AM
    Get it, the wifi will handle your data, the 1X will handle your calls, you can't beat that 100 price, seen them as high as over 200!
    09-03-10 11:44 AM
    Thanks everyone for your responses.

I just wanted to clarify: I should be able to send/receive BBMs over wifi, correct? It's a necessity for work.
    09-03-10 12:15 PM
    Yes, BBM and emails will work great over wifi. If your really concerned about it, just shut your Mobile Network off. Then try to send an email or BBM, as long as your wifi symbol is white it will work.
    09-03-10 12:17 PM
    How can you get a network extender for $100?
    09-03-10 08:29 PM
    How can you get a network extender for $100?
    That is something I would like to know also. Missed important call yesterday at home and voicemail popped up later.
    09-04-10 10:34 AM
    wondering whether or not I should wait for the 3G version or just pick up the 1X version of it now (it's being offered to me at $100).
    Yes BBM and e-mail work over wifi.

However don't forget 1X supports both voice and data (NOT simultaneously) so even if your WiFi doesn't work, you will still receive BBMs, e-mails, data, etc. over the 1X connection created by your Network Extender.

No need to worry, you will just get 2G data speeds at home. Fire up your WiFi and you'll get simultaneous voice and data at home
    09-04-10 11:44 PM
    Thanks for the replies, everyone. I jumped on the $100 offer. I had troubles getting the GPS signal on the extender, but I worked it out by placing the GPS extension outside of a window to receive the initial signal. I ended up bringing it back inside with no issues.

I was offered the network extender for that price through an incredibly nice CSR. I consider myself lucky.
    09-05-10 01:18 AM
    have two very recent network extenders, one at home and one at my office. my bb phone number is set as preferred. both NE's boot up fine, lights all ok.

the only issue is that pairing to the NE's usually takes at least an hour of close proximity to the , NE. I understand that everytime i go from a tower call, hang up, and want to pain with a NE, that i have to be within 10 feet of the NE. But it's the hour ait that's a pita.

Once paired, he NE connection is rock solid over several hundred foot radius.

Both of my locations have similar routers, firewalls, and voip qos devices. Consensus of VZW network engineers is that the issue is with the bb and the NE and the towers, not a conflict with my router, fw, or qos.

One theory was the 3g NE's get confused by the bb data push and don't pair when the bb is pushing data to/from the towers, which is often. Hence hour delay.

-len (oakland ca)
    03-17-11 09:56 AM
    the only issue is that pairing to the NE's usually takes at least an hour of close proximity to the , NE. I understand that everytime i go from a tower call, hang up, and want to pain with a NE, that i have to be within 10 feet of the NE. But it's the hour ait that's a pita.
    Actually don't quite understand this, either. Had similar issues with my Bold 9650 on the 1X NE. The Bold preferred to stay connected to 0-1 bars of service than connect to the NE, even though it sat underneath it for LONG periods of time.

However, my Palm Pre connects immediately, and my friends' phones (Droids, dumbphones) pair immediately. I haven't been to where the NE is since getting the iPhone so I don't know how that pairs.

It's frustrating, bc the NE works amazingly.
    03-18-11 06:31 AM
    have two very recent network extenders, one at home and one at my office. my bb phone number is set as preferred. both NE's boot up fine, lights all ok.

Once paired, he NE connection is rock solid over several hundred foot radius.

Both of my locations have similar routers, firewalls, and voip qos devices. Consensus of VZW network engineers is that the issue is with the bb and the NE and the towers, not a conflict with my router, fw, or qos.

One theory was the 3g NE's get confused by the bb data push and don't pair when the bb is pushing data to/from the towers, which is often. Hence hour delay.

-len (oakland ca)
    Actually don't quite understand this, either. Had similar issues with my Bold 9650 on the 1X NE. The Bold preferred to stay connected to 0-1 bars of service than connect to the NE, even though it sat underneath it for LONG periods of time.

However, my Palm Pre connects immediately, and my friends' phones (Droids, dumbphones) pair immediately. I haven't been to where the NE is since getting the iPhone so I don't know how that pairs.

It's frustrating, bc the NE works amazingly.
    First off - the 3G unit does support 3G data, but only on 4 of the channels. The other 3 are 1X only. and the 8th is for 911 only.

Here is a test you can try just to see if it can help. If your device that is WIFI capable, try to use the WIFI data in these locations and see if the device will attach faster. I do know that on old 1X unit that BB devices would want the faster data and could drop off the the net ext. So in theory this might be the case with the 3G unit if your device is attached to one of the 1X channels.

Just a test to see if it helps. If it does can you please post your results here.

Thanks
    03-18-11 09:04 AM
    same problem! but I have the old network extender and 3g phone! it takes forever to connect or barely does!! ahhhh!!!
    03-29-11 07:43 PM
    Now we are going to need 4G extenders!!!!!!
    03-29-11 07:46 PM
    turning off data service cuts the pairing/handoff time to the 3g network extender down to about 5 to 10 mins max.

btw, if data services turned off, but using 3g thru the extender, when i turn on wifi my exchange won't synch. i assume people here were synching with their pc bb manager not bes or besx?

-len
    04-06-11 11:31 AM
    if data is off, dialing #48 says I have NE coverage; then I turn ON data -> then #48 says I continue to have NE coverage.

Suppose that’s a work around. Wish there as a shortcut I cut put on my desktop to make it easy to turn off only data and then turn it back on. I have an app that does that for all communications, not just data.

A buddy of mine with VZW iphone data plan does not have this problem on my network extender.

-len
    04-06-11 03:56 PM
    The Verizon network extender is the real deal. Expensive, yes, but after the ridiculously easy set-up, I went from one bar to five bars. Verizon should provide these for free to its customers with weak signal issues, but we all know that's not going to happen....
    04-26-11 08:32 PM
    connecting via wifi had no effect on the long delay in pairing to the NE.

turning off data services via the phone network greatly shortened the pairing time, but only on one of my two NE locations.

The other one almost never pairs for the bb, but pairs fine for iphones.

btw, the vzw network engineers keep telling me that the number of bars is irrelevant unless very few. ie. 1 bar means poor connection, but 5 bars doesn't necessarily mean good connection.

where my second NE is located, on a piece of land jutting out into the SF Bay from Oakland, I'm equidistant from several strong vzw cell towers. i get 5 bars w/o an extender but very choppy, frequent drop w/o the NE.

VZW network engineer confirms now there is a problem w BB's and the NE's. No fix in sight.

-len
    04-27-11 05:44 PM
    My service at home is poor. I've dropped calls and the ones I do make are not good. VZW suggested the network extender. My problem (other than the price of course) is that my router is located in my basement in the utility box. I have no window nearby. Even with the external antenna I couldn't get to a window. Do I get another router and plug it into a phone jack somewhere and then plug the NE into that near a window, is the NE just not going to be an option for me,....? I can't move my original router (as far as I know anyway) because it plugs into my Time Warner router box which is located with the utilities. Any suggestions?
    06-12-11 08:55 AM
    "The network extender needs to communicate with GPS satellites at all times for peak efficiency. If it is unplugged and placed in the basement it would need to re-establish GPS satellite connectivity.
    However, there is a 50 foot cord that can be attached to the Network Extender and the GPS antenna, and if this is placed near a window and establishes GPS connectivity it is possible that it will continue to function if the GPS antenna is brought back down to the basement, although the GPS antenna may need to be brought back upstairs every once in a while.
    Another possibility is keeping the extender on the first floor and turning the radio antenna on it sideways, as the broadcast occurs on the edges of the antenna."
    pryan likes this.
    06-13-11 08:51 PM
    This NE works so well, i can't live without it. I have used it for over 2 years without issue.
    06-27-11 09:52 PM
    I'm glad to hear that it works well. Hope to have mine today. Does anyone have a suggestion for this problem: my router is located in my basement and is not near a window. I won't be able to get to one using the external antenna either. Do I need a second router to "talk" to my first one? I can't move the original router because it is tied into my cable service which is located where all of my other services are in the basement.
    06-28-11 05:27 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD