Ok, so I realize that this is a forum for BB's, which I have and love. BUT, I'm slated to get my upgrade the first week of November which I will be taking advantage of but my wife is also set to get her upgrade and has been using a dumb phone and I wanted to get her an upgrade. I have been looking at the 3G Multimedia phones as they are "cooler" in her words and have some social network features to them. Has anyone out there had any experience with any of the "Multimedia Phones" that are available and possibly have any insight? Looks like the data on them is $9.99 versus the $29.99 which is why I was leaning in this direction.

What are your thoughts? Any insight?
    09-27-10 04:15 PM
    Looking at this some more it looks like for $9.99 you get 25mb of data / web use per month. For this type of phone and occasional use do you think that would be enough data???
    09-27-10 04:26 PM
    Ok, so I realize that this is a forum for BB's, which I have and love. BUT, I'm slated to get my upgrade the first week of November which I will be taking advantage of but my wife is also set to get her upgrade and has been using a dumb phone and I wanted to get her an upgrade. I have been looking at the 3G Multimedia phones as they are "cooler" in her words and have some social network features to them. Has anyone out there had any experience with any of the "Multimedia Phones" that are available and possibly have any insight? Looks like the data on them is $9.99 versus the $29.99 which is why I was leaning in this direction.

What are your thoughts? Any insight?
    I would avoid the Env3/Touch, the Choc Touch is hit or miss. Samsung Reality gets my vote if you get any of the MM phones.
    09-27-10 04:26 PM
    I'd suggest going to a smartphone than downgrade to a Multimedia phone, and here's why:

Smaller Data package required for the device, so you don't get as much as you have on your BB now. Sure you can get the unlimited package on it, but you'd be wasting your money.

Capabilities of phone. You're going to lose quite a few things by switching to a multimedia phone. The "apps" that are on the phone are usually hyperlinks to the mobile websites, so don't get too excited there. The phone is running Verizon's proprietary software, so no customization EXCEPT for wallpapers and ringtones.

Overall Feel. Its something I tell my customers all the time, and its 100% true. When you go to a smartphone, its hard to go back to anything but. You get so used to the features on your device that they're practically normal to you. But once you downgrade, you start to notice that you can't do as much.

But, all I can do is make a suggestion. Its 100% up to you on what you want to do. If you decide to go to a 3G Multimedia Device, AVOID THE ENV TOUCH! I've had more complaints on that device than any other. Go for something like the Samsung Reality. I've had nothing but awesome reviews on that device from customers.
    09-27-10 04:34 PM
    Oh yeah, I'll be going to a Droid X for my own phone personally. I'm talking about a phone for my wife. She has been using a dumb phone w/ T9 text entry forever so I'm wondering if a multi-media phone would be a big upgrade for her, I would think that it would be. Sorry if I wasn't clear. No way could I go away from a smart phone after having one. Thanks for the info on the LG though, the Samsung was the one I was looking into.
    09-27-10 04:43 PM
    Looking at this some more it looks like for $9.99 you get 25mb of data / web use per month. For this type of phone and occasional use do you think that would be enough data???
    It really depends.. If it's your wife just doing some occassional FBing here and there and some other things, you should probably be ok. But if it's consistent usage over the course of the day like checking pictures, status, feeds, etc all day, then 25 will go quick. If she seems like she might go above that alotment, you might as well goto a smartphone since you're paying the same price.
    09-27-10 05:03 PM
    I just went down to the local verizon store and talked about my upgrade as well and was told if I could hold off the the first of the year I would be alot happier since 4G is comming soon. new lineup of phones comming.
    09-27-10 11:19 PM
    I just went down to the local verizon store and talked about my upgrade as well and was told if I could hold off the the first of the year I would be alot happier since 4G is comming soon. new lineup of phones comming.
    The other nice thing is that it is rumored that the 3G Multimedia category will go away and most of the new phones will not have a data plan requirement unless it's a smart phone. Maybe the wife will like some of the newer phones that don't require data hopefully there will be a solid lineup of 4G phones early on.
    09-28-10 10:05 PM
    Yeah after talking to her and going over some online she said she doesn't want one of the multimedia phones, just wants someone that has a qwerty keyboard for texting. We'll see I guess what is available when she is ready for her new one.
    09-28-10 11:11 PM
    The two better phones that don't require any data are the LG Cosmos and the Samsung Intensity 2.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-28-10 11:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD