Hello,

I have a new 8830 Curve from Verizon that is supposed to be 3G. My roommate has a Curve from TMobile (I think 8310 or 8320) and it seems like we get the exact same speeds in the Browser and doing anything else but I thought 3G was supposed to be faster than the old Treos? He's not running WiFi or anything on his just using the TMobile signal. Is this normal? Should I see a 3G logo on the phone?

Thanks,
    Brandyn
    06-25-08 11:06 AM
    Your 8830 is 3G. It runs off EVDO. Do a search and see what comes up. Wiki EVDO also.
    06-25-08 12:26 PM
    there are a lot of factors that could be giving you and your friend similar speeds...

one way to eliminate a lot of those factors (but not all) is to race him both of you standing side-by-side load the same exact page at the same exact time. see what happens.

note: there are still plenty of other factors that you have no control over, but the bottom line is that your VZW curve has EVDO (which, for all intensive purposes, is '3G') and it has a capacity for much faster data transfer speeds...but that doesn't mean that you'll always get those faster speeds.
    06-25-08 01:16 PM
    It really depends on your reception strength. If you're in an area where you're just getting phone coverage but not good data coverage, that will affect the speed.

It won't say "3G" per se, but if there is a logo that says "1XEV" next to your signal strength, it means you're running at 3G speeds where you're standing. If it is something like "1X" you have phone coverage but not 3G speed. You'd have to look in the owners manual for all the different symbols, but I'm pretty sure of those two.
    06-25-08 02:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD