06-18-08 03:05 PM
26 12
tools
    I know that the Pearl for Verizon has 3G, but does the Curve and the 8830 have 3G for Verizon as well?
    06-09-08 03:50 PM
    Technically none of them do...
    06-09-08 03:59 PM
    Can you or someone explain that?
    06-09-08 04:00 PM
    3G for CDMA carriers is called EVDO service, and all Verizon BlackBerries have it. For GSM carriers, it is called "3G", or HSPDA/HSPA. So yes, to answer your question, Verizon blackberries have 3G service.
    06-09-08 04:10 PM
    Thanks guys
    06-09-08 04:12 PM
    3G for CDMA carriers is called EVDO service, and all Verizon BlackBerries have it. For GSM carriers, it is called "3G", or HSPDA/HSPA. So yes, to answer your question, Verizon blackberries have 3G service.
    Sorry but that is not all correct. 3g in terms of it being on a BB is different than it is on other devices. There are no BBs that have true 3g.
    06-09-08 04:18 PM
    Do you have any facts to present or are you going to just continue to make things up?

Verizon's current blackberries have EVDO which is 3g. Period.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-09-08 06:12 PM
    Sorry but that is not all correct. 3g in terms of it being on a BB is different than it is on other devices. There are no BBs that have true 3g.
    Sorry dude, but you're wrong. All current CDMA Blackberries are 3G. The GSM Blackberries are not, until the Bold releases. Verizon will be moving to LTE soon which will be 4G technology.

Don't confuse terminology with speed revisions. What applies to GSM is not the same to CDMA and while it's false to say that 3G from AT&T is the same as 3G from CDMA, it's even more wrong to say that EVDO is not 3G.
    06-09-08 09:28 PM
    Don't confuse terminology with speed revisions.
    so are you saying that 3g gsm is the same as 3g cdma in terms of speed?
    06-10-08 11:33 AM
    "3G" is just a standard set speed agreed upon and given the name "3rd Generation." The speeds are not all identical, but fall within a certain range if I am not mistaken.

And yes, sunkast is wrong. Verizon/Sprint BlackBerries are 3G, and T-Mobile/AT&T BlackBerries are not 3G, nor will they be until the Bold. He's just jealously misinformed, so don't listen.
    06-10-08 01:30 PM
    Verizon's 8330 Curve is definitely 3G/EVDO. This is one of the reasons why I held out for a Curve on Verizon, because Verizon and Sprint are the only domestic carriers that sell a true 3G Curve. AT&T and T-Mobile have much slower 2G Curves. AT&T is far behind Verizon and Sprint in data speed implementation, I would never consider AT&T or T-Mobile if data speed is your concern.
    06-10-08 01:35 PM
    Sorry, Alltel's 8330 Curve is also 3G/EVDO as well.
    06-10-08 01:37 PM
    Read the article on MSNBC:

www. msnbc.msn.com /id/24950650

It clearly tells us that no blackberry is 3G in the same terms of what the new iphone is going to be. So if you're wondering if its 3G in terms that EVDO = 3G on a CDMA device then your answer is yes. But EVDO is NOT equal to the 3G that the iphone will be on. The speeds are way different. The Bold will be the first to able to pick up the speeds in the same way as the new iphone.
    06-10-08 01:46 PM
    Read the article on MSNBC:

www. msnbc.msn.com /id/24950650

It clearly tells us that no blackberry is 3G in the same terms of what the new iphone is going to be. So if you're wondering if its 3G in terms that EVDO = 3G on a CDMA device then your answer is yes. But EVDO is NOT equal to the 3G that the iphone will be on. The speeds are way different. The Bold will be the first to able to pick up the speeds in the same way as the new iphone.
    Why do people always pull the IPhone card out after reading one article... **Sigh**

Lets get a few FACTS str8... EVDO has a variation to compete with the "IPhone 3G" as you put it and its called EVDO Rev. A. For the record the "3G" on the IPhone is HSDPA which has been on the GSM phones for a while. Frankly the IPhone should have had 3G when it first came out but thats an arguement for another day. BTW EVDO and HSDPA are comperable as they have both evolved from previous standards. Second the IPhone 3G JUST CAME OUT WITH 3G where as crackberries have had 3G on the CDMA side for god only knows how long. So while the crackberries (and the original IPhone) on the GSM side were putting along, the CDMA ones were crusing. Third... The speeds are UP TO 2MB / sec... Will you ever see that... Not likely. As a person who had an aircard from AT&T which was HSDPA 7.2 ready, I barely got past 1.4MB with my laptop and REAL processing power and a REAL web browser. What can you do on the IPhone that will require a "theoretical" 2MB connection other than download music? You surely aint going to download that 20k e-mail any faster thats for sure... The only thing you can do faster on an IPhone is DL Pr0n websites faster and get your rocks off a little quicker... thats it! EVDO (non Rev A.) is plenty fast for a crackberry especially with the web page compression that it does.

Save the whole "All new kick a** Iphone argument for the apple fanboy forums. By the way I am an apple owner and am typing this on a Macbook!

I get so tired of people trying to compare the IPhone to the crackberry when there is no real contest...
    Last edited by BlondeBoyL; 06-10-08 at 02:32 PM.
    06-10-08 02:24 PM
    No one is comparing to the IPHONE but the author of that article. The point in referring to the article is to bring to attention the point that EVDO is NOT the same as 3G on a GSM network which is the reason why Verizon will be moving to so-called 4G which is "suppose to be equivalent to 3G on GSM networks. Do I think 3G on ATT is going to be faster than EDVO on Verizon...probably which is why verizon will be moving to faster technology. So stop focusing on the iphone comparison in the article and understand that NO current blackberry operates on technology as fast as the GSM's 3g is supposed to. 3G CDMA not equal 3G GSM. All of this talk about 3G came up because of the iphone so its only fitting that an article will discuss the technology differences using and IPHONE. I hate Iphones but their 3G will be (or is supposed to be) faster for NOW.
    06-10-08 02:41 PM
    so are you saying that 3g gsm is the same as 3g cdma in terms of speed?
    No, current EVDO Rev0 is not HSDPA Speed. Where in my post did you get that idea from?
    06-11-08 12:07 AM
    No one is comparing to the IPHONE but the author of that article. The point in referring to the article is to bring to attention the point that EVDO is NOT the same as 3G on a GSM network which is the reason why Verizon will be moving to so-called 4G which is "suppose to be equivalent to 3G on GSM networks. Do I think 3G on ATT is going to be faster than EDVO on Verizon...probably which is why verizon will be moving to faster technology. So stop focusing on the iphone comparison in the article and understand that NO current blackberry operates on technology as fast as the GSM's 3g is supposed to. 3G CDMA not equal 3G GSM. All of this talk about 3G came up because of the iphone so its only fitting that an article will discuss the technology differences using and IPHONE. I hate Iphones but their 3G will be (or is supposed to be) faster for NOW.
    You couldn't possibly be more wrong. 4G LTE is not the same speed as 3G. If you knew anything and actually read before you posted, you'd know that at&t, T-Mobile, and Verizon have all committed to LTE as their 4G technology. Yup, you read that right, and let me reiterate: All 3 will be using the same 4G technology. Now let's use common sense for just a minute: Why would at&t be "upgrading" to LTE 4G if it was the same speed as their 3G? Wouldn't that be a waste of millions and millions of dollars for no improvement whatsoever? That's what I thought. Try and use a little something called rationale next time you post.
    06-11-08 12:48 AM
    No, current EVDO Rev0 is not HSDPA Speed. Where in my post did you get that idea from?
    But RevA is pretty comparable, maybe faster in some situations, depending on the flavor of HSDPA. Too bad the Curve doesn't use RevA, but can they add it via a firmware update?
    06-12-08 03:59 AM
    But RevA is pretty comparable, maybe faster in some situations, depending on the flavor of HSDPA. Too bad the Curve doesn't use RevA, but can they add it via a firmware update?
    VZW denotes it as not being capable of it, but since it uses the same chipset that's in the XV6800 (which is RevA capable), I say... Why not?
    06-12-08 09:58 PM
    VZW denotes it as not being capable of it, but since it uses the same chipset that's in the XV6800 (which is RevA capable), I say... Why not?
    I can think of one reason: the XV6800 costs $400 while the 8330 is only $150. So even if they could enable RevA on the Curve they probably won't because it would only put more load on their system for no financial gain.
    06-13-08 04:45 AM
    I can think of one reason: the XV6800 costs $400 while the 8330 is only $150. So even if they could enable RevA on the Curve they probably won't because it would only put more load on their system for no financial gain.
    If that's the case, they have a lot more to worry about then "financial gain". I doubt it. If they don't enable it, it'll probably be more of a stupidity factor reason as to why.... you know, similar to why they disable MMS on the 8830 as well. Not because the phone doesn't support it, but because they don't know they can provision for it if the phone doesn't have a camera.
    06-13-08 09:50 AM
    They posted "Blackberry Device Software v4.3 dated 05/07. How would one know if it enables RevA? They don't say anything about it at all, actually, and the date is a few days before they became available through their retail stores.
    06-13-08 07:08 PM
    I was curious about the whole 3G thing. I didn't know 3G was just for the GSM networks. Does that mean that Verizon will not get the BOLD because it is 3G and would get the JAVELIN instead whenever it comes out? (I know that the Thunder is coming to Verizon, but it is a touchscreen)...
    06-18-08 08:44 AM
    3G isn't just for GSM networks. What ATT&T calls 3G is HSDPA (high-speed downlink packet access). 3G is a category, and AT&T calling HSDPA 3G is just marketing. The 3G CDMA technology is EVDO. HSDPA just happens to be WAY faster than EVDO Rev. C.
    06-18-08 12:55 PM
    As I keep saying, it all comes down to real world usability. Whoever's theoretical speed is faster is a moot point if you can't get a good, consistent signal. In my experience, Verizon has the best network coverage and will provide faster data speeds in more places than AT&T. It's nice if you have a super blazing fast AT&T data connection on your iPhone, but what good is it when you can't get a signal?
    06-18-08 02:44 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD