I got my first blackberry curve 2 years ago (maybe a tad more). At the time, the pink had just been released within the first 30 days of having my phone. I exchanged my silver for the pink, and I was NOT charged any restocking fee. In fact, I don't recall that being part of the Worry Free Guarantee at the time.

Today, I called VZW because I'm eligible for an upgrade under new every two. I asked about trying the Motorola Droid, and if I couldn't "deal" with this new type of phone, and I wanted to exchange it for the BB Tour under the Worry Free Guarantee, would that be a problem? I was told I could do that and I would be assessed a $35 restocking fee.

So I did look it up in the online FAQ, and I see that that policy is clearly spelled out.

But I know that 2 years ago, I was not charged anything to make my exchange for the pink from the silver BB curve. So I'm wondering if the $35 restocking fee is fairly new. The rep I spoke to insisted I must have "not noticed" the fee in the billing, but I'm the type who goes over every charge with a fine-toothed comb, and I know for a fact, I was not charged the fee.

Is it fairly new, or was I just lucky?
    04-14-10 12:07 PM
    I remember it being their policy for quite a while but not sure how long. Could it be they were being nice and didn't charge you because you weren't changing models only colors? Going from a Droid to a Tour would be a big change so I can see the need to charge.

On a side note, I went from a 8330 to the Droid as well and it was like going from a Pinto to a BMW! I actually liked the 8530 better then the Tour but wanted to try a different platform and even though there are a few minor things I miss about my BB I am glad I made the switch.
    04-14-10 12:26 PM
    I got my first blackberry curve 2 years ago (maybe a tad more). At the time, the pink had just been released within the first 30 days of having my phone. I exchanged my silver for the pink, and I was NOT charged any restocking fee. In fact, I don't recall that being part of the Worry Free Guarantee at the time.

Today, I called VZW because I'm eligible for an upgrade under new every two. I asked about trying the Motorola Droid, and if I couldn't "deal" with this new type of phone, and I wanted to exchange it for the BB Tour under the Worry Free Guarantee, would that be a problem? I was told I could do that and I would be assessed a $35 restocking fee.

So I did look it up in the online FAQ, and I see that that policy is clearly spelled out.

But I know that 2 years ago, I was not charged anything to make my exchange for the pink from the silver BB curve. So I'm wondering if the $35 restocking fee is fairly new. The rep I spoke to insisted I must have "not noticed" the fee in the billing, but I'm the type who goes over every charge with a fine-toothed comb, and I know for a fact, I was not charged the fee.

it's not necessarily new, but definitely more strict compared to 2 years ago
    04-14-10 12:26 PM
    restocking fee applies for nearly any big company. you were probably able to switch your silver bb curve for the pink one because you were just swapping the same phone for a different color. But they usually wont be so lenient when you test drive something and swap it for something totally different since they do got to resell the device.
    04-14-10 01:15 PM
    if you pay over like 100 bucks or something
    they consider you a "VIP Customer" and you have to tell them yourself and they waive the fee.
    04-14-10 01:28 PM
    if you pay over like 100 bucks or something
    they consider you a "VIP Customer" and you have to tell them yourself and they waive the fee.

The VIP program no longer exists, so they would not waive the fee. The only time they would waive the fee if the device is considered DOA.

It's not "new" but it did start last year. Because so many people took advantage of "let me try this phone and then that phone" VzW lost too much money with returns and exchanges. That's why the new motto is "the right device, the right plan..." Moral of the story: Do your homework, and pick the device you know you want.
    04-14-10 01:43 PM
    Thanks for the replies.

So I have another question. Back then, under the worry free guarantee, if there was a price drop within 30 days, you would get the difference (as my curve had dropped $50, and I did get that too back then). Do they still have that feature under the guarantee.

The M. Droid right now with new every two id $149 each, but last month it was b1g1free. So I figure it will go back to that immediately after I buy it.
    04-14-10 01:56 PM
    Thanks for the replies.

So I have another question. Back then, under the worry free guarantee, if there was a price drop within 30 days, you would get the difference (as my curve had dropped $50, and I did get that too back then). Do they still have that feature under the guarantee.

The M. Droid right now with new every two id $149 each, but last month it was b1g1free. So I figure it will go back to that immediately after I buy it.
    Yes, they still have the price match guarantee.
    04-14-10 02:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD