Verizon really disappointed me on this one. We have BB Bold and Tour on Verizon a family share plan, and I just want to add a basic phone to my Family Share plan, a phone I already have, that I can give to my kids as needed.

They said it's month to month, which is great, but you have to pay the $35 activation fee. I didn't do it. I could have sworn a couple of weeks ago I was able to do this on the website, but I can't find the option now.

Is this really the deal? After paying almost $200/mo for over 5 years, and being a customer for over 10, this just rubs me the wrong way.

Thanks
    08-09-11 08:55 PM
    Are you starting a new line of service?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-10-11 12:27 AM
    Yes, a new number = an activation fee. Though I must say that over the years I have gotten out of the activation fee with some sweet talk. I think the activation fee is money that goes directly to the sales person helping you out. Go to a VZW corporate location, not an "authorized retailer" and you should be able to get out of the fee.
    08-10-11 07:32 AM
    Go to a VZW corporate location, not an "authorized retailer" and you should be able to get out of the fee.
    This. I've found that the reps in the store can offer you stuff like this whereas the reps on the phone can't.
    08-10-11 08:36 AM
    Yes, a new line. I was talking to a phone rep at VZW corporate, and he said there was nothing he could do. I was just surprised, since it was my own equipment. Now he said since it was month to month, that I could stop and start at will. But with an activation fee each time? No thanks. Unless that's just a suspension and not subject to the fee.
    08-10-11 09:11 AM
    Yes, a new number = an activation fee. Though I must say that over the years I have gotten out of the activation fee with some sweet talk. I think the activation fee is money that goes directly to the sales person helping you out. Go to a VZW corporate location, not an "authorized retailer" and you should be able to get out of the fee.

The Activation Fee is designed to cover the costs associated with establishing your account within our wireless network and billing systems. For more information regarding activation fees, please refer to your Customer Agreement at vzw.com, which details this charge.

Hope this information has been helpful.

VZW_CS
    ^JB
    ummie4 likes this.
    08-16-11 01:45 PM
    Thanks. That's the spin/marketing, but whatever. I paid up. I already have an account, and now you're getting more money every month for another line. They way I see it, I'm being charged to do MORE business with you. It's just never sat well.
    08-16-11 03:15 PM
    I can't remember the last time I had to pay an activation fee. Sorry to hear that.

If you say that you tried to activate the device online and that it told you to call CS, you can usually get out of the fee.
    08-16-11 09:43 PM
    I can't remember the last time I had to pay an activation fee. Sorry to hear that.
    Same here, and I just activated another new phone on my account today and was not charged an activation fee. In fact, the only time I have ever been charged an activation fee was in 2001 when I started my service with VZW
    08-19-11 12:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD