03-23-08 05:31 PM
32 12
tools
    I bought a blackberry pearl 8130 from verizon about 4 days ago. I was told it is $30 a month for the service. Does that mean I can browse the internet, gps, everything included in the $30 month fee. I thought I read a post saying they charge you extra for the amount of bytes transferred. So is it just $30 a month for unlimited use for the internet, email, maps, etc?
    03-18-08 12:05 AM
    It should be the unlimited data plan meaning they won't charge you per byte. That will make you able to do everything you mentioned. For the gps you will need a bluetooth gps receiver or else you won't see where you are exactly on the mapping app.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-18-08 12:11 AM
    From what I understand, Verizon charges you for use of the GPS. But the $30 will give you internet and email.
    03-18-08 12:12 AM
    Check the forums or with Verizon online. With At&t, 29.99(30.00)- unlimited. If the money were coming out of my pocket, I would start with a Verizon representative to get that answer.
    03-18-08 12:17 AM
    Verizon locks GPS so you have to pay for it. That is one of there big downfalls.

03-18-08 12:20 AM
    I bought a blackberry pearl 8130 from verizon about 4 days ago. I was told it is $30 a month for the service. Does that mean I can browse the internet, gps, everything included in the $30 month fee. I thought I read a post saying they charge you extra for the amount of bytes transferred. So is it just $30 a month for unlimited use for the internet, email, maps, etc?

basically...the gps is locked though through verizon, you have to pay for their verizon service
    03-18-08 01:02 AM
    Wow that is an expensive bb plan... you better be able to do anything and everything! I guess the extra cash goes towards paying all the guys you see in the network in their commercials! But on a serious note, I believe most people pay $20 bucks a month. The real question is how are you using it? Enterprise server etc???
    03-18-08 01:09 AM
    It's $30 for unlimited email and web service
    It's $10 for VZ Navigator, which is the GPS service locked to VZW.
    03-18-08 01:29 AM
    VZW is a rip off I pay $30 for my BIS with sprint and it includes unlimited data, text, sprint nav (gps app) and for pearl users sprint tv. Its a good deal if you ask me. I used to pay $39.99 BIS plus $10 for unlimited text

03-18-08 01:54 AM
    It's an ala carte system, I have to admit, another level of pricing for SMS/text, another level of pricing for VZ Navigator, etc etc...........still the best coverage. Spoke with a buddy of mine who's getting his BB with Nextel/Sprint.......their new plan is $99/mo unlimited v/data..........$30 or 30% LESS than VZW. I told him that even with the termination fee, I'd cover the savings in 6 months......
    03-18-08 06:03 AM
    VZW puts a 5GB cap on the unlimited data plans.

Exerpt from VZW Terms & Conditions:

"We reserve the right to protect our network from harm, which may impact legitimate data flows. We reserve the right to limit throughput or amount of data transferred, and to deny or terminate service, without notice, to anyone we believe is using an Data Plan or Feature in any manner prohibited above or whose usage adversely impacts our network or service levels. Anyone using more than 5 GB per line in a given month is presumed to be using the service in a manner prohibited above, and we reserve the right to immediately terminate the service of any such person without notice."
    03-18-08 06:19 AM
    I am on a 99 dollar plan with VZW this includes my minutes, unlimited SMS/MMS and unlimited data.
    03-18-08 08:09 AM
    VoltaicShock...how many minutes does that include? Which plan is that?

GG...if they put a 5 GB cap on it, then it really isn't "unlimited." How can they do that?
    03-18-08 10:34 AM
    I am on a 99 dollar plan with VZW this includes my minutes, unlimited SMS/MMS and unlimited data.
    Are you saying $99 includes unlimited voice/minutes? I was JUST in VZW last friday, and I have their March/April booklet in front of me..............the $99 plan is: 450 minutes National Anytime plus your unlimited text/email but NOT data (pg 14)?????
    03-18-08 10:51 AM
    Does any know if Verizon charges extra to use your BB as a modem? Haven't done this yet but it maybe handy in the future.

Also, if you just got your BB. Verizon tried to forget to add the internet plan to my bill. My first bill was $500 dollars. I'm getting ready to call and discuss my bill with verizon.
    03-18-08 11:00 AM
    $500? ouch!

Using your BB as a modem is an extra $15 a month.
    03-18-08 11:15 AM
    Damn thank god I have tmo there unlimited internet and email is only 19.99. VZW is a rip.

03-18-08 11:30 AM
    Verizon is a rip. And I can get Blackberry maps within that $30 fee. So if I need to get directions or something it isn't extra, correct? But if I want like turn by turn directions and stuff I would have to download Verizon's GPS crap?
    03-18-08 12:05 PM
    Keep in mind everyone that your CDMA carriers charge more data service because it's not slooooooowwww like EDGE. EVDO makes a huge diff. That being said VZW could stand to lower their prices, as Sprint has made it more affordable to own a BB with EVDO.
    03-18-08 12:14 PM
    I sure hope VZW prices go down.
    03-18-08 12:20 PM
    They have to........it's very competitive out there right now........and, looking at their cancellation fees, it would be FAR outweighed by the savings per month over 4 or 6 months with another carrier. My buddie is about the 'pull the trigger' on a BB with Nextel/Sprint who has a $99/mo unlimited voice/data plan.
    03-18-08 01:23 PM
    I hope they drop the prices on some things soon because even with my corporate discount its still very expensive!
    03-18-08 02:02 PM
    The prices are ridiculous. And I would hate to go to another service provider.
    03-18-08 10:31 PM
    The prices are ridiculous. And I would hate to go to another service provider.
    Well if you think that $30 for an unlimited data plan is ridiculous, just think about Canadian addicts. Their data plans are far more expensive and most aren't even unlimited. I say be glad they are as reasonable as they are, because anywhere else you go outside of the U.S. is more expensive.
    03-18-08 10:51 PM
    Re: $500 Bill--

I just got my Pearl 3 days ago. They "forgot" to add the data plan to my account as well. When my minute usage showed I was on the phone TALKING for 17 hours one day, I called. VZW seemed to understand what was going on and added the data plan. They also added 1000 courtesy minutes to my plan for the month to cover the overage. At this point, I think everything is fixed.
    WRONG.
    My BB continued to use up my voice minutes instead of the data minutes/data plan. I called back. Instead of trying to fix the isssue, they tried to get me to upgrade to a more expensive plan. DO NOT DO THIS. After speaking with the manager's manager, I finally got a resolution.
    WRONG.
    I still got a bill for $500 and I only had the BB for 3 days of the billing cycle. I'm calling back tomorrow to see what can be done.
    03-18-08 11:40 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD