07-20-08 11:10 PM
33 12
tools
    This may seem like a funny/dumb question but how long has verizon had there $30 dollar unlimited data plan?

I went into a verizon store today and upgraded my girlfriends phone. 8703 to a curve. I have been with them for 2 years and have been using the blackberry data plans for about a year. The guy was like you know verizon changed there plan to $30 dollar unlimited just for personal email. I was like i thought thats what i was paying??? Well i wasn't, I was paying the $45 dollars a month for each BB phone (BES corporate email). He mentioned that they just recently changed this and did not have 2 separate data plans?????

It didn't really bother me because im paying 160 a month for 2 phones. But i get a 19% discount through work. But now my bill should drop to around $130 a month which will be nice

I was just curious if anybody had some insight to this. thanks
    07-12-08 11:50 PM
    Think it became available in February.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-13-08 12:21 AM
    You were lucky the rep told you. If I hadn't read about the personal data plan on Crackberry, I wouldn't have known and continued paying the higher price.
    Apparently, they usually don't make it public knowledge. Just another way for Verizon to make money.

07-13-08 07:15 AM
    You were lucky the rep told you. If I hadn't read about the personal data plan on Crackberry, I wouldn't have known and continued paying the higher price.
    Apparently, they usually don't make it public knowledge. Just another way for Verizon to make money.

"Just away to make money". This is not true at all. As I work for them All reps have been informed to review an account that may qualify for money saving options.

When I see an account that has a BB or other qualified PDA, I will discuss it with the customer I am dealing with. I will always ask if they are on BIS or BES, if the are not on the BES I offer the $15 a month savings.

If it is not offered, then the rep did not do their job or it was overlooked.

SO if you know anyone else at this time that is using a BB, or SMT 5800, Audiovox 6800, Palm Centro, and am I sorry these are the only devices I can remember off the top of head. Have them give us call and we will fix them right up.
    07-13-08 07:34 AM
    To piggy back off the previous post.....sales reps get more commission for data. They may go far as to tell you that there is only a $44.99 plan and that ALL VZW pda's have to have a data plan.

I have heard reps say that the Voyager, Dare and Glyde need a data plan (Vcast) as well.

C

Sales rep VZW
    07-13-08 08:01 AM
    What they don't say though is the hook if you want to use the modem feature. Yes the data plan is 30 for BIS where it is 45 for BES. However, the modem goes from 15 with BES to 30 with BIS. So the total is 60 a month regardless.

07-13-08 10:55 AM
    When I called to to change to the 30/month data plan for BIS, VZW also added the 30/month modem plan too without my knowledge. Bad things is I didn't catch it until 5 months later. And I know I told the VZW CS rep that I only wanted the data and repeated it many times just to make sure. The CS rep was also unwilling to help me (5+ year customer) out on their mistake. They only said that it was my resposibility to check my statement. If they went back to check the recording of the call they would concur. Up until then, I was very happy with VZW.
    07-13-08 11:25 AM
    When I called to to change to the 30/month data plan for BIS, VZW also added the 30/month modem plan too without my knowledge. Bad things is I didn't catch it until 5 months later. And I know I told the VZW CS rep that I only wanted the data and repeated it many times just to make sure. The CS rep was also unwilling to help me (5+ year customer) out on their mistake. They only said that it was my resposibility to check my statement. If they went back to check the recording of the call they would concur. Up until then, I was very happy with VZW.
    If this is case then

1. Did they temove the feature and

2. if you honestly did not know they should either credit some if not all of it. Call them back and if you need request a supervisor.

But you really should your bill each month.
    07-13-08 11:42 AM
    SO if you know anyone else at this time that is using a BB, or SMT 5800, Audiovox 6800, Palm Centro, and am I sorry these are the only devices I can remember off the top of head. Have them give us call and we will fix them right up.
    Moto Q is on the $30 list as well.

Oh, and the HTC 6800 is under the UTStarcom brand name on Verizon.
    07-13-08 01:39 PM
    correct on both counts. Just love Audiovox, as they have too many different names.
    07-13-08 01:47 PM
    Hmmm, did not know this, as I'm not using the BIS it seems I need to call up VZW and get me some savings.

07-14-08 10:37 AM
    I spent 2 hours with CS on this issue. I switched from an 8830 to a Curve, and decided to change plans. I use 3 separate email accounts, and each one has its own logo on the screen. When an email came into a particular account, it would put the star by that account, and I'd know it had a new email. The CS rep told me about the new, cheaper unlimited plan, and switched me over to it while we talked. Problem for me was that the individual account logos no longer worked, and all email only came into the messages box. The other logos were useless, and the emails wouldn't go into them. That's the way the system is designed to work.

For me, it's important to know which account has email, so she switched me back to the more expensive unlimited plan, and now my email works the way I want. Sure, it's $50/mo., but my office pays, and I need that feature. But if you don't care, definitely go with the cheaper, unlimited plan.

Hope the helps explain the difference.

Joel

07-15-08 10:57 AM
    Problem for me was that the individual account logos no longer worked, and all email only came into the messages box. The other logos were useless, and the emails wouldn't go into them. That's the way the system is designed to work.

For me, it's important to know which account has email
    Not true. I have the $30/month BIS plan and mine works exactly as you described. I have two icons on my home screen representing two different email accounts and whenever I get new emails, it automatically goes into the right account and I get a star on that icon (as well as the messages icon).
    07-15-08 11:40 AM
    I believe it came out in February as well. It was only $29.99 for people who already have an account. Then they offerd it to everyone, cause that's what the other carrier's were doing...
    07-15-08 11:59 AM
    Not true. I have the $30/month BIS plan and mine works exactly as you described. I have two icons on my home screen representing two different email accounts and whenever I get new emails, it automatically goes into the right account and I get a star on that icon (as well as the messages icon).
    Same for me. I am a new to blackberry through Verizon and I am on the $30 plan as well (actually $23 with my work discount).

I am hooked on this thing by the way!
    07-15-08 01:35 PM
    They changed it in the past few months-my upgrade was due in May and that time I was looking at the 8330 and it was still 45 but when I did upgrade about a week ago it was 29
    07-15-08 08:30 PM
    Same here. I have 3 email accounts on mine and am on the $29.99 unlimited data plan, and my icons each show new messages when they pop in.
    07-15-08 08:41 PM
    I just received a notice that my first bill with VZW is ready for me to pay, but it seemed way too high. Went online to check it. I expected it to be a bit higher as it prorated the first week of service then billed me or the upcoming month, but not only did they fail to incorporate my discount through work, but they apparently are charging me the 44.99 data plan even though I'm a BIS user, not BES.
    Too late now to call, will call in the morning. Im assuming they can adjust quickly, but if not im still within my first couple weeks of new service.
    07-16-08 02:11 AM
    When my boyfriend got his BB- they just automatically gave him the $29.99 plan, but a couple months later when I did mine, I just assumed I got the same thing until I looked at my bill. I immediately called them and they acted like it was my fault that I didn't know about it. Oh well- I only made that mistake for 1 month!
    07-16-08 02:21 AM
    Same for me. I am a new to blackberry through Verizon and I am on the $30 plan as well (actually $23 with my work discount).

I am hooked on this thing by the way!
    Discount on Data Plan too? must be nice. I get a nice break on the phones. accessories and data plan, but nothing on the data plan. Maybe thats why they are trying to overcharge me for it.
    07-16-08 02:30 AM
    Discount on Data Plan too? must be nice. I get a nice break on the phones. accessories and data plan, but nothing on the data plan. Maybe thats why they are trying to overcharge me for it.
    I get 12% off my data.
    07-16-08 05:26 AM
    I had a similar situation with Sprint. Went in because someone told me that Sprint Navigation was free and it was telling me to pay if I wanted to use it. Turns out, SprintNav is free, texting is now included (which I was paying for as an extra), and the plan was $10 less than what I was paying. It stinks that no one notified me. Had my friend not asked me if I like BBMaps better than SprintNav, I would still be giving Sprint an extra $20 a month for nothing.
    Last edited by johnnywoods; 07-16-08 at 06:17 AM.
    07-16-08 06:15 AM
    I get 15% off everything, voice, data, accessories.
    07-16-08 07:26 AM
    yeah just changed mine too

when they saw the 19% govt discount they automatically put me on BES.

i changed to BIS, and checked my online account. all good.

i get 19% off of plan
    20% off of applications
    07-16-08 11:53 AM
    Thanks for your input. I'm definitely going to go back to CS and see why I got bad info. I was on the phone (landline) the whole time with her while this was all happening, and I saw that it wasn't working right. I took her word that it's the way the system is designed. As soon as she switched me to the cheaper plan, the errors occurred. As soon as she switched me back, everything was fine. What a monumental waste of time!!!

I'll be damned if I'm going to pay extra $$ if she was wrong.

Thanks again for your help.

Joel

Last edited by Joelw; 07-16-08 at 12:40 PM.
    07-16-08 12:38 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD