I've had my 8130 now for a little over a month and while everything was great in the beginning, there seems to be more and more little annoying things goin on with my phone. Lately it seems I can't get through a full day with having to reload info back onto phone or deal with things that mysteriously stop working for some reason. I know people that have never in the years that they have owned their BB's, have had any of the problems I've had in a little over a month.
    Aghhhhh!!! (sorry but had to vent)
    01-13-09 04:07 AM
    File free?? Check your memory status.. Should be over 12mb to allow the phone to work properly and not loose data etc...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-13-09 04:23 AM
    Currently I'm @ 13.9mb
    01-13-09 04:33 AM
    Seems a little low. Have you checked out the sticky's about optimising memory. Check out CrackMem or MaxMem. Get rid of the preinstalled sample media/video's etc this will help lots. Might not be the cause but your mem seems low - I have a 8320 curve with a few a reasonable ammount of 3rd pty apps loaded and my file free is 22mb.
    I assume any music or photo's is on a memory card. If not this will help too. There are a few posts about this and a 101 lecture if you check that...
    Hope this helps - good luck!

01-13-09 08:02 AM
    Currently I'm @ 13.9mb
    That is a bit low. I'd go with what DD1968 suggests.

The 12MB figure is what your BB needs to function. Without that as a minimum, you may experience problems. Think of a MLB pitcher trying to do a windup in a closet.

Your 13.9MB is above that 12MB figure, but you're only leaving 1.9MB free for other apps. If you run one that puts in a memory call for say 3MB, and your OS needs to function, knuckles just whacked the closet rod.

If you have a memory card, make sure all of your media files are stored on it and none are in the device memory. If you've done that, then you may need to cut some other things.

01-13-09 02:52 PM
    I'm so confused so please excuse me - I downloaded CrackMem and when I have my phone plugged in it says "No OS can be found." Should it not have recognized what OS is already installed on my phone when I got it?? I have my media, which is just songs, stored all on my memory card.
    Last edited by Brian.; 01-13-09 at 06:38 PM.
    01-13-09 06:32 PM
    I'm so confused so please excuse me - I downloaded CrackMem and when I have my phone plugged in it says "No OS can be found." Should it not have recognized what OS is already installed on my phone when I got it?? I have my media, which is just songs, stored all on my memory card.
    Ok suggestion... CrackMem is better as it does more - however MaxMem is an on phone app that simply lists the things that can be removed and gives you a yes/no option you then restart and that's it done (I use this for simplicity so can't answer your Q above)

01-14-09 01:23 AM
    BerryCoder: MaxMem – Instant Free Memory Boost! Free!

01-14-09 01:26 AM
    Ty for the info. This memory thing is such a pain. Its a constant up and down and its getting very annoying.

01-14-09 07:31 AM
    Removing the pre-installed viseo and media will give you thje bigest saving. Doing a battery pull (pulling out the battery while the phone is switched on for at least 30 seconds before putting it back in), or using an app like Quickpull (I use) or Soft re-set will free up memory that gets tied up with the OS etc... I use quickpull maybe once every three days or so as a regular routine to keep my memory clear as poss...

01-14-09 09:01 AM
    I would upgrade to 4.5 and use CrackMem to remove the useless pre-installed items. It will be much better after that...
    01-14-09 09:04 AM
    remove the useless pre-installed items.
    Just an FYI though, removing the pre-installed themes will mean that you can not use custom themes.
    01-14-09 10:51 AM
    Just an FYI though, removing the pre-installed themes will mean that you can not use custom themes.
    That i am aware of, they are apart of the OS, as are the ringtones as well. I am referring to carrier themes, applications you will not use, languages, etc..
    01-14-09 10:55 AM
    My OS is 4.5.0.77. Should I still upgrade?
    01-14-09 10:12 PM
    My OS is 4.5.0.77. Should I still upgrade?
    I would wait if I were you. Get to know how an OS upgrade works it's simple process but a bit long winded and a lot of people mess it up and have to save their "bricked" BB. It can be done so you can't really break it as it were. Only if after reading the step by steps you feel comfortable doing so then give it a go.
    You have 4.5 so I'd just run MaxMem on your device - remove VAD, Media, MDS to start with (good point about themes - leave them for the moment). You can delete other apps you're not using through DM or options > advanced options > applications then highlight the app you don't want press the menu key and select delete (I removed memo pad, BB maps, brickbreaker) to free up more memory.
    See how you go from there... You should gain quite a bit of free memory that way. Then occaisional battery pulls or run an app like quickpull to keep the memory free.
    Let us know how much file free you end up with after all of that.

01-15-09 01:37 AM
    Being that this is my personal phone, I'm assuming I'm on BIS and not BES - right?
    01-15-09 02:43 AM
    Right......

01-15-09 02:58 AM
    remove RIM internal tools? remove foreign resources?

I removed VAD, did SoftReset, and was up to 15.9mb. About 5-10 min later I checked and I'm down to 14mb.
    Last edited by Brian.; 01-15-09 at 03:20 AM.
    01-15-09 03:05 AM
    I've never removed those so dunno... Did you remove the pre installed media (this is your biggest gain)? Did it/does it stabalise at 14mb?? What 3rd party apps do you use?

01-15-09 05:31 AM
    These are on my homescreen along with the ones that came with the phone: Weathereye, yourshortcut, beyond411, crackberry, geotip, google maps, softreset, and maxmem.

Does Maxmem removed the preinstalled media or does Crackmem take care of that? I followed your advice for Maxmem
    01-15-09 05:41 AM
    These are on my homescreen along with the ones that came with the phone: Weathereye, yourshortcut, beyond411, crackberry, geotip, google maps, softreset, and maxmem.

Does Maxmem removed the preinstalled media or does Crackmem take care of that? I followed your advice for Maxmem
    Maxmem gives you a remove media option so that will remove the media if you select it - did you yet? Crackmem will also do it - I suggested Maxmem as a simpler alternative to Crackmem.

Dunno about those apps facebook and viigo are supposed to be big leakers that's why I asked.

If you really get no success an OS upgrade usually will give you improvement in memory/battery life. it's not hard just follow the step by step carefully and be patient, some parts take a while.

01-15-09 05:51 AM
    Do you think I should hold off or just upgrade?

Yes I removed media through maxmem like you said.

Do you have the exact link for the download I should do?
    Last edited by Brian.; 01-15-09 at 07:37 AM.
    01-15-09 07:35 AM
    No I have a curve search your device forum no-doubt there will be a thread with the latest release for the 81xx. Just follow the steps carefully. Good luck.

01-15-09 08:58 AM
    Try this: http://forums.crackberry.com/f79/new...anguage-85685/

01-15-09 09:01 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD