Is the 29.99 plan really unlimited? I got a text today that said I am accruing high data charges and to call them because they can help. I have checked and rechecked we have two BBs and they are both on the unlimited plan.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-19-08 08:22 AM
    Yes, it's unlimited for DATA ONLY. However, if you're using the tethering capability on the phone, that's limited to 5GB per month cap I belive. If you've gotten in the habbit of using your BB tethered to replace your regular broadband connection at home, that's what's biting you in the ***.

If you're not doing that, I'd call them and find out specifically what's going on, it could be a messup on their end with your plan or something.
    11-19-08 08:48 AM
    I am calling as soon as I post this. I do not thether.

11-19-08 09:23 AM
    This is my first post but hopefully this helps you. I work at Telus and normaly when we send out a message like that it means text messages . Ultd data means ultd but sometime text is not included in ultd data. Hopefully that helps .
    11-19-08 10:43 AM
    texting is not part of the data plan....
    well with verizon it's not probably the same for all
    11-19-08 01:53 PM
    Well, there was a thread on this earlier and even though All major carriers say there data is Unlimited there is a "SOFT" cap at 5GB, not just limited to tethering.

When you get really close to that cap most likely through streaming Videos and what not they send you out a message, and they have the right to limit the speed of your connection.

DATA PLANS AND FEATURES

Data Plans and Features (such as NationalAccess, BroadbandAccess, GlobalAccess, Push to Talk, and certain VZEmail services) may ONLY be used with wireless devices for the following purposes: (i) Internet browsing; (ii) email; and (iii) intranet access (including access to corporate intranets, email, and individual productivity applications like customer relationship management, sales force, and field service automation). The Data Plans and Features MAY NOT be used for any other purpose. Examples of prohibited uses include, without limitation, the following: (i) continuous uploading, downloading or streaming of audio or video programming or games; (ii) server devices or host computer applications, including, but not limited to, Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, automated machine-to-machine connections or peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing; or (iii) as a substitute or backup for private lines or dedicated data connections. This means, by way of example only, that checking email, surfing the Internet, downloading legally acquired songs, and/or visiting corporate intranets is permitted, but downloading movies using P2P file sharing services and/or redirecting television signals for viewing on laptops is prohibited. A person engaged in prohibited uses, continuously for one hour, could typically use 100 to 200 MBs, or, if engaged in prohibited uses for 10 hours a day, 7 days a week, could use more than 5 GBs in a month.
    11-19-08 02:00 PM
    I've got that text before as well. When I called them they said it was a mistake and apologized.

11-19-08 02:37 PM
    Well, there was a thread on this earlier and even though All major carriers say there data is Unlimited there is a "SOFT" cap at 5GB, not just limited to tethering.
    Have you actually tried to hit 5GB a month on just BB data alone (doesn't matter what)? It's pretty hard and despite of that, the cap is still for tethering alone. They don't enforce it but just for that.
    11-19-08 03:48 PM
    If you tether, is your data download for on-BB added to the amount supplied through tether to the laptop? For example, if you did 2gb on the BB itself, and another 4gb tethered to the PC, will you get a charge for the excess?
    11-19-08 08:14 PM
    If you tether, is your data download for on-BB added to the amount supplied through tether to the laptop? For example, if you did 2gb on the BB itself, and another 4gb tethered to the PC, will you get a charge for the excess?
    A pretty solid Data rep from VZW told me that if you have the tethering plan which is SEPARATE from the BB data plan you are not going to be charged for overages because they are considered 2 separate 5GB allowances for a total of 10GB. I use both tethering of my BB and & aircard because right now that's the only internet I have available until I leave for overseas. Hope this helps.
    11-19-08 09:22 PM
    I am calling as soon as I post this. I do not thether.

Just wondering what they told you
    11-20-08 07:35 AM
    Just wondering what they told you
    Well it was not either BB. My daughter has a nonsmart phone. She has the voyager I think. It is a touch screen and when u open it there is a full keyboard. Anyway they claim when she seaches for ringtones and ringback tones it uses data. I find this hard to believe because on all the phones we had before we did that and it did not charge data. I am out of town but will look further into it when I get home and she can show me exactly what she does.

11-20-08 07:51 AM
    Well it was not either BB. My daughter has a nonsmart phone. She has the voyager I think. It is a touch screen and when u open it there is a full keyboard. Anyway they claim when she seaches for ringtones and ringback tones it uses data. I find this hard to believe because on all the phones we had before we did that and it did not charge data. I am out of town but will look further into it when I get home and she can show me exactly what she does.

lay the smack down!
    11-20-08 10:33 AM
    Have you actually tried to hit 5GB a month on just BB data alone (doesn't matter what)? It's pretty hard and despite of that, the cap is still for tethering alone. They don't enforce it but just for that.
    There was a lawsuit just for that purpose......and yes its hard to hit it because blackberries compress data so well, but for those that watch videos and have 3G it can be attained.......
    11-20-08 01:03 PM
    Yeah searching for those if she doesn't have her own data plan will get you a 1.99 per Mb charge with verizon. Happened to me with my venus before I got my BB.

11-20-08 08:06 PM
    5mb of surfing the net, that does not seem that much.
    11-20-08 08:15 PM
    5mb of surfing the net, that does not seem that much.
    Your off by 10 powers of 2, makes a pretty big difference
    11-20-08 09:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD