Hey there,

I am a new Verizon customer with a Storm. I get great reception everywhere but my house. I was told by a vz rep that if I do #228, option 3, it will reregister on the roaming network or something? When I try to do this, it gives me the message "Activation Unsuccessful" Anyone have an idea what that means?

I think I am getting bad reception in my house because the signal is trying to switch from VZ towers to roaming. It shows 3 bars until I answer a call or try to make a call, then it says "Call Failed" or "Call Was Lost" Anyone know how to make it only work on roaming mode? I am closer to an Alltel tower, which as I understand vz roams off Alltel, than a vz tower. Any ideas?

Thanks!
    12-20-08 12:23 AM
    Its *228 for starters haha. But that won't help in your home area. What they told you was option 2 and that updates your roaming list. Not gonna help in your house. Sorry.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by CyberEvil; 12-20-08 at 02:12 PM.
    12-20-08 02:33 AM
    If the phone works everywhere, but in your house. then it the construction of the house most likely that is stopping the penetration of the signal into your house. You can call VZW at 800-922-0204 and have looked at and they may send out System performance to look at the area. Again if it is just in house I doubt te above will do any good
    12-20-08 09:21 AM
    You can also try *22899.

12-20-08 04:28 PM
    Its actually *228 option 2 to update your roaming capabilites, *228 option 3 changes phones. But yes, if you go from a roaming or extended network it will not work properly, verizon wireless does not offer short codes in extended network. If you can get to a Verizon Wireless network you can definately update your roaming capabilites, you can input your zip code in a service map and find the closest to you.
    12-22-08 12:47 AM
    I did try this in a Verizon area, option 3 (sorry for the typo earlier), and it played some music and then it said Activation Successful. When I got home, still no luck.

This really bums me out. I absolutely love the Storm, I don't want to give it back, but I am going to have to because I need service in my house. I don't really understand why I am having this problem. There is an Alltel tower less than 2 miles away. I think what is happening is that I am just inside a Verizon tower, so I am going off that tower, but when I pick up a call, it tries to switch towers and losses the call.

Anyways, thanks for all of your guys' inputs. Take care, and hopefully I will be back on Verizon with a Storm again someday.
    12-23-08 11:03 AM
    *22899 is used for data only devices without voice. if you have a device with voice capability, just do the *228 and option 2 to update your roaming.
    12-27-08 01:56 AM
    Before you give up your Storm, keep in mind that no company guarantees service in your home. Just a heads up before you change services and find yourself with a device you're not happy with in the same situation.

12-27-08 04:15 AM
    HEY let's just settle this fair and easy. Give me your storm, I give you my pearl (keep it clean you dirtbags) and I will buy you extra tinfoil to increase its performance in the house!

Deal?

Let's make it happen!

(sorry I am in a mood, seeing as though my Lions are going to be 0-16 tomorrow)

I'll still take that storm off your hands though!

12-27-08 04:49 PM
    HEY let's just settle this fair and easy. Give me your storm, I give you my pearl (keep it clean you dirtbags) and I will buy you extra tinfoil to increase its performance in the house!

Deal?

Let's make it happen!

(sorry I am in a mood, seeing as though my Lions are going to be 0-16 tomorrow)

I'll still take that storm off your hands though!

LMAO that made me really LOL I had to put my customer on mute to LOL! Thanks for the Giggle!
    12-27-08 05:56 PM
    0-16 officially now. Who's doing the laughing now?!

Psst, ill still take that storm

12-28-08 04:44 PM
    Thanks for your replies. I actually talked to a vz rep and they sent me a replacement to see if it is a hardware thing. I kinda doubt its not, but we will see. Like I said, I love my Storm and I don't want to give it up. I had sprint before the Storm, and I got just about perfect service anywhere in my house. That is why I am considering going back. Not because I don't like the device. FYI...

Go Lions!
    12-29-08 10:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD