From another BB forum http:// blackberryforums.pinstack.com/showthread.php?t=73805

"If you are a Verizon subscriber and currently us a puck to facilitate GPS function DO NOT use *228 this will disable the ability of your phone to connect to another GPS device. The option under Advanced Options- GPS- Select Device- will be removed and access to GPS functionality further restricted.

Further this whole problem is a service book issue. The phones when supplied to you by Verizon prior to activation are equipped and function to receive GPS information. You can use the GPS option prior to activation and see additional options and receive GPS fixes but as soon as the service books are sent upon activation those options will no longer appear and the GPS function will for all practical purposes be gone."

From what I understood in the post, we should not use *228 or we won't be able to use GPS pucks. I haven't heard about this anywhere else. Thoughts?
    05-26-08 02:12 AM
    I'll believe it when I see it. I wouldn't trust Pinheads too much though.

Also, the thing about being able to use GPS prior to activating is also false in this guy's statement. Trust me on that one.

I guess I need to probably rephrase this a little. The part about dialing *228 to enable or disable the aGPS on the phone is not incorrect, because OTA progamming can be used to put in the PDE IP and Port on the Qualcomm chipset (which is what's missing now and why GPS doesn't work to begin with). The part that is incorrect is the fact that he indicates that VZW Blackberries out of the box have working GPS prior to doing the initial OTA programming... which is not true. That's the part that's false. Also the OTA programming will not drive any changes on the RIM OS level, just the Qualcomm CDMA chipset level.
    Last edited by JRSCCivic98; 05-26-08 at 02:39 AM.
    05-26-08 02:23 AM
    So how can we activate it? Someone somewhere has got to have an answer.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-26-08 04:19 AM
    Does this mean that OTA programming won't disable Bluetooth gps puck connectivity?

05-26-08 11:08 AM
    If you don't activate your berry, you have a very expensive, non activated gps crippled brick. *228 sets your signal and gives you cell service, plus it sets your roaming prefs. Either vz nav or a BT puck is currently the only options. Like JR said, the gps program is at the chipset level.
    I'd hate to see a bunch of folk running around with unactivated berrys because of a new urban legend. Shees.

05-26-08 12:03 PM
    I use a Freedom Keychain 2000 GPS puck with a Verizon 8830WE and can unequivocally state that performing *22899 does not disable the puck.

05-26-08 12:55 PM
    Does this mean that OTA programming won't disable Bluetooth gps puck connectivity?

That's what I said, isn't it. I also did some searching for the guy that posted that on Pinstack. He's an ID10T... nuff said.
    05-26-08 01:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD