Hello all,

I am new to having a BB, but I have a general question regarding VZW devices. After installing new software or pulling my battery to reset my phone, should I *228(1) and *228(2)? Is that necessary at all?

Any guidance on the matter would be appreciated & thank you in advance.
    10-10-09 06:13 PM
    Do not need to do it at all for the reasons you stated

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by lastraid; 10-10-09 at 07:38 PM. Reason: clairification
    10-10-09 06:19 PM
    What reasons, lastraid? Did you post a link or did some text not come through?
    10-10-09 06:23 PM
    Hello all,

I am new to having a BB, but I have a general question regarding VZW devices. After installing new software or pulling my battery to reset my phone, should I *228(1) and *228(2)? Is that necessary at all?

Any guidance on the matter would be appreciated & thank you in advance.
    You asked the above and I sais no you do not need to *228 for any of those reasons.
    10-10-09 07:30 PM
    Okay, sorry about my misunderstanding your first reply.

Thank you very much!
    10-10-09 07:36 PM
    Slightly related; would I still need to do a *228 to update the phone's list of Verizon and roaming towers list now and then? I travel all over the country as part of my job, and want to be sure that the phone is getting the correct towers for calls and data. Used to do this monthly on my Razr before I got the Storm
    10-10-09 07:49 PM
    Slightly related; would I still need to do a *228 to update the phone's list of Verizon and roaming towers list now and then? I travel all over the country as part of my job, and want to be sure that the phone is getting the correct towers for calls and data. Used to do this monthly on my Razr before I got the Storm
    Depends on whom you might talk to. I do mine about every 60 days or before I travel out of my home calling area. That would be *228 opt 2.
    10-10-09 07:52 PM
    If you watch CrackBerry, you'll see people posting when they notice a PRL change. That's a good cue to check yours. I typically update mine every couple of months or so. It usually doesn't make any noticeable difference for me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-10-09 07:58 PM
    Depends on whom you might talk to. I do mine about every 60 days or before I travel out of my home calling area. That would be *228 opt 2.
    If you talk to customer service or umm... Boise (sorry Heather..) - they may ask you to do *228 to recover voice messages that were deleted a week ago...
    10-10-09 11:40 PM
    *228 does not need to be used after doing a soft reset.

*228 is useful for three purposes:

Option 1: Activation. After getting a brand new phone from Verizon, option 1 activates that particular device's ESN after a VZW representative has linked that ESN with your number.

Option 2: Updating a Preferred Roaming List. This gives your phone access to the latest list of VZW-accessible cell towers. Should be done at least once every 60 days.

Option 3: Changing a phone. This option is like a purely OTA version of option 1. This option is used when a VZW representative has NOT previously linked the new device's ESN to your phone number. This takes a bit longer than option 1, because the phone number and account holder verification must all be entered over the phone, whereas in option one, that information has already been linked to the new device's ESN. Use this option when you get a phone from a friend, buy a phone from Craigslist or Ebay, etc.

Hope this clears up any confusion. I know some people don't know what the **** *228 is for. Now you do! :-)
    10-11-09 09:33 AM
    *228 is over rated. Ive skipped *228 for almost a year and not had any problems roaming. Ive known people who never did a *228 and never had reception issues.
    10-11-09 09:35 AM
    If you talk to customer service or umm... Boise (sorry Heather..) - they may ask you to do *228 to recover voice messages that were deleted a week ago...
    HAHA! No hurtful feelings here...
    You are absolutely right that the first day of training here consists of "how to dial *228"
    dumb really. Customer care always states "well I had them dial *228 and it didnt work"
    for something like invalid email or something.
    *snickers* I giggle when I hear noobs on the phones telling customers to dial *228.
    again; no hurt feelings here!
    10-11-09 09:46 AM
    *228 is over rated. Ive skipped *228 for almost a year and not had any problems roaming. Ive known people who never did a *228 and never had reception issues.
    Typically, with newer devices this is rarely a problem. However, with older phones it usually helps with people who are having reception problems. Now, usually, if a person comes into my store with an old phone having reception problems, I usually upgrade them into a new device. However, in the rare instance that either a) This person is NOT eligible for an upgrade, or b) This person IS eligible, but if for some reason attached to the old phone, or cannot pay for an upgrade, *228 option 2 is sufficient until the phone just gives out, and then they HAVE to get a new phone.

:-)
    10-11-09 09:48 AM
    *228 does not need to be used after doing a soft reset.

*228 is useful for three purposes:

Option 1: Activation. After getting a brand new phone from Verizon, option 1 activates that particular device's ESN after a VZW representative has linked that ESN with your number.

Option 2: Updating a Preferred Roaming List. This gives your phone access to the latest list of VZW-accessible cell towers. Should be done at least once every 60 days.

Option 3: Changing a phone. This option is like a purely OTA version of option 1. This option is used when a VZW representative has NOT previously linked the new device's ESN to your phone number. This takes a bit longer than option 1, because the phone number and account holder verification must all be entered over the phone, whereas in option one, that information has already been linked to the new device's ESN. Use this option when you get a phone from a friend, buy a phone from Craigslist or Ebay, etc.

Hope this clears up any confusion. I know some people don't know what the **** *228 is for. Now you do! :-)
    Thank you, jo_hey! That answers my question perfectly.

And many thanks to everyone else who took time to provide feedback.
    10-11-09 09:50 AM
    AH - WOW, that all I can say abut that.
    10-11-09 05:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD