Is anyone besides me infuriated over the 2 year contracts? I bought a personal smartphone (BB 8703) before everyone in the world had a smartphone. Now, because of all of these people, the carriers "tether" us to our old technology and won't let us upgrade. I am sick of it. I'm not in a contract right now, and desperately need a different phone (my 9650 is really giving me issues). However, I don't want to sign a 2 year contract b/c I want the 9930, but don't want to get stuck with a non BBX / LTE phone for 2 years!

Is there anyone else upset about this? I almost feel like cancelling my VZW service I've had since 1998 over this, and going to Tmo and at least getting better pricing, or ATT and getting faster BB speed with HPSA+.
    11-29-11 08:59 AM
    Get a one year contract then, you'll just have to pay more for the 9930. Or pay full price for a phone and don't sign any contract.

Nobody is forcing you to sign a two year contract. They just do them so you're able to buy expensive smartphones at a deep discount.
    11-29-11 09:11 AM
    1. You can upgrade anytime you want. The price is just different at different times.

2. If you don't like the two year contract, don't enter into one. Purchase the device at the full retail price and you will not be 'tethered to old technology".

3. "Before everyone in the world"?? Really?? That's a pretty ostentatious statement, don't you think?

Note that most of the major carriers in the US have the same 2 year requirements. Be glad you aren't in Canada where the contracts are 3 years.
    11-29-11 09:15 AM
    Never renew, always out of contract and a free agent who can upgrade anytime the urge strikes if you have the cash. Move to GSM and get your phones from all over the world, swapping sims. Upgrade every month, resell at a slight loss and always have the best, latest technology, but for gods sake quit whining.
    JR A likes this.
    11-29-11 10:57 AM
    I don't really need the latest technology. What I really want is a BB that keeps up with all of the other cell phone makers that have raised the bar. I think that is coming (and before 2 years is up). I'm not in a contract, and haven't been for probably a year. I shouldn't be penalized for NOT upgrading each time.
    11-29-11 12:09 PM
    If you aren't in a contract, then just purchase the phone that you want at the full retail price and do whatever you want.

I'm failing to see how the carrier "won't let you upgrade". Or is "tethering you to old technology".
    11-29-11 12:42 PM
    The great things about the contracts is you can get the phone without signing one. Answer: Full Retail Price.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-29-11 04:13 PM
    I buy on contract with full knowledge that I can always upgrade or terminate.
    There are no longer 1 year contracts or annual upgrades.

In the past I didn't do oe year contracts because they had annual upgrades.
    They don't have either anymore.
    So I just suck it up if I want a phone in the middle of the term.
    11-29-11 07:18 PM
    Never renew, always out of contract and a free agent who can upgrade anytime the urge strikes if you have the cash. Move to GSM and get your phones from all over the world, swapping sims. Upgrade every month, resell at a slight loss and always have the best, latest technology, but for gods sake quit whining.
    This seems like a great idea if you always want to have the latest and greatest. Just make sure to sell the old stuff to pay for the new stuff.

I used to buy phones at retail and sell the old ones at retail. I didn't lose much money.

Sent from my VZW Thunderbolt.
    12-01-11 05:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD