03-11-15 10:04 PM
29 12
tools
    My verizon contract comes due in April. Do you all sign 2 year contracts or do you buy your phones outright? I've done a lot of research and there doesn't seem to be a clear answer since it obviously depends on which phone you buy. I have no plans on leaving Verizon.

Posted via CB10
    01-10-15 09:14 AM
    it's hard to believe that someone can ask a question like that ,if you don't plan to leave vzw then what will be the point of not taking advantage of their discount on 2 year contract ?
    here is a tip: buy online the phone that you want on the 2 year contract and when the phone arrives don't call vzw to activate the sim card just replace it with your existing one and you will be able to purchase another phone online at a discounted price
    MobileMadness002 likes this.
    01-10-15 09:31 AM
    I should have rephrased. I don't want to lose my 2gb/60 bucks a month plan if I upgrade. I'm not married to Verizon but would prefer to stay with them.

Posted via CB10
    01-10-15 09:38 AM
    I should have rephrased. I don't want to lose my 2gb/60 bucks a month plan if I upgrade. I'm not married to Verizon but would prefer to stay with them.

Posted via CB10
    It sounds like full price would be your best option, unless someone at Verizon can verify that you can sign another 2 year contract without being moved off your current plan. Also, if you are able to find someone at Verizon that says that you can sign another 2 year contract without changing your current plan I would highly recommend getting copies of the paper work just in case you get a shock on your next bill.
    01-10-15 11:39 PM

Posted via CB10
    Well if you're paying $60 for 2GB you're over paying anyway. Call and tell them you see advertisements like crazy that are way better than what they are offering. I get for 4GB/$60 plus one free additional GB through the customer loyalty program. You may qualify. It's worth calling.

Q10 waiting for The Classic to come to VZW
    01-11-15 12:47 AM
    Well if you're paying $60 for 2GB you're over paying anyway. Call and tell them you see advertisements like crazy that are way better than what they are offering. I get for 4GB/$60 plus one free additional GB through the customer loyalty program. You may qualify. It's worth calling.

Wow that's a really good deal. Is that a single line plan? I plan on calling them when my contract is up and leveraging the other great deals out there. I'm sure they'll be new ones out there in April when my contract is up.

Posted via CB10
    01-11-15 07:54 AM
    Wow that's a really good deal. Is that a single line plan? I plan on calling them when my contract is up and leveraging the other great deals out there. I'm sure they'll be new ones out there in April when my contract is up.

Posted via CB10
    Yep, single line. Just call and say something isn't adding up? You're offering 2 lines 10GB for $110 but I'm paying $60/2GB? I doesn't make sense and AT&T and T-Mobile are half their price. They'll give you some line about being the biggest Network, you tell them that only matters for rural areas and where you live there is good service from all the providers. Then all of a sudden the miracle happens! They have an offer for you!

dhbrell10 likes this.
    01-11-15 09:19 AM
    it's hard to believe that someone can ask a question like that ,if you don't plan to leave vzw then what will be the point of not taking advantage of their discount on 2 year contract ?
    here is a tip: buy online the phone that you want on the 2 year contract and when the phone arrives don't call vzw to activate the sim card just replace it with your existing one and you will be able to purchase another phone online at a discounted price
    I did this to go from z10 to z30 but most my calls come up as "network is busy ". I am currently getting another sim from Verizon.

Posted via CB10
    01-12-15 01:26 PM
    Yep, single line. Just call and say something isn't adding up? You're offering 2 lines 10GB for $110 but I'm paying $60/2GB? I doesn't make sense and AT&T and T-Mobile are half their price. They'll give you some line about being the biggest Network, you tell them that only matters for rural areas and where you live there is good service from all the providers. Then all of a sudden the miracle happens! They have an offer for you!

Just a quick question or two. How long were you on the single line plan before you were able to get the increased data package?
    And just so I understand, you're saying you have a $60+taxes and stuff bill for unlimited t/t and 5gb of data?
    What, if any code, if you can share is on your bill?
    Thanks [=

Posted via CB10
    01-12-15 07:58 PM
    Just a quick question or two. How long were you on the single line plan before you were able to get the increased data package?
    And just so I understand, you're saying you have a $60+taxes and stuff bill for unlimited t/t and 5gb of data?
    What, if any code, if you can share is on your bill?
    Thanks [=

Posted via CB10
    So my bill is $60 plus taxes and includes unlimited talk and text plus 4GB of data. Last March I was given a free extra GB making 5GB, but it will drop to 4GB this March. There is no code. But I get a combination of discounts 30% off data from corporate discount and discount is 20 year loyalty program. Got service in 1993 under Comcast MetroPhone that became Bell Atlantic that became Verizon and they gave me this plan in 2013 at the 20 year mark. I basically just said, look I've been here 20 years, I buy all my phones off contract, the competition has caught up and I'm walking if you can't make it work. They made it work.
    01-12-15 11:44 PM

Posted via CB10
    I pay $45 for MORE EVERY Loyal Tlk TXT 6GB
    01-24-15 09:57 AM
    Some of these numbers astound me. I'm paying $40/month for 450 mins of talk, with 20cents/text and $30/2GB data. Total =$70, plus a dollar or two for texts, and taxes.

If I switch to the More Everything plan, I'll pay $40 for unlimited talk and text, and $50 for 2GB data. Total $90/month, plus taxes. Verizon's current "promotion" is $75/month for talk/text/2GB, which is still more than I'm paying now.

How are people paying so little for single lines?
    01-28-15 01:14 PM
    I am at like 200 for 3 lines 700 shared minutes (which I don't think we have ever gone over), 2 have 2gb of data, one has unlimited.

Posted via CB10
    01-28-15 01:33 PM
    Some of these numbers astound me. I'm paying $40/month for 450 mins of talk, with 20cents/text and $30/2GB data. Total =$70, plus a dollar or two for texts, and taxes.

If I switch to the More Everything plan, I'll pay $40 for unlimited talk and text, and $50 for 2GB data. Total $90/month, plus taxes. Verizon's current "promotion" is $75/month for talk/text/2GB, which is still more than I'm paying now.

How are people paying so little for single lines?
    I hopped on the 60/month for 2 gb with unlimited talk/text promotion which was only offered for a limited time. They have since changed it to 75/month but I'm paying 60.

Posted via CB10
    01-28-15 01:42 PM
    My wife's Q10 just went over the 2 yr contract time and we are now "off contract" with her phone. The monthly $ just went from $40/mo to $15/mo because we are off contract on that phone. That saves $25/mo. or $600 over 2 yrs. Seems to me if you can buy a phone for under $600 outright, you are better off being off contract. I have seen the new Classic full price for just over $400. If it comes to VZW at that price, I'll buy it for full price and keep my monthly pop at $15/mo.
    02-20-15 11:51 AM
    ^Buy it on edge, keep the money in your pocket.
    02-20-15 12:42 PM
    Anyone upgrade recently?

Posted via CB10
    03-07-15 08:40 AM
    Anyone upgrade recently?

Posted via CB10

Upgrade? I bought a Classic on edge. Not sure that qualifies as "upgrading." I'm done with 2 year contracts.

Posted via CB10 on my Big Red Classic!
    03-08-15 10:58 PM
    Not taking inflation into account:

Buying your phone outright is always cheaper!

They are just subsidising because they can make more money in the long run.

If you can afford to buy a phone outright, do so, as you won't be held hostage for 2 years.

I bought an iPhone 6 when my contract ran out and sold it for a nice profit, as it was out of stock in my area.
    I used the money to pay the "early upgrade fee" which essentially was another 25% discount on the iPhone and am still waiting for my carrier to stock the Passport..... the reason I tell CS when they call and ask when I will finally upgrade.

All in all, long story short: I got my Passport for 124 GBP and am only paying my SIM only tariff at the moment.

They way they play with us is just a good guide on how to play with them....

Posted via CB10
    03-08-15 11:20 PM
    Just to clarify, the 30 or 40$ line access charge disappears once you've passed the 2 year mark or if you bought a phone outright?

Posted via CB10
    03-09-15 12:08 AM
    Read the fine print. The "2 lines for 110" is only if you finance on the Edge program. The $110 is the line access fees and data fees. That does not include the monthly payments for each phone.

Normally, a plan with 6 gb and two lines with unlimited talk and text is $150 not including insurance ($40 + $40 for line access + $70 for data, talk, text). On the Edge, Verizon gives you a $25 discount per Edge line with 6 gb of data ($15 for 4 gb or under) or more. Instead of paying $40 per smartphone line like you would on a traditional contract, you pay $15 per line. Add the 6 gb of data and you have access fees of $100 with the current promotion.

Now, since you're financing a phone, you obviously have to make the payments. For a Galaxy S5, the monthly payments are $27.08. If you finance two Galaxy S5's, that $100 suddenly becomes $154.16 due each month. Nobody is getting two lines for $100 unless they completely pay off the phones. It's possible AFTER TIME, but a phone call to customer care won't get you that price. Nor will you find anything better than unlimited talk and text with 2 gb of data for $60 with a single line plan which is no longer offered.

Your plan won't change if you upgrade your device if you elect to keep your plan the same unless you have unlimited data.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-15 02:01 AM
    I've been trying to figure out if buying a new phone outright is a better deal. Currently on verizon unlimited talk/text with 2gb of data for $60/month. That promotional plan isn't offered anymore.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-15 05:51 AM
    I've been trying to figure out if buying a new phone outright is a better deal. Currently on verizon unlimited talk/text with 2gb of data for $60/month. That promotional plan isn't offered anymore.

Posted via CB10
    It's always better to buy outright. The phone is yours 100%, you keep your upgrades, and your contract remains month to month which can sometimes get you a good plan discount. The ability to disconnect or switch to another carrier at any time is also an appealing positive to buying full retail.
    If you do decide to take the contract price and sign a new agreement you won't lose your plan. If you want the lowest up front cost and want to keep some flexibility with your phone and contract, consider Edge. (If you do a full finance with 0% APR.) I'm on the Edge program. I put down a decent chunk of the cost up front so that Verizon pays me every month to finance my phone with the bill credit mentioned in my last post. I financed $510 of an $850 phone. Do Edge, put down most of your phone's cost up front, get paid to finance it instead of paying the full retail to save the most in the long run. I'm never going to really pay that full $850 because Verizon is handing me a $25 monthly discount for being on Edge and my payment for the phone each month is $21. I think your discount would be $15 because of your data plan. You're not as free if you bought the phone full retail but you're sure as hell not as screwed as a two year upgrade. If you're considering spending $700 on a new phone you might as well do it in a way that saves you money on your bill.

Posted via CB10
    dhbrell10 likes this.
    03-10-15 12:05 AM
    I spoke with VZW today and they assured me i wouldn't lose my current plan even if I upgraded because it's one of their "loyalty" plans. Now I need to decide if i want to buy outright or not...
    03-10-15 01:10 PM
    I spoke with VZW today and they assured me i wouldn't lose my current plan even if I upgraded because it's one of their "loyalty" plans. Now I need to decide if i want to buy outright or not...
    Based on that fact, I don't think you'd be eligible for the discount for going with the edge program. I don't think that loyalty plan qualifies.

Posted via CB10 on my Big Red Classic!
    03-10-15 01:11 PM
29 12