Is it possible on Verizon to have 2 phone numbers and 1 physical phone?

I have my old number/blackberry 8130 with phone number 111-111-1111 and a new number/blackberry 8130 with phone number 222-222-2222 supplied by my company. I only need one, but would like to also keep my old 111-111-1111 phone number that everyone knows.

Is there something I can do or ask a cust service rep to do to to support that? I would likely only call out from the new 222 number, but would like the 111 number to also ring the same phone.

I don't want to pay full price to keep 111 and the phone and forward the number to 222, which I think I can do. I just figure there's something that can be done for much less cost to say 111 = 222 on inbound calls. It's all just software in the end.

Thanks!
    05-08-09 10:05 AM
    It use to be done, but VZW and I believe most other carriers, will not do this anymore. Sorry
    05-08-09 10:07 AM
    You may be able to do this with Google Voice, if and when it becomes available. I'm still waiting to see.
    05-08-09 11:42 AM
    Most phones were capable of having multiple phones numbers active. If you look in the settings its called Nam1 and nam2. The reason is way back when before nationwide calling snowbirds or traveling business people in particular would have two different numbers for the two different places they lived and carriers could program the phone to have two different numbers and they would switch the nam in the phone to the number they want to use for the area they are in. Carriers no longer use this becuase of nationwide calling but for some reason phone manufactures are still programming the phones with that ability.

So long story short. It use to be done but no carrier will do it anymore.
    05-08-09 12:26 PM
    And with dual-NAM phones, you had to manually switch from one NAM to the other. It was not automatic and it didn't act like a two-line phone.

If you are on NAM1, calls to NAM2 go straight to voicemail. When you're on NAM2, your data connectivity goes away on many devices.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-08-09 12:31 PM
    Forgetting the device hardware, the "network" can support this solution. Forget the phones and NAM. Look at it like the Internet we're all familiar with.

Go to crackberry.com or www.crackberry.com and even forums.crackberry.com can all be pointing to the same place with different names. There is no need that they be 3 physical different servers handling the requests. They can just be 3 names that point to the same physical thing.

I'm just looking for network based forwarding not associated with a physical device for both numbers. It's whether they do it and what is the cost if they do. Can verizon have a phone number in their network not associated with a physical device and it support nothing more then forwarding to another number on a physical device in their network. I don't need the physical device I have on me to support this.
    05-08-09 12:48 PM
    I guess you can think outside of the box. Get a free phone for the second line with call forwarding. Have it always forward and turn the free phone off. Then you'll always receive your calls on your normal phone.
    05-08-09 01:54 PM
    I guess you can think outside of the box. Get a free phone for the second line with call forwarding. Have it always forward and turn the free phone off. Then you'll always receive your calls on your normal phone.
    There are 2 different ways to interpret what you're suggesting.

1) A free phone and a full calling plan. Well, I don't need that as I already have a phone (2 actually - both active) so I don't need yet another one. And I don't want to pay for a full voice plan for a number which won't be making any outgoing calls.

2) A pay as you go phone. Looking at Verizon's offering, I'd still pay minutes on that pay as you go number for each call that came in that was forwarded. Seems like double dipping (they charge the wireless phone AND the other phone (landline or wireless)) and for the same "traffic" on their network.
    05-08-09 02:38 PM
    I'm not sure if you could do this, but it's worth asking. Call a landline company, AT&T or whatever, and see if they will port 111-111-1111 to a landline and then make it an RCF (remote call forward) pointed to 222-222-2222.

Think of it like a forwarding email address.

Again, I don't know if the company will support porting a number from a cell company or not.

We use tons of RCF numbers for advertising purposes when we want to have a local number appear, but don't need the physical line. It just points to a number in another city.

Off the top of my head I can't remember if they charge a flat fee or per call charge, but I think it's per call.
    05-09-09 06:26 PM
    You may be able to do this with Google Voice, if and when it becomes available. I'm still waiting to see.
    Google Voice doesn't support porting numbers in for users at this time. Although I guess by the time they open registration they might.

I don't even have invites to send from my GV account yet. They disappeared a few months before the transition from Grand Central.
    05-09-09 06:32 PM
    You can do this, NAM 1 can be OTA programmed and NAM 2 must be manually programmed. They have to be numbers in the same market (i.e. area code/prefix) but it can be done. Call Tech Support to program, or CS.
    05-09-09 06:59 PM
    Forgetting the device hardware, the "network" can support this solution. Forget the phones and NAM. Look at it like the Internet we're all familiar with.

Go to crackberry.com or www.crackberry.com and even forums.crackberry.com can all be pointing to the same place with different names. There is no need that they be 3 physical different servers handling the requests. They can just be 3 names that point to the same physical thing.

I'm just looking for network based forwarding not associated with a physical device for both numbers. It's whether they do it and what is the cost if they do. Can verizon have a phone number in their network not associated with a physical device and it support nothing more then forwarding to another number on a physical device in their network. I don't need the physical device I have on me to support this.
    Of course the network will support it - as you alluded to, it is a device or policy limitation.

Local telcos can do what you're asking for. It is often cheaper to do a virtual on top of an existing line. If you've even heard those custom ring numbers, one line with (usually) up to three different numbers attached, it is exactly this. You get a custom ring number (505-555-1212) attached to your regular home number (505-555-1313), then you add programmable or static remote call forwarding to the custom ring number.

I like programmable, as it is easy for you to change, if need be. The other requires a call to the local telco and often a service charge. Sometimes these service orders require one to two working days for the change to take effect.
    05-10-09 04:20 AM
    My friend just has his home Celly call forwarded to his Work Celly. Both are through VZW. So any calls that go to his home cell go automatically to his work cell too.

And cause they are both mobile phones, it considers that mobile to mobile minutes, and since both are within verizon, all calls to his home cell are free. As it views them as "In Network" calling. Works out well for him.
    05-10-09 05:15 AM
    Thats what I was going to say. Immediate call forwarding of one MDN to another. That would be the resolution. because then both numbers would ring on one phone.
    05-10-09 07:10 AM
    My friend just has his home Celly call forwarded to his Work Celly. Both are through VZW. So any calls that go to his home cell go automatically to his work cell too.
    I'm doing that right now, but I'm paying for 2 complete plans. My goal is to only have 1 plan and some additional fee for the 2nd number. I will call Verizon next week to see what they can do.

Google Voice (ex-Grand Central) would be a great solution if they let me port my number over, but they don't yet. Magic Jack would be another great solution, but no porting yet there either.
    05-10-09 09:06 AM
    [QUOTE=GeekNJ;2517865]I'm doing that right now, but I'm paying for 2 complete plans. My goal is to only have 1 plan and some additional fee for the 2nd number. I will call Verizon next week to see what they can do.
    QUOTE]

Either way you would be paying for two lines, becuase you still have to pay for service to the second line. because technically two numbers means two seperate lines even if they are attached to the same device.
    05-10-09 10:52 AM
    Either way you would be paying for two lines, becuase you still have to pay for service to the second line. because technically two numbers means two seperate lines even if they are attached to the same device.
    No, I wouldn't. I want 2 numbers, not 2 lines. Only 1 phone, only 1 phone can dial out. Just look at all the VOIP solutions where you can have multiple numbers route to your 1 "physical" line. Yes, I would expect a fee not unlike what you pay for a 2nd, 3rd, etc number on your VOIP line. Vonage calls it a virtual number and it costs $5. No additional real cost to the provider once it says 111-111-1111 points to 222-222-2222. It's not different then what I'm doing already with Verizon - forward 111-111-1111 to 222-222-2222. Nothing more. It's all handled in their network and doesn't come phone #1, then route back and route to phone #2.
    05-10-09 11:37 AM
    Would something like Vumber - Home of the virtual phone number. help?

05-10-09 11:51 AM
    Yes, ONLY if they allowed me to xfer my existing 111-111-1111 number and that isn't what that service provides. That's the only thing I'm looking for is to retain my 111-111-1111 for so many years.
    05-10-09 11:54 AM
    Yes, ONLY if they allowed me to xfer my existing 111-111-1111 number and that isn't what that service provides. That's the only thing I'm looking for is to retain my 111-111-1111 for so many years.
    Okay then - simple solution (I hope) - call VZW, ask if they offer virtual phone numbers. I am unsure if they do or don't.

If not, check with your local telco for one of the solutions I mentioned previously, if you maintain a local line.

05-10-09 12:43 PM
    When is it supposed to be released

05-11-09 09:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD