My New Every 2 will be up in May. Like most here, I am a junkie. I currently have a 9650 Bold, but only because I lucked out when they were replacing broken Tours with Bold last summer. I will probably go with an Android device next, but no matter what device, I won't want to use it for two years. That leads me to my question:

Is it better to pay the higher amount up front and take a 1yr contract - or is it better to take the 2yr contract and pay the ETF to upgrade after one year?

How much more is a 1yr contract for most smartphones? I know the ETF goes down over time, but what is the amount and rate? Should be possible to calculate the breakeven point where paying the ETF is cheaper than the 1yr plan.
    01-01-11 08:13 PM
    I don't know about the ETF's, but as far as the 2yr pricing and 1yr - basically if a phone is $99 for a 2yr contract, you'd add $70 to that, making it $169 for a 1yr contract. So I would think its cheaper to pay the extra $70 and go with a 1yr contract than paying a couple hundred on an ETF.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-01-11 08:46 PM
    If you qualify for NE2 then you would qualify for an Annual upgrade. Then you can buy a phone at the 2 year price and be able to upgrade every 12 months.

markhunsaker likes this.
    01-01-11 08:52 PM
    That is true about the early upgrade.

On the other hand most smart phones are another 100 bucks more just for a 1 year versus 2 year contract. The early termination fee was raised and most it starts around 199 and can go up to 325. (depending on carrier) It is a lot more expensive then just shelling out the 100 dollars in the beginning. If you do qualify for new every 2 then you should do that by all means and just sign the two year contract and get a new phone every year.
    01-01-11 09:10 PM
    The problem with the early termination fees is that you lose your phone number. Go with the two year contract and do the early annual upgrade.
    01-01-11 09:25 PM
    I like to get the 2 year on my phone (primary line), but the second and third I do one years, because the wife wants a new one every year. I use the first and the third, so I can get an upgrade every 6 months.

01-01-11 09:58 PM
    Man, you've got everything figured out!!! I wish I thought of something like that but I have just been buying all my phones on ebay.
    01-01-11 10:00 PM
    I sign 2 year contracts but have been a customer long enough and spend enough that I get to upgrade my primary (only) line once a year for the 2 year contract price +$20 if the rep chooses. Requires signing a new 2 year contract though. I just did it this September again, so my contract went from being up in 2011 to 2012 as I recall. Next year if I so desire it can be done again as neeed.

You may want to call customer service and see if that is an option they'll let you invoke.
    01-02-11 11:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD