So a lot of people say why do you need WiFi w/ VZW...

As i use my Storm I notice that it goes about as fast as using my 8900 on my Verizon FiOS (20/5) WiFi connection with the regular BB browser...

Is VZW's 3G about as equal to any old home internet connection? I mean because WiFi speed depends on the connection itself right?

I'm always crying about VZW not having WiFi but really the only perk i see to it is UMA which they don't even offer so you know... its not THAT often i'm so place VZW gets absolutely no service

insight?
    06-18-09 03:38 AM
    wifi 802.11g is a max of 54Mbps. very unlikely you will see anywhere close to that.

EV Rev A = max 3.1Mbps
    EV Rev 0 = Max 2.4?? Mbps

even with wifi capable of producing much higher speeds you phone is not capable of processing the speeds. ie. fios internet with a win 95 pc.

i see no reason for wifi on a phone with vzw. They have RevA speed almost everywhere and where they dont you most likely won't find wifi.
    06-18-09 06:17 AM
    right. i know the phone won't be as fast a PC i'm just comparing speeds of a wifi connection on a phone vs. verizons 3g
    06-18-09 06:36 AM
    Basically you are right. While a wifi connection may be faster, the phone/browser does not have the processing capability to use that speed potential. Normally if you are in a good coverage area there shouldn't be too much of a night and day difference

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-18-09 07:24 AM
    Having wifi is not always about the speed, the reason I would want wifi, is to access internal network resources not available on the net, such as Intranets, and home automation stuff.
    06-18-09 07:26 AM
    Basically you are right. While a wifi connection may be faster, the phone/browser does not have the processing capability to use that speed potential. Normally if you are in a good coverage area there shouldn't be too much of a night and day difference

Thats true when browsing, but downloading large files like podcasts etc.. wifi blows the doors off 3G
    06-18-09 09:41 AM
    Back when I had a Touch Pro and my Storm, I'd use the Pro's WiFi and open the same pages on both phones. The Storm using the RevA always loaded faster.
    06-18-09 09:47 AM
    You can't compare a bb browser to any other smartphone browser speed wise. All data goes through rims servers and is compressed.
    Winmo, s60, iphone and others go straight to the internet.

06-18-09 09:59 AM
    truthfully to see the speed benefits of wi-fi you have to compare apples to apples..

meaning the only way to test would be to test with the exact same hardware..

in other words on cdma its impossible to do on a blackberry to get a quality test..

now you could do it with one of the current win-mo phones to see just how much faster wi-fi actually is
    06-18-09 05:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD