09-05-09 03:59 PM
38 12
tools
    What is the difference? What do the lowercase letters signify?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-29-09 11:58 AM
    lower case means that the device is not seeing the data network. This is with either 1x or 1xev, you need to see the caps
    05-29-09 12:00 PM
    05-29-09 12:00 PM
    lower case means that the device is not seeing the data network. This is with either 1x or 1xev, you need to see the caps
    I always thought 1xev was strange.. I know it exists because i have seen it on my phone a couple times, but if it is the phone not seeing the data network, how does it know you are in an evdo network since evdo is 3g data. Anyone else ever wondered about that?
    05-29-09 12:23 PM
    Lets just say it sees it, but it not seeing right. Most of the time this resolved with a battery reset or resending service books.
    05-29-09 12:54 PM
    I always thought 1xev was strange.. I know it exists because i have seen it on my phone a couple times, but if it is the phone not seeing the data network, how does it know you are in an evdo network since evdo is 3g data. Anyone else ever wondered about that?
    the phone can see ev coverage because its also a voice network...even 'dumb' phones see 1x and ev...just with a BB the lowercase letters mean it is seeing only the voice services and not data..so yes it can still see evdo with out the data
    05-29-09 01:03 PM
    the phone can see ev coverage because its also a voice network...even 'dumb' phones see 1x and ev...just with a BB the lowercase letters mean it is seeing only the voice services and not data..so yes it can still see evdo with out the data
    WA WA WA?!!?!?!
    2.5G 1xRTT CDMA2000 is what is used for voice coverage.. 3g EVDO Evolution-Data Optimized is used for data transfers.. The reason "dumb" phones see 1x and evdo is because evdo is the data signal.. even dumb phones can use data. The whole point is if you are in an evdo environment then the data has to exist.. for your phone to not see "data" but to see evdo is oxymoronic in some senses. Even in a EVDO environment your phone uses 1xTT for voice communications, hense why it is listed as 1xEV on the blackberry 1xRTT (2.5g voice and data) and EVDO (3g data)..
    Now if they had EVDO Rev B (oh god i wish they did) you would see a 3x... It is like saying LTE is going to be the voice network for verizon (pretty sure they are continuing to use the 1xRTT infrastructure for voice and are replacing the EVDO Rev A with LTE for data only)
    Last edited by numus; 05-29-09 at 01:34 PM.
    05-29-09 01:30 PM
    But I am able to connect and have been..... No problems at all...... Just I have heard prepple talk about it and was curious.

05-29-09 01:34 PM
    Is there any faster/better/stronger signal than 1XEV?

05-29-09 03:01 PM
    Not till LTE comes out
    05-29-09 03:10 PM
    Is there any faster/better/stronger signal than 1XEV?

Yes... it is called EVDO Rev B... but no one is going to use that since 4g is on its way...Right now the fastest is EVDO Rev A that is really used but blackberrys only have EVDO Rev 0 capabilities...
    05-29-09 03:56 PM
    Thanks guys. I guess my question also is, is there another icon other than 1X-EV that is better such as: EV or Ev-DO. Or is the 1X just represent the voice and EV is for my 3G data?

05-29-09 04:00 PM
    lowercase means you have network coverage

capital letters means you have network connection AND service from RIM servers where all of the data services are hosted from. like email, browser, BBM, etc...without caps you can't use the RIM services, but you can still use network services, like opera and sms, calls, etc...
    05-29-09 05:06 PM
    Thanks guys. I guess my question also is, is there another icon other than 1X-EV that is better such as: EV or Ev-DO. Or is the 1X just represent the voice and EV is for my 3G data?

highlighted the correct portion of your statement.
    05-29-09 05:07 PM
    patches is correct. when it is all lowercase you can still use network services, so any application that uses TCP data (opera, bolt, etc) still can work but things that use BIS or BES like BBM, email, BB Browser wont work!
    05-29-09 07:47 PM
    lowercase means you have network coverage

capital letters means you have network connection AND service from RIM servers where all of the data services are hosted from. like email, browser, BBM, etc...without caps you can't use the RIM services, but you can still use network services, like opera and sms, calls, etc...
    That makes a ton of sense when you compare it to the question i had earlier about how if lowercase means you have no coverage then how can it tell you are in an evdo area?!?
    But saying it has no RIM connection makes a lot more sense then it has no data at all.. thanks for clarification it actually makes a whole lot of sense now...

and to the question before.. no.. you will see 1x or 1xEV.. 1x is for 1xRTT (2.5g although it can be considered 3g also) and EVDO (3g). when you are in 1x you still have a data connection but it is pretty slow
    05-30-09 12:52 AM
    hmmmm...

I have received email on just 1X

so Im guessing that if its 1x it still has data services through rim?
    05-30-09 04:39 AM
    lowercase indicator means no RIM service, but network service, capital indicator means network and RIM service, as indicated based on the signal strength/type of signal being picked up...

so there is
    1x (slow, no RIM
    1X (slow, with RIM)
    1xev (fast, no RIM)
    1XEV (fast, with RIM)
    05-30-09 01:56 PM
    Ive been going through this with my phone and its dying radio the past few weeks. I understood that lowercase means you werent connected to RIM, but what network services SHOULD you be able to access under 1xev? From my experiences, I havent been able to do anything on 1xev except receive calls.
    05-30-09 03:17 PM
    You should be able to SMS. I have been seeing the same on my phone.yhis morning I did manual programing, resent service books and the sent them from the BIS as well. Seems the device is staying better to 1XEV for the moment.
    05-30-09 03:19 PM
    You should be able to SMS. I have been seeing the same on my phone.yhis morning I did manual programing, resent service books and the sent them from the BIS as well. Seems the device is staying better to 1XEV for the moment.
    Gotcha. I am able to SMS. I go through that same routine at least once a day. Manually register, resend service books, sometimes a battery pull as well. Irritating
    05-30-09 03:24 PM
    the list of potential reasons that you're experiencing this is as long as i am tall...so generally just a battery pull to resolve it, but it could be location as well.
    05-30-09 03:29 PM
    Gotcha. I am able to SMS. I go through that same routine at least once a day. Manually register, resend service books, sometimes a battery pull as well. Irritating
    Have you tried *22899?

I don't know the technical jargon, but apparently it updates the data network programmed on your phone...

Good luck!
    05-30-09 03:31 PM
    the list of potential reasons that you're experiencing this is as long as i am tall...so generally just a battery pull to resolve it, but it could be location as well.
    My other phones don't experience the same issue, nor does my mobile broadband device. Ive been carrying my wife's old pearl for the past few days and havent had one issue. Just today I've had to re-register my storm twice.

Have you tried *22899?

I don't know the technical jargon, but apparently it updates the data network programmed on your phone...

Good luck!
    Yeah, tried just about everything half a dozen times. Waiting on a decent warranty replacement.

Anyway </hijack>
    05-30-09 03:34 PM
    My other phones don't experience the same issue, nor does my mobile broadband device. Ive been carrying my wife's old pearl for the past few days and havent had one issue. Just today I've had to re-register my storm twice.

Yeah, tried just about everything half a dozen times. Waiting on a decent warranty replacement.

Anyway </hijack>
    You could try wiping your handset clean and reprogramming the OS?

Bizarre...must be a handset issue then if your wife's pearl works fine...
    05-30-09 03:38 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD