11-04-10 03:03 AM
26 12
tools
    How many people will be switching to this?
    10-28-10 08:41 AM
    I just went to check it out and I didn't have it as an option to change on my account.
    10-28-10 09:03 AM
    I thought I would with my wife, but 150 MB isn't hard to hit even on her Bold. She just does e-mail and Facebook with the occasional web browsing to look up a number and she was still close to 200 MB.
    10-28-10 09:08 AM
    Hmm I might update. I rarely go over 100mb. I'm currently at 36mb about 2 weeks into the biling cycle. Once I stopped using Pandora my usage dropped dramitcally. I will be happy to save $15/month.
    10-28-10 09:28 AM
    I use more than 150Mb in a normal day, so while I'd love to save money on my mobile plan, in my case it just can't be done.

How does one use so little data in a month? Is it that you only receive/send emails?
    10-28-10 10:46 AM
    I use more than 150Mb in a normal day, so while I'd love to save money on my mobile plan, in my case it just can't be done.

How does one use so little data in a month? Is it that you only receive/send emails?
    I think someone can use that little if they almost never stream any video or audio and are on wifi the bulk of the time. Emails take next to nothing as far as data unless they have some big attachments.

Also, you can tinker with your apps to make them use less data. A lot of the newer apps have some wifi only options. Or make them update less often, things like that.
    10-28-10 10:57 AM
    I used just over 2.5GBs last month so I think I'll stick with the unlimited!
    10-28-10 11:46 AM
    I used just over 2.5GBs last month so I think I'll stick with the unlimited!
    Me too. I use between 2-3 Gb's every month.
    10-28-10 11:51 AM

LOL I'm trying to figure out how someone uses that much in one day.
    But yea I never stream music and maybe a short you tube clip once or twice a month. Few apps. *shrug*

Also, all day I chill on the computer at work, so I don't really have much a need for the phone minus talking to people. And once I get home from work, I'm not on my home computer much since I just spent 8 hours on one.

ps - phone doesn't even have wifi
    10-28-10 01:12 PM
    I still don't have the option to drop my data plan to the lower usage option. Maybe this evening or tomorrow it will pop up.

I would consider it for my wife's 9650, but would probably keep mine higher so we could use my phone for MB-intensive apps (i.e., streaming music/video) if needed. It would be nice to save $30/month for lowering both, but I would settle for saving $15/month over nothing.
    10-28-10 01:12 PM
    Not sure if the option to move to a *lower* plan will be there in the future but, according to the VZW rep with whom I spoke a short while ago, the option to change back to unlimited (from $15/150MB) will be.

When I requested a change to $15/150MB on several devices, the rep actually had to put me on hold for a few minutes in order to "see if I qualified" by verifying usage on the devices for which I requested the change. I knew that they did, of course, since I check usage on the My VZW site periodically. Regardless, PITA to have to call C/S to effect the change and, hopefully, they'll reconsider the decision not to offer the option to change to $15/150MB from unlimited online in the near future (can't imagine them not doing so if C/S is getting swamped with calls).

BTW, for anyone wanting to "downgrade" from unlimited, be aware that the change does NOT go into effect until the start of your ***next billing period*** (i.e., no prorating). So, IF you're committed to switching to $15/150, call C/S right away and have them make the switch. For example, my next billing period starts on 12/16 so I won't get the benefit of the lower charge until the start of that new billing period. FWIW.........
    10-28-10 02:18 PM
    I'm all over the place on my usage, so I'm sticking with the unlimited. This month I've only used 108 MB in 22 days, but other months I've used 1 or 2 GB. Just depends on where I'm working, how much I'm home (WiFi), and how much music streaming I do.
    10-28-10 02:47 PM
    Am I reading this right?

via the little My Verizon app on my phone....

it says I've used only 34410 kb so far this month, that is 34 mb right?

and if so how is that possible? I used tether for a good couple hours on some fairly graphic intensive sites about a week ago...weird
    10-28-10 02:57 PM
    I'm all over the place on my usage, so I'm sticking with the unlimited. This month I've only used 108 MB in 22 days, but other months I've used 1 or 2 GB....
    Yeah, IMHO, that decision is simply a no-brainer. It makes absolutely no sense for anyone who has EVER used 1-2GB in any one month to downgrade as those extra (over 300) "per MB" charges would more than exceed any savings you would realize paying $15/mo less; in fact, they'd eat you alive at those levels and pretty much force you right back into the unlimited data plan.
    10-28-10 03:00 PM
    Most I have ever used in a month was 3.8 GB. That was crazy with a lot going on...

Now I avg around 3 GB.
    10-28-10 03:06 PM
    LOL I'm trying to figure out how someone uses that much in one day.
    But yea I never stream music and maybe a short you tube clip once or twice a month. Few apps. *shrug*

Also, all day I chill on the computer at work, so I don't really have much a need for the phone minus talking to people. And once I get home from work, I'm not on my home computer much since I just spent 8 hours on one.

ps - phone doesn't even have wifi
    I wouldn't use a work PC for anything I do. Not that I look at inappropriate things, just it's rather my business what browsing I do. As flaky as many corporations are getting about what they consider inappropriate (gun forums, etc) I don't see taking a chance on it if I do want to browse/post/have a discussion.

My phone is basically my computer/internet access at home, so I use it extensively for most of the things I used to use my laptop for when I had my BB.
    10-28-10 04:58 PM
    I would if I could. The only data I use on the phone is email, but I can't drop down until I get rid of this PAM which won't be for another week at least.
    10-28-10 05:28 PM
    I'm using a mifi device and want to downgrade to the 3GB plan but when I look at the options to change the data plan, I see three tabs at the top, "Ipad" "Mobile hotspot/netbooks" and "USB Modems." It seems to default me to the USB Modems tab and only offers me a 250mb or 5GB option. It appears I CAN select the 3GB plan under "Mobile Hotspot/Netbooks" tab but not sure if I can actually change it. Do I need to call in and change this? I was looking forward to the 3GB plan as I only use the mifi at work and use about 2.5GB/billing cycle.
    10-29-10 01:13 AM
    I'm using a mifi device and want to downgrade to the 3GB plan but when I look at the options to change the data plan, I see three tabs at the top, "Ipad" "Mobile hotspot/netbooks" and "USB Modems." It seems to default me to the USB Modems tab and only offers me a 250mb or 5GB option. It appears I CAN select the 3GB plan under "Mobile Hotspot/Netbooks" tab but not sure if I can actually change it. Do I need to call in and change this? I was looking forward to the 3GB plan as I only use the mifi at work and use about 2.5GB/billing cycle.
    It is available for you, but if it doesn't let you change it, then call in.
    10-29-10 10:20 AM
    Not sure if the option to move to a *lower* plan will be there in the future but, according to the VZW rep with whom I spoke a short while ago, the option to change back to unlimited (from $15/150MB) will be.

When I requested a change to $15/150MB on several devices, the rep actually had to put me on hold for a few minutes in order to "see if I qualified" by verifying usage on the devices for which I requested the change. I knew that they did, of course, since I check usage on the My VZW site periodically. Regardless, PITA to have to call C/S to effect the change and, hopefully, they'll reconsider the decision not to offer the option to change to $15/150MB from unlimited online in the near future (can't imagine them not doing so if C/S is getting swamped with calls).

BTW, for anyone wanting to "downgrade" from unlimited, be aware that the change does NOT go into effect until the start of your ***next billing period*** (i.e., no prorating). So, IF you're committed to switching to $15/150, call C/S right away and have them make the switch. For example, my next billing period starts on 12/16 so I won't get the benefit of the lower charge until the start of that new billing period. FWIW.........
    CS (as well as the website) should allow you to pick whatever effective date you want. You cannot backdate prior to the plan being released however (10/28). I don't get how your feature change wouldn't go into effect until 12/16.. That would mean you should have a billing cycle starting 11/16 as well. I might double check on that effective date because the most we can go out is to the beginning of the next billing cycle and 12/16 as way more than a month in advance.
    10-29-10 11:29 AM
    Am I reading this right?

via the little My Verizon app on my phone....

it says I've used only 34410 kb so far this month, that is 34 mb right?

and if so how is that possible? I used tether for a good couple hours on some fairly graphic intensive sites about a week ago...weird
    It all depends on when your billing cycle started. If it just started over two days ago, then it could very well be right. If it started 3 weeks ago (to include your tethering), it doesn't sound as likely. The app should list the start of your billing cycle and the last time the usage was calculated. Ex: "As of 10/28 at 8:00AM, you have used 34410kb". Look at the app a little bit further and it might make more sense (or less lol)
    10-29-10 11:32 AM
    CS (as well as the website) should allow you to pick whatever effective date you want. You cannot backdate prior to the plan being released however (10/28). I don't get how your feature change wouldn't go into effect until 12/16.. That would mean you should have a billing cycle starting 11/16 as well. I might double check on that effective date because the most we can go out is to the beginning of the next billing cycle and 12/16 as way more than a month in advance.
    Whoops! Yes, sorry, "12/16" was a typo. I meant to write that the change is effective starting with my next billing cycle on **11/16**.

Regardless, according to the rep, you can NOT pick the effective date for this particular "downgrade"; they're simply not prorating for those switching (mid-cycle) from unlimited. So, in my case, the change goes into effect on 11/16 but, again according to the rep, I won't see any effect on my bill until the following cycle at which point I'll see $29.99 credits and $15 charges.

I apologize if the foregoing turns out to be inaccurate in any way, shape, or form; it is, however, what I was told by the VZW C/S rep with whom I spoke.
    10-29-10 11:59 AM
    I was able to change my MiFi plan to the 3gb plan yesterday via the web. I'd call them up! I use between 2-3gb each month, so this plan will be perfect for me to save some money. Even going over by 1gb, $10 extra will still be cheaper than $59.
    10-29-10 03:12 PM
    I was able to change my MiFi plan to the 3gb plan yesterday via the web. I'd call them up! I use between 2-3gb each month, so this plan will be perfect for me to save some money. Even going over by 1gb, $10 extra will still be cheaper than $59.
    Got it!! I'm all set but did have to call them. $35/mo is easier on my budget for sure. Thanks all

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-29-10 07:39 PM
    This is great but not so great if you go ovet by 1kb, still $10. So watch your usage
    10-30-10 08:37 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD