01-24-11 03:09 PM
77 1234
tools
    Not true. I have one "dumb" phone and one Samsung multimedia phone and I qualified for the $10/month promotion.
    Sorry, I didn't clarify enough....for that specific line (he was talking about his daughter's line), yes, he would have to upgrade her to a smart phone. The promotion only works on lines with the 29.99 data. When I had the promotion added, I had three lines, 2 smart phones and 1 feature phone. The promotion applied to my two smart phone lines but didn't change anything on my feature phone line.
    01-12-11 10:31 AM
    Well, it took me 5 days and half a dozen CS reps, but finally got the one that knew what this was all about and got it set up. On my 9 lines it saved me $1440 a year. Wow and great!!!!!!

HiddenPuppy
    01-12-11 12:49 PM
    This is a follow up to a previous post about this plan.

A verizon rep called me back to discuss this promotion, 5 days after I had made an initial inquiry.

Much to my surprise, the rep said the plan would save me about $50/mo and I would have a $9.99 unlimited data plan on every line in the plan.

I already had the 1440 minute family plan.

I'm never leaving verizon, but I suppose it could be worse.
    01-12-11 04:06 PM
    sorry if i have missed something, but does this discount require you to extend your contract??

thanks
    01-12-11 04:43 PM
    I actually called when the brochure was first posted. I called the number on the brochure, did not go through 611. I explained to the rep that I was interested in that particular offer. She intially stated I did not qualify, I did not receive an e-mail from Verizon, and asked me how I had heard about the promo. I told I found it on an internet posting (don't worry, I didn't mention any names). She apologized, stated I wasn't eligible, but said she would check my account to see what esle she could do for me. After several minutes on hold she came back and stated that there were no other options, but she had spoke with her supervisor and got the go-ahead to put me into this plan. The only condition was I extend my contract one year. I had just upgraded mine and my daughter's phones, and the wife and son were due for upgrades within a month, so that literally had no effect on my contract dates (I wasn't going anywhere anyway, spent too many years with crappy coverage from ATT). What I got was:

Increase of minutes from 700 to 1400 per month
    Went from $99.99 Nationwide Talk and text to $139.99 talk, text, and data
    2 smartphones (Driod X and BB Curve) on unlimited data plans at $29.99 each to nothing, rolled into the $139.99 plan
    1 smartphone (LG Ally) @ $9.99 plus $29.99 unlimited date to $19.99 for unlimited talk/text/data
    1 dumb phone to be upgraded from $9.99 to $19.99 with unlimited talk/text/data (son originally wanted a Casio multimedia phone, which would not have qualified for the plan, and would have cost $9.99 plus $9.99 for data package, so I talked him into a Droid 2 for the same price).

My company discounts still apply. I'm saving about $40 a month, and increased the options on my plan. It did not impact my NE-2, or annual upgrade options.

The lady was very nice, and continually thank me for being a Verizon Wireless customer (been with them since I changed from ATT in 2005).

It looks like this is where I'm at. I called customer service about a different problem (which they took care of immediately) and also asked to confirm my plan conditions. The girl on the phone did indeed confirm that what I stated above is what I'm getting.
    01-12-11 06:11 PM
    I called VZW and got the loyalty dept just like the instructions said to do. After 30 MINUTES of listening to the freaking noisy background (it sounded like at least a 100 people on phones in that room) the rep sniffling and burping into the phone (and what sounded like her chair farting repeatedly) while she supposedly was hunting for this promo, she finally told me that I didn't qualify because I was not sent the promo email. I mentioned how I felt that a customer was a customer and for some customers to be provided with special pricing didn't seem fair to me, which got absolutely no response. I then asked how I could get on this list of very special people who are offered money saving promos and after 3X of repeating that and her just repeating that I would have had to get the email to qualify ... she told me to sign up for the promos on the VZW website - which I already subscribe to. Very frustrating experience.
    01-12-11 09:18 PM
    I tried to get a friend on the plan, but was told since it hit the Internet blogs, they discontinued the plan unless you actually received the email. Since I already had it on my accou t, it will remain there until I change my plan.
    01-12-11 10:26 PM
    I tried again and the rep I spoke to this time had no idea what I was talking about.

But I can at least get the Smartphones talk free discount for upgrading my wife from her dumb phone to the iPhone. $10/mo for 24 months is a nice savings.
    01-13-11 07:59 AM
    I got this plan back in November on all 5 of my lines.
    01-13-11 09:53 AM
    Tried again. No luck.

I wonder if it is based on my total monthly bill as compared to someone with 4 or 5 smartphones on their account.........
    01-13-11 11:15 AM
    When I look at the plan details on my verizon, the plan reads the following:

- Smartphone Talk Free Promotion: Customer Information

On another screen for a family line:

- TALK & TEXT PLUS DATA $20 DISC

Can anyone confirm this is the plan?
    01-13-11 12:17 PM

I am going to try one more time using these words......
    01-13-11 12:25 PM
    Got a very helpful person this time. But staying as is.

She confirmed it has to be the 1400 T&T plan. And to do that would move me from $110 to $160. I'm better off staying as is and just adding my wife's iPhone ($140).

To that point, she said the Smartphones talk Free promo ends at the end of this month, so it won't even be available (unless extended) as of 2/3 and 2/10 for the iPhone.

Oh well.
    Last edited by jlb21; 01-13-11 at 02:36 PM.
    01-13-11 02:24 PM
    When I look at the plan details on my verizon, the plan reads the following:

- Smartphone Talk Free Promotion: Customer Information

On another screen for a family line:

Can anyone confirm this is the plan?
    That is what mine says. As for it going away when the iPhone hits...they are talking about the Smartphones talking free (9.99 a month discount for 24 months). That is different and can't be combined with the above referenced discount of the talk, text and data plan which is the 20 a month with no expiration date.
    01-13-11 02:40 PM
    That is what mine says. As for it going away when the iPhone hits...they are talking about the Smartphones talking free (9.99 a month discount for 24 months). That is different and can't be combined with the above referenced discount of the talk, text and data plan which is the 20 a month with no expiration date.
    To clarify, your plan reads similiar to mine, with both plan descriptions?
    01-13-11 03:03 PM
    To clarify, your plan reads similiar to mine, with both plan descriptions?
    Sorry, no mine doesn't have the first one. I only have the 20 dollar discount. I was told you can't combine the two, it's either one or the other. So if you have both...sweet...that means your data is free.
    01-13-11 03:16 PM
    Ill report back. My billing cycle ends in a few days.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-13-11 04:19 PM
    I just got it tonight. The rep told us the discount expires in 12 months when the contract expires. Under both phones online it is showing us TALK & TEXT PLUS DATA $20 DISC. I mentioned we plan to upgrade phones in a few months and he said that will not effect the discount. Thanks for the discount!
    01-13-11 05:45 PM
    I just got it tonight. The rep told us the discount expires in 12 months when the contract expires. Under both phones online it is showing us TALK & TEXT PLUS DATA $20 DISC. I mentioned we plan to upgrade phones in a few months and he said that will not effect the discount. Thanks for the discount!
    I asked about the discount, there was no mention of expiry for the $20. We'll see I guess. However the Smartphone Talk Free I believe will expire.
    01-13-11 06:26 PM
    I called yesterday and asked for the loyalty dept and I got them to do it. I just told them I was paying for 2lines and didnt see what I was getting for $165. I have two phones thats almost out on contract and was considering canceling them.

She found it and lowered my bill from 165 before taxes to 112 before taxes. But couldnt figure out how to get the discount to work. She called me back 5mins later and said I would have to go up to 1400mins (i knew this thought i bet them tho) That was cool with me so now im playing 137 before taxes...a little discount but the data plans are still on $10dollars while in contract. Oh yea i didnt have to add another year.
    01-14-11 05:50 AM
    I just got this in the mail.
    01-14-11 03:32 PM
    After reading about AT&T's new TXT plans (to compete with VZW iPhone) I decided to call VZW customer care again. I had Some success!!!!

Mods.... this is a quote of myself from that AT&T TXT thread. I hope this is ok since I felt the info is important to this thread too.....

The VERY helpful person I spoke to in the VZW loyalty assured me without question that there was no way to reduce my data rate without being on the 1400minute T&T plan.

But here's what they are doing for me:

- For choosing to extend my contract (does not effect my remaining NE2) from 11/2011 to 1/2012 (not much), they are going to give me 1 free month of service. For me, that's roughly $120. While this is small fry compared to those of you with 4-5 lines or more, this will equate to a significant portion of the iPhone I want to upgrade my wife to come Feb.

- For choosing to extend my daughter's contract (again nets to only a few additional months), they are giving her 500 bonus minutes for the year (not each month). Heck, it's something. She may end up just saying "Dad I have 1000 this month". Her choice.

- Also, not a monetary thing, but the rep also helped me with my blocks. Previously, there was no way to block web/data without it effecting the ability to do pic/vid messaging. They've changed the blocks around so now she can do pic/vid while we retain the web/data blocks.

Soooooo....all in all a decent bit of help from Big Red for a small-fry but long-time customer.
    01-20-11 10:03 AM
    Big Red's customer service has always been top notch in my experience. Glad to hear they were able to help you out like this.
    01-20-11 10:32 AM
    Agreed. And even though my wife knows I am finally going to upgrade her to the iPhone, I think when our bill comes through with that $199+tax charge, she would still freak a bit. Now, that base cost (netted out) is ~ $79. Much more digestible.

I also do think VZW will do something to fire back at AT&T's new TXT rates........

Ain't competition grand?
    01-20-11 10:44 AM
    I also do think VZW will do something to fire back at AT&T's new TXT rates........

Ain't competition grand?
    Oh, I'm sure they will.

This is why I love Free Enterpise.
    01-20-11 10:59 AM
77 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD