01-24-11 04:09 PM
77 1234
tools
    My brother-in-law added data to a regular phone that previously didn't have data package, and upped his minutes, and still saved $35 a month. You should look into it.
    I am already on the 1400 with two on data and one not. I will call and see what they got.
    01-07-11 05:16 PM
    I'm definitely going to need to look into this further. Unfortunately the savings might not be to great for me because right now I'm on the $15 plan and the cost of upgrading another line on my plan to a smartphone might not justify the savings. But then again, if I switch from my BlackBerry to either Android or the iPhone, chances are I will need to switch back to the unlimited plan as right now I don't even bother browsing on my 9650's horrible browser.

Can't hurt to call up and see what they tell me. Seems as if everyone if getting different answers. Maybe I can only extend my contract for another year and get the discount just for my line without touching the other lines.
    01-07-11 05:40 PM
    Just got off the phone with Verizon CS (I was not connected directly with their loyalty department, just a regular rep). Some interesting notes:
    • This promotion can only be applied when a line on your account upgrades from a dumphone to a smartphone. It can be applied to more than one line.
    • The data plan itself is not explicitly discounted from $29.99 to $9.99, but rather the data plan is discounted $10 ($19.99) and then the line fee ($9.99) is compeltely discounted. So therefore total savings amount to $20 each month. The rep also said that you WILL be charged the $9.99 line fee, but Verizon will credit you that amount each month for the lifetime of your contract.
    • IMPORTANT NOTE FOR THOSE WAITING FOR IPHONE: The rep told me the promotion will END AT THE END OF JANUARY.
    • There was no mention of the promotion being applied if you simply extend your contract.

I hope this was of some help. I'm still skeptical however and might call up later and ask to speak to the loyalty department. Does anyone know if it's possible to connect to them directly?
    01-07-11 06:06 PM
    Just got off the phone with Verizon CS (I was not connected directly with their loyalty department, just a regular rep). Some interesting notes:
    • This promotion can only be applied when a line on your account upgrades from a dumphone to a smartphone. It can be applied to more than one line.
    • The data plan itself is not explicitly discounted from $29.99 to $9.99, but rather the data plan is discounted $10 ($19.99) and then the line fee ($9.99) is compeltely discounted. So therefore total savings amount to $20 each month. The rep also said that you WILL be charged the $9.99 line fee, but Verizon will credit you that amount each month for the lifetime of your contract.
    • IMPORTANT NOTE FOR THOSE WAITING FOR IPHONE: The rep told me the promotion will END AT THE END OF JANUARY.
    • There was no mention of the promotion being applied if you simply extend your contract.
    I hope this was of some help. I'm still skeptical however and might call up later and ask to speak to the loyalty department. Does anyone know if it's possible to connect to them directly?
    I called also, and after talking very, very, very, kindly and nicely to the nice person at the other end here's what finally happened.

- First I was told there was no "loyalty" dept number.
    - After talking to the customer rep for about 10 minutes about this and that, she was saying there was no promotion. She went to talk to her supervisor.
    - Next thing I know I'm talking to someone different.
    - Seems like there are two different promotions:
    1. Is a national promotion, where you upgrade to an advanced device on a share plan the the $9.99 is waived for the duration of the contract. So the net difference to the customer is $29.99+$9.99-$9.99=$29.00 instead of $39.00.
    2. The second person I talked to acknowledged there was another Verizon by invitation plan where the data plan is reduced from $29.99 to $9.99. So what happens is: $29.99+$9.99-$20.00=$18.00, a savings of $20/mo. This person knew about the plan, talked to me about the plan and said my account wasn't eligible, although she didn't know why. She said she would raise this internally within Verizon, so I'm waiting to hear what happens.
    01-07-11 07:16 PM
    I don't know about the recent posts but like I said I got it no problem and have a 1400 family share plan with primary line and 2 other lines, all smartphones and ALL reduced to unlimited for $10. I got to and spoke with loyalty/customer care dept thru VZW cs after being told I qualify.
    Does seem like no consistency with this, guess lucked out! Have been with VZW since 2001 though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-07-11 08:01 PM
    So I tried yesterday twice to get this with no luck and figured why not try one more time today. I talked to a rep that acknowledged the promo, but said that I lived in an ineligible state. I asked if there was a way to get an exception. He called the loyalty dept back and was able to get it for me. Seems this completely depends on who you tall to

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-07-11 08:19 PM
    i just called and talked to a rep that had no idea what this was, and asked others in the department about it as well. is there a special number i should call besides *611?
    01-08-11 06:18 PM
    What worries me about this is:

lifetime of your contract
    We've had varying information about this portion of the promo. Some have said the promo "never expires".

But the way I (literally) read the quote is that the discount may only apply while you are in your (two-year) contract. So perhaps after 2 years, your cost may go up????

I wish we had some form of "official" statement about this as this would determine how quick I upgrade my wife to the iPhone.
    01-10-11 09:39 AM
    just got off the line -- was told it is an "east coast promotion" and i dont qualify for it in the west coast. asked for an exception and he said i get access to other promotions that east coast doesnt, so no luck.

01-10-11 07:39 PM
    I live in S. Dakota and I was able to get the plan for me and my wife who both have tours. A total savings of $480 per year. It took me speaking to three different ppl and the last one asked me how I fnd out about this promotion and I said crackberry. Oh, I also have three other lines that are non data lines on the account and they said it wouldn't be a problem getting the discount. VZW is alright in my book. They just need to get the Playbook now.
    01-10-11 10:24 PM
    I still would like more "raw data" regarding what people are hearing about the plan after "your contract expires".
    01-11-11 09:23 AM
    The rep told me this promotion stay so long as I keep the unlimited data on all phones. This promotion also stays if I get a new phone later.
    01-11-11 09:34 AM
    Hmmmm, then perhaps I might try and get it for my phone. And then if I add an iPhone for my wife I can try that later. But, it might behoove me to wait...I just don't know.

What were the exact terms per what the rep told you?
    01-11-11 10:03 AM
    I've been looking at this the wrong way, I think.

I have thought about trying to get this offer and tie it to a change in plan to get unlimited TXT (on a T&T plan).

If I do that (and assume an iPhone for my wife is added), then I am still $20 more per month. The only one who really cares about the unlimited TXT is clearly my daughter.

But if I can get this "plan"/adjustment on my existing BB alone, then it saves me $20/month or $240/year. And if I can add in an iPhone later for my wife and also get that same discount on data, it still saves $10/month or $120/year.

Anyone have a situation where you were able to get the discount on just your line, and get confirmation that you could add another smartphone/data later?

Even if I could get it on my line, but not my wife's iPhone, that only changes my net cost another $10/mo total. I would be ok with that.....

buuuuut, T&TXT with just my BB is only $10 more per month.

I guess the key is if you get anything applied/discounted now, will there be room for upgrading/adding another smartphone and getting that at $10 too!?!?
    Last edited by jlb21; 01-11-11 at 10:15 AM.
    01-11-11 10:12 AM
    I've been looking at this the wrong way, I think.

I have thought about trying to get this offer and tie it to a change in plan to get unlimited TXT (on a T&T plan).

If I do that (and assume an iPhone for my wife is added), then I am still $20 more per month. The only one who really cares about the unlimited TXT is clearly my daughter.

But if I can get this "plan"/adjustment on my existing BB alone, then it saves me $20/month or $240/year. And if I can add in an iPhone later for my wife and also get that same discount on data, it still saves $10/month or $120/year.

Anyone have a situation where you were able to get the discount on just your line, and get confirmation that you could add another smartphone/data later?

Even if I could get it on my line, but not my wife's iPhone, that only changes my net cost another $10/mo total. I would be ok with that.....

This is a bit long-winded, but stick with me.

I just got this for my lines. It's simple. Call CS, and ask for the Loyalty dept. If you have smartphones on each of your Family Plan lines, and at least one of them is within six months of expiration, then you qualify for the discount. They put you onto the unlimited plan, then discount it $20 per month. New price for the unlimited data is $9.99.

Now, it gets better. Ask for the "Smartphones Talk Free" plan, and all of your secondary smartphone lines get their $9.99 monthly access fee waived. BTW, I still have my 700 minute plan. No forced change to 1400 minutes, either, to get the free talk and text for the secondary smartphones. You'll still get your Family Share Plan minutes shared like before, and you"ll get unlimited data, all for $9.99 per line. It's like getting your data for nothing. The catch is that I had to ensure that all of my contracts had at least one year remaining. As it turned out, I added no time at all. The rep reset all of my end dates to January 2012. In fact, I got two of my lines reduced from the end of 2012 to next January.

I have five BlackBerry lines, and after the discounts and promos, I am paying only for the primary line, with the $9.99 unlimited data, and four secondary lines with unlimited data for $9.99 each and the $9.99 credit for the talk and text. So, four BlackBerrys for $9.99 each. Sweet.

Despite what they often tell you, the CSR can do a lot. If the person that you get does not know about this, just keep trying. As is so often the case with Big Red, what you get depends on the person you're dealing with.

UPDATE: I got a call a few days later from CS. The CSR that I spoke with apparently had it wrong in that I had to change to a 1400-minute plan to qualify for the "Smartphones Talk Free (STF)" promo. Also, the only line that qualifies for the $9.99 STF is the NEW smartphone, not all the smartphone lines like I was originally told.

At the end of the entire process, I added unlimited data to each of my four BlackBerry lines and saved $5 per month each (I had the $15 150MB data plan), changed a fifth line from a feature phone with $9.99 access to another BlackBerry with unlimited data for $9.99 ($9.99 access fee waived for 24 months, and $29.99 unlimited data discounted to $9.99), and changed my plan from 700 to 1400 minutes. Net change to my monthly bill = $0.
    Last edited by Underway99; 01-15-11 at 01:56 AM.
    01-11-11 10:27 AM
    Problem for me may be that right now on our Nationwide loyalty 550 minute family plan, we have my BB and then my wife's dumbphone and then my daughter's enV3.

So we'll see what I can qualify for.

At this point, I am waiting at least until after the iPhone announcement.
    01-11-11 10:53 AM
    Check this out....this is what worries me.

From a link on the VZW site regarding the "smartphone" plan/credit, the credit expires after 24 months.
    01-11-11 11:33 AM
    Check this out....this is what worries me.

From a link on the VZW site regarding the "smartphone" plan/credit, the credit expires after 24 months.
    This is different than what I got by calling the customer loyalty dept. I got $9.99/line not a $9.99/line credit. Plus you had to have the 1400 minute plan which this does not mention.
    01-11-11 11:58 AM
    Ok. Thanks. Once I finish lunch, I am going to call and try again for just my line (and toss in, if necessary, that I will be getting an iPhone/upgrade for my wife). If I can swing a discount on my phone, then a full price iphone data plan is only a net change of $10 over what our plan is now. And if it does expire in 2 years...so be it.

Did they offer you any sort of email or other validation that your discount would not expire?
    01-11-11 01:00 PM
    Did they offer you any sort of email or other validation that your discount would not expire?
    No, and I did not think to ask for one. I should have.
    01-11-11 01:06 PM
    I just tried again and the very experienced (could tell by what and how he talked about all of this) loyalty rep I spoke to said you have to be put on the 1400min T&T plan in order to get it, and all lines had to have a data pak of $29.99 (in order to then have those paks discounted to $9.99.

Too convoluted and all for my blood. no benefit for me since I am at only $110 total right now. Looks like it would make sense if I had all our phones already on data plans.

Also:

they are saying that smartphones talk for free is if you added a new line - any way around that?
    The person I spoke to said no. Have to add/uprgade to a smartphone and he was emphatic that this is only good for the 24 months of the contract (which corroborates what I saw on the website).
    01-11-11 02:21 PM
    The free phone credit ($9.99) IS different than free data+text promotion given as loyalty for other customers.

It is not a promotion that expires. As long as you don’t change your plan you get a $20 a month credit per line. It doesn’t matter if it’s BB or any other kind of data capable phone. The phone + data is $20 not the $40 you would normally pay. Some people didn’t get the mailer but found no push back when calling for the plan. I was one of those. I’ve had Verizon/GTE for 16 years and they ggive me pretty much what I ask for.
    01-11-11 04:35 PM
    So I guess i Would also need to either get my daughter a smartphone to be eligible, or just put data on her enV, right?
    01-12-11 09:07 AM
    So I guess i Would also need to either get my daughter a smartphone to be eligible, or just put data on her enV, right?
    No, even though you can put data on the EnV, it isn't a smartphone and doesn't qualify for either of the two plans being discussed right now. The smart phones talk free (9.99 discounted for 24 months) and the loyalty plan (20 discounted, no end date) require a smart phone.
    01-12-11 10:54 AM
    No, even though you can put data on the EnV, it isn't a smartphone and doesn't qualify for either of the two plans being discussed right now. The smart phones talk free (9.99 discounted for 24 months) and the loyalty plan (20 discounted, no end date) require a smart phone.
    Not true. I have one "dumb" phone and one Samsung multimedia phone and I qualified for the $10/month promotion.
    01-12-11 11:02 AM
77 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD