I am ready for an upgrade on July 6, 2010. I have the Storm 1. Verizon says I can get the S2 for $129 with a 2 year contract or $249 with a 1 year contract. I want to be able to get the "new" S3, Slider, iPhone, etc when they come out and not have to wait so long and still get some kind of a discount on the purchase price of the "new" phone. Is my best option to go with the 1 year contract and pay the $120 premium or is there a better way?
    06-17-10 11:33 AM
    The BEST way, IMHO, is to just hold onto your old device and wait for your dream device to become available. That way, you will get all the discounts, without giving in to 'upgrade fever'.
    06-17-10 01:01 PM
    This way I may be upgrade fever for eternity...
    06-17-10 01:15 PM
    Are you okay spending $120 more on a phone to upgrade up 10 months of every 20 months? That's the only difference. If you see yourself doing that they its worth it, otherwise just hang onto your phone.

It is the cheapest way, unless you get on a $59.99 calling plan (either 900 minutes or 450 minutes + unlimited text) so you can upgrade every year. That will cost you up to $240/year though depending on which texting plan, if any, you already have.
    06-17-10 02:41 PM
    If you're not likely to regret the extra $100, then do that.

Because you ARE likely to regret a years worth of extra waiting if that's what it comes to you. You use your phone every day. $100 (for some people anyway) isn't something you'll think about long after you part with it.
    06-17-10 02:48 PM
    I did the 1 year contract. Thanks for the advice...

It's only money lol
    06-17-10 03:07 PM
    Depending on the plan you are on, the primary line on a Family plan or the phone on a single plan can upgrade every 12 months. I do a 2 year contract on my line and upgrade every 12 months. The other 4 phones on my plan must wait 18 months, so I do a 1 year contract with those. If you are the $$$ amount VZW wants you to be at to have an annual upgrade, no real reason to sign a 1 year contract. They do charge a fee to upgrade each year, but I always call 611 and ask for that to be credited back to me and they do.
    06-17-10 06:05 PM
    I am in the same situation. So, to clarify... If I get the S2 now, with a 1 year contract will I absolutely be able to get another discounted phone in 10 months, or won't I be eligible because I didn't sign a 2 year contract?
    The extra $120 would be worth it to me, since I too am waiting for the next new BB but don't think it will be coming for at least 6 months (except maybe the S2 'refresh').
    08-22-10 03:11 AM
    Depending on the plan you are on, the primary line on a Family plan or the phone on a single plan can upgrade every 12 months. I do a 2 year contract on my line and upgrade every 12 months. The other 4 phones on my plan must wait 18 months, so I do a 1 year contract with those. If you are the $$$ amount VZW wants you to be at to have an annual upgrade, no real reason to sign a 1 year contract. They do charge a fee to upgrade each year, but I always call 611 and ask for that to be credited back to me and they do.
    I'll be calling Verizon tomorrow regarding a refund of the $20. I don't recall a fee being charged online but it is charged in store so I figure it's worth a shot.
    08-22-10 03:51 AM
    I'll be calling Verizon tomorrow regarding a refund of the $20. I don't recall a fee being charged online but it is charged in store so I figure it's worth a shot.
    Yeah, but you had a choice to make. Go in the store and pay the 20 or order it online and wait 2 days for it. You decided to go in the store, 20 dollar fee. Why do you think you are entitled to a refund? What happened to "its only money lol"
    08-23-10 12:03 PM
    Yeah, but you had a choice to make. Go in the store and pay the 20 or order it online and wait 2 days for it. You decided to go in the store, 20 dollar fee. Why do you think you are entitled to a refund? What happened to "its only money lol"
    I don't feel like I'm entitled to anything. In fact, I was the "moron" who forgot that there was no fee to upgrade early online. I made my decision and I e-mailed Verizon regarding it just as a "maybe it'll work" type of deal. While it didn't work fully which in perfectly fine with, I was given $10 back and I couldn't be happier with their customer service. I wouldn't of been disappointed in Verizon should they of not given me anything back though. I made it very clear to them that I was aware of the fee for upgrading in store but I had just recalled an online transaction would of waved the fee. I'm very glad to see Verizon offer me some money back even though they were in no way obligated to.

By the way, I went to the store to check the Droid 2 out and see if it was worth the upgrade. I just couldn't help myself and picked it up there. I definitely showed low self control lol.

And it's only money is right... until you don't have any lol.
    08-23-10 02:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD