I was just wondering how many of you sign up for 1 year contracts?

I have over the past 6 years done 2 year contracts, but thinking of starting 1 year, so it will be easier to upgrade each year. I have 5 phones on my plan and I figure 1 ye3 contracts will let the kids upgrade every 10 months so I don't have to carry insurance on their phones. I can save the old phones for backup in case they do something to the phone they are using.

Anyway I was just wondering how popular the 1 year contracts are.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-01-09 07:53 PM
    The difference 365 days.

Really though it is the price that you get the device for and you would not get the NE2 with a one year contract.
    Last edited by lastraid; 03-01-09 at 09:48 PM.
    03-01-09 07:55 PM
    As primary I upgrade every year anyway!

03-01-09 09:46 PM
    you would not get the NE2
    Since VZW has reduced their NE2 offers, I'm not sure it's even worth the wait...

Back when I was a rep, I actually suggested 1 yr. contracts. Sure, I got less $$$ per customer, but I was able to get more customers from referals. I still don't sign anything more than a 1 yr, myself. The hardware isn't made to last that long, and if you like to have new toys... Yeah...

-GNRPowdeR
    03-02-09 01:39 AM
    Since VZW has reduced their NE2 offers, I'm not sure it's even worth the wait
    -GNRPowdeR

I was thinking the same thing.

The hardware isn't made to last that long,
    I always wondered about that, figured that is why they would give an upgrade at 20 months.
    03-02-09 06:10 AM
    The hardware isn't made to last that long

-GNRPowdeR
    It's all in how the equipment is taken care of; we see customers who have had phones for nearly ten years and it still works great and looks well taken care of, and then you have people who don't take care of it and it barely lasts a year.
    03-02-09 08:59 AM
    My grandma has an LG vx3200 that looks brand new. If your phones don last, you are the problem, not the phone.

03-02-09 03:33 PM
    My grandma has an LG vx3200 that looks brand new. If your phones don last, you are the problem, not the phone.
    Agreed. In all my years of carrying a phone, I've had two fail & neither was my fault. It was the phone's fault for being under my large body when it hit the ground.

I still have scratch-free AMPS phones that would work flawlessly if the network still existed.

03-02-09 05:00 PM
    The only thing I notice as phones get older is the battery life gets worse, but that is expected. I didn't even think of doing a one year contract when I signed my two year agreement. What do you get at the end of one year as an upgrade perk/comp?
    03-03-09 04:27 PM
    Are the phones discounted less for a 1 year agreement?
    03-04-09 11:39 AM
    Yes the discount is less. For my Storm I would have paid about 50 extra for the 1 year contract.
    03-04-09 11:55 AM
    What do you get at the end of one year as an upgrade perk/comp?
    No NE2, if I remember correctly.

03-04-09 12:49 PM
    No NE2, if I remember correctly.

Even without the NE2 that's not bad. All we get anyways for a NE2 is a fifty buck voucher if I read it right. So at least you can get a nice new phone every year.
    03-04-09 05:08 PM
    I have been with VZW for 5 years now and eversince I signed up with them, I always had the 2 year contract. I've always asked to get an "Early Upgrade" after one year of contract and pay $35.00/early upgrade fee (as I can remember). I though take away my NE2 program but what the heck, you get the phone at a discounted price anyways just like if you were to sign up for a new 2 year contract...
    03-04-09 05:49 PM
    How often can you upgrade with the one year contract? Like what's the minimum timE?

05-11-09 09:39 PM
    I believe it is 10 months. Also with a 1 years contract you not get as good a deal on the phone
    05-11-09 10:02 PM
    I believe it is 10 months. Also with a 1 years contract you not get as good a deal on the phone
    What's the average price difference between the one and two year prices? With AT&T, it's $70.00 I believe.

05-11-09 10:19 PM
    Verizon is about 70 dollars as well between the 1 year and 2 year contracts.
    05-11-09 10:24 PM
    Seems worth it especially since you can swap phones a year sooner. That's just my POV however.

05-11-09 10:30 PM
    You can switch every 10 months but your discount does have approx. $70 difference. When the Tour comes out, I'll sign a 2 year, but I can upgrade after 12 months so I'm not too worried.
    05-12-09 08:47 AM
    its $50 between 1 and 2
    05-12-09 09:29 AM
    I always wondered about that, figured that is why they would give an upgrade at 20 months.
    That's not for the phone, although any heavy user will be dying for a new one by then. It's so they can lock you up in a new contract before your current one expires. I mean think about it, they have 4 months (2 on a 1 year contract) with essentially no competition to sell you on a phone and/or a new plan before you can really look elsewhere. (Without paying for two phones or an ETF)
    05-12-09 09:37 AM
    The difference is an upgrade at ten months and A higher price for the device on one year contracts.

Two years get better discounts on devices and if you're on a high price plan an upgrade at twelve months or twenty month for everyone else

05-12-09 02:12 PM
    The difference is an upgrade at ten months and A higher price for the device on one year contracts.

Two years get better discounts on devices and if you're on a high price plan an upgrade at twelve months or twenty month for everyone else
    Even with a two-year, you can upgrade every year, or even every week (at retail). If you don't mind the commitment, you might as well go two. If you want to upgrade every year, you can & save a little coin.

05-12-09 06:42 PM
    That's what I said twin

05-12-09 06:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD