Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
10-06-11 05:09 PM
168 ... 567
tools
    I have a question regarding BES. I am a consumer, but want to make full use of my Blackberry as a PIM device, i.e. FULLY syncing mail (including flags, read status etc), contact, calendar, tasks.

To do this I need BES I understand. What I don't understand is what is the shortest and cheapest way to achieve this. My company has no Blackberry ICT structure.

1) I need BES data plan on my phone I learned. Why is that? I am now on BIS consumer data plan. To change to BES I need a commercial account from my mobile provider (Netherlands) which is twice as expensive!!!

2) I need hosted exchange with BES option. True? I have now hosted exchange from 1and1, but it doesn't offer BES functionality. As I see it there are offers from other providers starting from from 20$.

3) What I don't get at all is why I need BES data plan AND hosted exchange with BES. Can I not just communicate my 1and1 hosted exchange settings to my mobile phone provider and BES data plan? Or the other way around, use hosted exchange with BES option and fill in the details in "advanced options" "enterprise activation" on my blackberry? Why both?

I am confused :s I feel I am entering an area that consumers are not supposed to walk on. But I would like to get my BB fully functional so much (something you can do in an instance with Symbian or Windows Mobile phones which bring full exchange support).

Thank you all for your kind answers!
    06-22-10 02:29 PM
    Hey evryone I'm new to blackberry and I just activated bis

As I undrstand it if you have bis you only have to pay for the bis to browse all you want is this true and how do I get it to do that
    When I use the browser it still uses money am I doing something wrong??

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-09-10 07:16 AM
    I activated mines recently. Thanks!
    07-13-10 04:06 PM
    Hey Yall ). I know this is gonna sound stupid, but, I was wondering if yall know if there are any known fees associated with using the BIS website? The only reason I want to use the site is to take the "sent from my verizon wireless blackberry" signature off of all my "sent" emails Thanks in advance!
    10-06-10 10:39 PM
    There is no fee to use the BIS website from a PC. If you access it from your BlackBerry, you will use data. If you have an unlimited data plan, you won't see a charge for the use.
    10-07-10 06:07 AM
    Hi folks prod a silly Q about internet on blackberry
    Just buy a SIM and I have free BIS on PAYG Vodafone UK. BIS it`s free untill july 2011.
    I was wondering how much data allowance it had because I don’t`t have credit on my SIM card, but the internet and all the applications are going very well even if I don`t have WIFI acces. This with 0(zero ) pounds credit …
    forgot to mention that in my apn settings is something about my previous carrier (orange) when i used the internet without bis
    03-24-11 05:18 PM
    can i buy discount user CALs for my BES online and use them on my corporate server? i found a great deal on CALs at BESsource.com

anyone know where i might score some free CALs?
    please let me know.
    05-25-11 09:58 PM
    I have another question regarding BES... is there an option to remotely "kill" or wipe a device? a former employee still has the corporate device - no luck in getting it back so far.
    05-25-11 10:06 PM
    I have another question regarding BES... is there an option to remotely "kill" or wipe a device? a former employee still has the corporate device - no luck in getting it back so far.
    yes there is on bes.
    05-26-11 06:12 AM
    Good article!!!!! Thanks.
    05-26-11 07:29 AM
    yes there is on bes.
    can You tell me where or how i do this please? thanx
    05-30-11 11:55 PM
    On version 4, right click the device on the BES Manager and select Wipe Device.

On version 5, search for their name, click the PIN # in the account info and at the bottom select "Delete all data and remove device"
    06-23-11 05:51 PM
    An earlier post said, "If your internet is content blocked, then it will be blocked on a BES device also." What I want to do is get corporate e-mail via the enterprise's BES but still be able to browse the Internet through BIS. Can you do both on the same Blackberry? I am sorry if this is a basic question. I am about to get my first smart phone and am more interested in the Blackberry than the alternatives.

I would like to be on BES for corporate e-mail (Groupwise) with calendars and everything working. At the same time I would also like to use my Blackberry to stream audio or to briefly see the news or weather (not interested in video or I would not be considering BB). The company is okay with people listening to streaming audio on their personal devices as long as they are A., working and B., not using company infrastructure (wi-fi, etc.) while doing so. So can I get e-mail via BES while the browser is working via BIS at the same time? It is important if I can have BES and BIS co-exist for different things, if possible. I would be the only Blackberry user in my small department of a large organization.
    07-24-11 04:01 PM
    An earlier post said, "If your internet is content blocked, then it will be blocked on a BES device also." What I want to do is get corporate e-mail via the enterprise's BES but still be able to browse the Internet through BIS. Can you do both on the same Blackberry? I am sorry if this is a basic question. I am about to get my first smart phone and am more interested in the Blackberry than the alternatives.

I would like to be on BES for corporate e-mail (Groupwise) with calendars and everything working. At the same time I would also like to use my Blackberry to stream audio or to briefly see the news or weather (not interested in video or I would not be considering BB). The company is okay with people listening to streaming audio on their personal devices as long as they are A., working and B., not using company infrastructure (wi-fi, etc.) while doing so. So can I get e-mail via BES while the browser is working via BIS at the same time? It is important if I can have BES and BIS co-exist for different things, if possible. I would be the only Blackberry user in my small department of a large organization.
    Yes. If your company has the relatively permissive IT policy that it seems to have, you will have no trouble browsing and streaming -- it will be identical to the experience one would have with BIS alone.
    07-25-11 09:11 AM
    Thanks JasW. I want to undertsand what you said - sorry if I am dense. Well, our IT policy is not permissive in that if I were to be caught streaming audio using the company's infrastructure I could get fired. But people openly play music on their I-pods or stream audio using their smart phones (no one in this department has a Blackberry). I want to be sure I can use BES for corporate e-mail but at the same time use BIS for the Internet. That is, use the phone company and BIS to stream audio and this does not use my company's IT at all and at the same time I would be using BES and the company's IT for e-mail. I read somewhere that if you are on BES, your company's IT then controls all of your Internet, since your Internet connection would be through BES and your company, so I am confused.
    07-25-11 09:54 AM
    I can only speak from my own experience -- I am not restricted in browser use or streaming media even though I'm on BES. We have a web filter on our computer systems that blocks many, many sites on desktop computers. The filtering was also imposed on the BES server, and before I had the Torch and OS 6, I had to change the browser ID on my device from "BlackBerry Browser" to "Internet Browser" so it would bypass the filtering. Now the OS 6 browser apparently simply bypasses the BES server altogether.
    07-25-11 01:00 PM
    So, I'm probably being a little slow here. But to be fair, I only got my BB yesterday. Do I actually NEED a BIS? What is the advantage, what is it supposed to do that I can't just do otherwise?

Because regardless of what I do, I can't seem to Create a New Account regardless of what I try (on PC or BB).
    Last edited by TVObsessee; 10-06-11 at 11:50 AM.
    10-06-11 11:46 AM
    @TVObsessee,
    This is a very common question being asked over and over.

let's break them down....

BIS is Blackberry Internet Service(s): This will give you access to many applications that will only run on the network Internet connection rather than wifi. This includes your BBM, emails, web browser

BES: This is not for regular users like me. This is mostly for company level users. BES is a server based system. If you are in a company you can have push emails, also IT policies based on the BES settings.

For an average users, yes you need a BIS to get the full functionality out of your phone. Even core applications such as BBM will not work with out a BIS. BIS is the Internet connection specifically designed for Blackberries.

To fix JasW issue, you may need to contact your BES provider for this issue because I am sure there was an OS6/7 update for the BES server that must be loaded on the other end.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by mss-ca; 10-06-11 at 05:12 PM.
    10-06-11 05:09 PM
168 ... 567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD