03-30-12 11:30 AM
652 ... 2324252627
tools
    [QUOTE=jshuford;4695920]Well...On a Windows 7 system I found the folder at: [B]C:\Users\[name]\AppData\Local\Temp

THANKS FOR THIS! I was looking and searching all over my 7 Home Premium with no luck and BAM! It was there! Thanks!
    06-21-10 01:00 AM
    Question? i am using my BB storm for access internet for my laptop....No other online access. How does the updating using DeskTop Manager interfere with this tethering using storm?
    06-27-10 03:18 PM
    Hi All. New to the BB world and still trying to learn it all. I have a BB Bold 9700. I have v5.0.0.602 (Platform 5.1.0.112) on AT&T network. I believe i have .602 as a result of a previous update today. I have had this phone about 2 weeks and just now got everything set up the way I like it. I did the back up using DM and JL_CMDER. Saved the folder with my PIN as the name and was able to sucessfully locate it and all seems well. I think I would like to update to .1014. I checked for an update wirelessly using the BB and it now says no updates are available. However, I found .1014 on a thread here. Since I backed the BB up using DM and JL_CMDER, will all my settings go back to how they are now if I "wipe" or reset to factory settings? And if so, where do I download the newest OS to reinstall? Or would I even have to?

Thanks!

Jeremy
    06-28-10 12:56 AM
    May Dayum this is wonderful advice. We all needed this thread! Thanks so much!
    06-28-10 01:02 AM
    Great guide, thanks a lot. Worked perfect.
    08-10-10 12:04 PM
    Hi,

I performed the backup according to the steps but still can't restore. I found the files associated with my pin and the 3rd party apps are listed however, when I attempt to preform the restoration process I get the message "No additional apps designed for your device were found" I know they are on the computer but by God they aren't recognized....

What now?
    08-10-10 04:26 PM
    ok I copy/pasted the apps DM backed up for me, but now when I go to restore them, i dont see that .alx file with my pin..? so now I am stuck with just a bunch of folders containing ".cod.rem" files. How can I use these to get my apps back? thx!
    08-16-10 06:47 AM
    Hey Everyone,

I wonder if anything here changes, when dealing with Blackberry Desktop Manager v.6.0.0.40?
    08-22-10 05:52 AM
    Is it the .alx file that I need?
    08-22-10 08:36 AM
    I'm running Windows 7 Professional 64 bit. I've looked ALL OVER and can't find the back-up. LIKE ANYWHERE!
    08-26-10 03:15 AM
    How about for Desktop Manger v5.0?
    08-27-10 11:24 AM
    Hey Everyone,

I wonder if anything here changes, when dealing with Blackberry Desktop Manager v.6.0.0.40?
    I'm waiting for FedEx to bring a replacement and this is the first time I've used v.6.0.0.40. So far it looks the same. I did my normal backup and when that was finished, did the following:

-> Device drop down
    --> Switch Devices
    ---> Select phone
    ----> Check Third Party Applications (uncheck Device Data)
    -----> Next

I stopped at the point it wanted the new device and the file was where it has always been for me (WinXP):

C:\Documents and Settings\Name\Local Settings\Temp\"Pin Number"

How about for Desktop Manger v5.0?
    That's the only version I had used prior to today, and it always worked great.

Edited to add:

This thread should sooooo be a sticky!
    Last edited by sandra_17; 08-27-10 at 01:17 PM.
    08-27-10 01:15 PM
    I'm running Windows 7 Professional 64 bit. I've looked ALL OVER and can't find the back-up. LIKE ANYWHERE!
    My backup folder is gone too. It worked the first time I did a third party app backup with 6.0.0.40 but now it flashes something about jvm and never does anything.

My cell screen also goes white with a cell and computer icon when I hit cancel. I have to disconnect the USB cord to get it to come back. Must be a bug in the new DM.
    Last edited by hennesseystealth; 08-31-10 at 01:46 PM.
    08-31-10 01:29 PM
    How do you do this with windows 7 and desktop manager 6 ?
    09-19-10 01:54 AM
    just tried with DM6 and it acts like its going to start then errors out, device couldnt be backed up, yes i selected 3rd party apps only
    09-23-10 11:14 AM
    Well...On a Windows 7 system I found the folder at: C:\Users\[name]\AppData\Local\Temp

Thank you!
    Thank you, and Crucial Extreme for this thread!!!

This was probably said elsewhere but in case not, I didn't find the folder the first couple times because I had closed the program, then I realized (duh) that it was in a Temp folder that acted like one, so I copied it before closing and yay.

Thank you again -- I keep my life on this thing and I feel safer now.
    10-23-10 03:27 AM
    I apologize if these are dumb questions or covered elsewhere. I hope they are easy though to answer.

And FWIW I don't need to know why the answers are so; I'd just like simple steps.

I am in the habit of making a regular backup every day (I do a lot of calendar, notes, etc stuff) and a third party app backup when I've been adding or updating those (average once a week).

I gather from the instructions at the top of this thread that I should not backup my data with the 3rd party apps, so I'm not.

First question -- Do I assume correctly that an exception to my last paragraph would be if I was really switching devices? In that case, would leaving both boxes checked make for the best transfer?

Second question -- If I have an unfortunate incident and need to restore everything from backups, would I first follow the instructions to restore the 3rd party apps, then do a regular restore of my data like the software offers, or the other way around, or something else?

I just like to be prepared, and so I thank you very much! The support here has really been phenomenal and I am most appreciative.
    Last edited by mrskittens; 11-19-10 at 01:24 PM. Reason: clarity.
    11-18-10 03:06 AM
    great info. thanks
    11-19-10 09:56 AM
    I gather from the instructions at the top of this thread that I should not backup my data with the 3rd party apps, so I'm not.

First question -- Do I assume correctly that an exception to my last paragraph would be if I was really switching devices? In that case, would leaving both boxes checked make for the best transfer?

Second question -- If I have an unfortunate incident and need to restore everything from backups, would I first follow the instructions to restore the 3rd party apps, then do a regular restore of my data like the software offers, or the other way around, or something else?

I just like to be prepared, and so I thank you very much! The support here has really been phenomenal and I am most appreciative.
    Still not quite sure of this so I made the third party app backup twice, one with data and one without, and temporarily renamed the backup folders accordingly.

I notice, though, that both folders have the same exact size and number of files. I think I have a lot of data and therefore wonder why the backup with data isn't larger. I am absolutely certain I did the backups differently.

Perhaps I'm overthinking this but better safe than sorry...I would want a restore to be as smooth as possible. Thanks in advance for any further advice.
    11-21-10 05:53 AM
    Still not quite sure of this so I made the third party app backup twice, one with data and one without, and temporarily renamed the backup folders accordingly.

I notice, though, that both folders have the same exact size and number of files. I think I have a lot of data and therefore wonder why the backup with data isn't larger. I am absolutely certain I did the backups differently.

Perhaps I'm overthinking this but better safe than sorry...I would want a restore to be as smooth as possible. Thanks in advance for any further advice.
    I'm thinking that your app BU will be found in one place, while your data BU will be in another. Your app BU should be a folder containing nothing but COD files and one ALX file, while your data BU should be an IPD file. The mentioned IPD file can most probably be found in your 'My Documents'; although, it really belongs in the Temp folder. I'd recommend doing a system search for IPD files, and after you locate all the IPD files on your computer, check their properties for the date that it was created. I have a very strong felling that DM creates two different / separate files for the one BU. Remember... DM is not backing-up for you to maintain or restore from the file - it thinks it's switching devices for you. Everything it does is supposed to be behind-the-scenes and unbeknownst to you.

Don't really know what I'm talking about - just thinking out loud.
    mrskittens likes this.
    11-22-10 11:16 PM
    RegE, that makes perfect sense, the idea that the data would temporarily be somewhere else until switching to a new device. If so, i guess that for backing up 3rd party apps it doesn't really matter whether one does it with or without data. Cool.

The only question that remains for me (and I would think, for others, but maybe I'm missing something else?) is, if one has to start over with a new device, at what point does one use the 3rd party backup folder? For that matter, how is it done? The software has an obvious selection to restore data. How does one restore 3rd party apps (other than re-downloading them, which kinda defeats the purpose of backing them up, no?) And again, is it done before or after the data is restored?

Thanks again from the easily confused mrskittens
    11-23-10 03:00 AM
    ...The only question that remains for me (and I would think, for others, but maybe I'm missing something else?) is, if one has to start over with a new device, at what point does one use the 3rd party backup folder? For that matter, how is it done? The software has an obvious selection to restore data. How does one restore 3rd party apps (other than re-downloading them, which kinda defeats the purpose of backing them up, no?) And again, is it done before or after the data is restored?
    Last year I experienced a fatal catastrophic failure of my device. I dug out my old Tour [which I keep as a back-up device] and updated the OS. Then, I opened the app BU folder and installed the ALX file (the ALX file is the catalyst by which the CODs are installed. The CODs are your apps). After installing the apps, I restored the data from my most recent IPD file. Upon conclusion, my Tour was a spitting image of my Bold.

If you ever have a need to restore your device, after you perform the above mentioned steps, all you'll need to do at most is possibly reset the permissions and/or activation keys for certain apps. At most, all you'll lose is about an hour of your time.

The only caveat to my sharing the above experience is that my memory won't allow me to recall the specifics of how I reloaded the ALX file. I'm not sure if I utilized DM or the App Loader Utility. However, I do recall gleaning the information from the CB forums.

Anyway, to answer your question of which to perform first - I think restoring apps first is the most prudent thing to do. Some apps are not 'standalone' and have, shall we say, tentacles. For example, I have a Diary app. The Diary stores all it's entries in an RMS database, which is retained in the IPD file. If you restore the IPD (data) first, it won't know what to do with the Diary database if there is no Diary app to link it to. I haven't experimented with reversing the procedure, but I imagine that DM will either generate an error message, if not seize and fail to complete the restoration process. DM is very finicky - if everything isn't 'just right', it'll fail and won't even have the common courtesy to tell you why (lol).
    mrskittens likes this.
    11-23-10 11:52 AM
    Hi guys,A lot of thanks for your necessary information.
    11-23-10 01:10 PM
    Thank you so very much, RegE! The info you provided makes perfect sense to me and it is such a relief to feel as confident as once can about a failure.

I sure do depend on this thing!!!

Hi guys,A lot of thanks for your necessary information.
    My thoughts exactly. To stray OT for a moment, I've always been able to find answers in this forum, and this thread is a great example.
    11-23-10 06:23 PM
    hi,

I am using the latest Blackberry Desktop Software 6.0.0.43
    And 9700/5.0.0.979

I am using the Switch Device Wizard to back-up my apps, but when I start the wizard, select my device and then check whichever option (whether I want to back-up 3rd party apps or all data on the device).. And then I select next, then the Desktop Manager will not recognize the 9700, stating that "Could not backup the selected device".. :|

Anyone can help ?
    11-24-10 09:58 PM
652 ... 2324252627
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD