"Not the Trackball Again...."
    For an easy experience, follow every step in this tutorial very closely and carefully.

Disclaimer: This tutorial is only to help and assist the modifications made to your device. Any loss of warranty, any damage, and any outcome will be your responsibility. Modifications attempted on your mobile device are done at your own risk.

As I have seen countless times, and experienced first hand as well, GSM4WORLD and other NON OEM 8300, 8310, 8320, and 8330 curve trackballs seem to have a tendency to have repetitive issues. One that seems quite popular amongst the BLACK and COLORED trackballs is the reversed movement trackball or better known as the "CRAZY TRACKBALL", whereby the trackball starts moving left when you roll right and vice versa, and up when you roll down and vice versa. It turns out upon opening the trackball assembly, that the rollers have been installed in reverse direction, meaning everything was placed in backwards. Here is a quick step by step tutorial with pictures to solve this issue.

GSM4WORLD has posted up a "solution video" for the unresponsive trackballs that they sell. In the video, it shows a man simply jiggling the rollers around claiming the rollers need to be "adjusted". Believe me, this is a ridiculous excuse for their crap rollers. If you have an OEM RIM trackball sitting around, follow the steps below to take it apart and insert the rollers from it into the new trackball. This is the real way to "adjust" the crap GSM4WORLD rollers.

ANY COMMENTS AND/OR CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM IS APPRECIATED!

Here is another tutorial I've made on changing housings, it may come in handy:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/hou...change-201687/

Lastly, I just want to say sorry in advance for my dirty rollers in the pictures below, haha they have been cleaned. Also, sorry about the low quality pictures, they were taken in a hurry and in the dark so a lot of editing had to be done to get them to this point.

---------------This tutorial officially begins here, read EVERY step VERY CAREFULLY ---------------

BEFORE YOU DO ANYHING AT ALL!!
    BE REMINDED THAT THE METAL CAGE (INDICATED IN THE IMAGES BELOW) IS EXTREMELY DELICATE! DO NOT APPLY AT ALL TOO MUCH PRESSURE ON IT AS ANY WARP OR BEND MAY HAVE MUCH POTENTIAL TO CAUSE UNNECESSARY COMPLICATIONS. AGAIN! BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL AND GENTLE WHEN DEALING WITH THE METAL CAGE!

STEP 1:
    Look at your trackball and locate the metal cage, and the clips on the metal cage that hold on to the little nipples on the white piece of the assembly.

STEP 2:
    - Now turn your trackball assembly upside down so that the trackball is now facing and sitting on the surface that you are working on. This will prevent your rollers to fall out as soon as you open up the assembly.
    - The metal cage on the assembly must be removed. To do so, (while the trackball assembly is still upside down) gently and slowly lift the clips on the metal cage applying as little pressure as you can to get the clips off of the nipples, making sure NOT TO BEND OR WARP the metal cage. The metal cage should just pop off with little pressure needed.

Just for all you CB users' sake, I've bent out the mental cage (in the picture below) to the minimal amount to displays how little of a bend/warp the metal cage can take before it doesn't fit back on the assembly. Although there is a possibility to bend it back to fit, on most occasions bending it back will not work so be extra cautious NOT TO APPLY A GREAT DEAL OF PRESSURE ON THE FRAGILE METAL CAGE.

Step 3:
    Follow the picture below and place your rollers in the exact same position seen in the image below.

Bonus tip: Just follow this rule of thumb when you put the rollers in, make sure that the bottom roller's black magnetic tip is always pointing to the LEFT. Or the top roller's magnetic tip is always pointing RIGHT.

Note: If you have an OEM trackball sitting around by any chance, you may want to follow the steps above to disassemble it and use the rollers that come with it on your new trackball. The NON OEM rollers are terribly unresponsive.

Step 4:
    Reassemble your trackball now making sure the little metal tab on the bottom compartment is pointing towards the inside of the trackball assembly.

To reassemble, CLOSELY follow the image below. You can't just randomly put the pieces back together, look very carefully at the picture to know exactly how the positioning of pieces are. Then pop the parts back together. You may need to gently, again GENTLY, lift the little tabs/clips on the metal cage to put it back on.

Last edited by vtsang; 04-09-09 at 11:41 AM.
    04-09-09 12:07 AM
    good deal! now i wont be so afraid if i have to do it!
    04-09-09 12:21 AM
    Nice job once agin my friend!!!!
    04-09-09 12:24 AM
    thanks for the tut, will go in my records
    04-10-09 12:37 AM
    you needa clean them rollers lolzzz
    04-10-09 01:37 AM
    you needa clean them rollers lolzzz
    Learn to read...

"Lastly, I just want to say sorry in advance for my dirty rollers in the pictures below, haha they have been cleaned."
    04-10-09 02:24 AM
    lol its ok, I knew i should've cleaned them out before I took the pictures.
    04-10-09 10:16 AM
    hah it got moved to the faq congrats
    04-11-09 04:01 PM
    Thanks for posting this Vtsang.

I bought the same black kit that you did from gsm4world, including the black trackball. I was wondering though, when you received your trackball from gsm4world, the rollers were in the opposite positions than those in your pics?

The rollers and the overall composition of my trackball is exactly the same as the OEM trackball and the one you have (post fix). I've installed it and there is no "crazy trackball" effect but it seems that the trackball is a little bit unresponsive. Mostly the trackball seems to have lost a bit of horizontal and vertical sensitivity. When I increase both sensitivities it seems to work alright so far. Judging by your info if I installed the OEM rollers my trackball should fix the issue?

Thanks!
    06-18-09 01:51 PM
    just got a black trackball and it was eh
    took my OEM and new trackball apart. Sharpied my OEM trackball housing ring black, ad put the black trackball in. Now I have an OEM black trackball. Now I'm just waiting for my 8330 housing
    thanks
    06-18-09 04:22 PM
    very useful tutorial!! just done it to my yellow trackball, the original rollers work just fine, had a bit of trouble with the metal cage, but luckily the oem cage worked as a replacement... other than that my trackball is rolling smooth!!! thanks for this tutorial!! keep it up with this great site!!
    09-12-09 02:08 AM
    it was a ***** =(
    10-06-09 03:09 AM
    Thanks for the help!
    10-12-09 02:14 AM
    Thanks, I thought I was going to have to give up my new black trackball. A simple rebuild and I'm up and running again!
    10-13-09 07:03 PM
    best tutorial i was able to find on the web for specifics of the reassembly of the trackball assembly. thanks.
    10-16-09 12:53 AM
    I'm sorry about going a bit off subject but if you don't mind can you PM and and let me know where you got these? I've been looking for them for a saloon logo i'm working on.

BTW... Great tutorial and if I ever have to do this I'll keep this in mind.

Thanks for a great article.

Later,
    Jamey
    10-16-09 11:37 PM
    Another option would be to remove the newly purchased track ball and place it on the old trackball housing right? Being that the old housing is still fully functional.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-19-09 02:11 AM
    Just a warning to all. When the track ball mechanism is disasembled,there will be four rods with a tubular magnet at each tip. These rods help log the movement of the ball it self onto the bb. Be carefull becouse the way the rods are set up the magnets which are attached to them deflect the other magnets so if you push or move one rod a tad bit to much the other will pop out of place. As of now my track ball is a little awkward I guess ,it logs movement correctly but it seems a little stiff and slugish at times. My next step would be to probally use the new color track ball it's self and place it on the old track ball housing which had nothing wrong with it ,I just did't like the color. I'm going to give this track ball sometime though just to see if it needs a little breaking in.

12-19-09 03:15 PM
    Hi all,

I'm sorry I haven't had the opportunity to come to this forum to check up on things for a long time since posting this thread. It's nice to see people in the community helping each other though! I'm privileged be of such help to you guys. For those who have asked questions that I haven't been able to get back to, I do apologize. Anyhow I hope everything is going well with your blackberrys and thanks for all the comments!

PS. jj97blazer if you're still interested, I actually made those on photoshop with a brush. I don't recall the specific name of the brush though but you could try searching up tattoo brushes. Sorry if this isn't much help or if my response is too late.
    01-18-10 04:32 PM
    i tried this. even put the non oem ball itself into the oem trackball housing and it still sucks lol. i wish i knew why! i think the ball may be smaller or something. i'm not sure what it is...
    04-13-10 06:00 PM
    I tried possibly every thing I could my self. I transferred part from one track ball mechanism to the other and vice a versa. No luck at all. I just kept the original track ball and mechanism as is from factory and its still perfect till this day. The only thing I think would work just as well if you want to change track balls is getting a black one from a bold. And I would go about that by getting it from an official dealer that sells bolds. Like verizon ,att,tmoble etc...

04-13-10 09:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD