07-27-10 04:57 PM
79 123 ...
tools
    Here is the link to my tutorial on how to take apart the Tour and replace / fix the trackball issue many have been having.

cero

At any rate thanks for the comments, and let me know if you need to know how to do anything.

Any questions feel free to ask here, or just email me at energiekleiner@live.com

I do not always respond to comments right away since I am at work (don't really have access) and I don't check this email till I get home.

*edit*
    here is a link to the video page of the site click me!!!
    Last edited by sommacero; 11-09-09 at 11:24 PM. Reason: adding link for vid
    09-03-09 03:46 AM
    Interesting read, your take apart for the trackball was waaay simpler than the ones shown so far.
    09-03-09 09:50 AM
    I was wondering about this today, Has anybody taken apart a "broken" tour and the new "green dot" or NIB new Rev model and see what RIM actually did to address the few issues some have?
    09-03-09 10:11 AM
    hmm so a simple business card as a shim fixes the trackball?! who would of thought....

now for others to try and report back.
    09-03-09 12:02 PM
    Interesting read, your take apart for the trackball was waaay simpler than the ones shown so far.
    Thanks, I am a phone tech for a living. I tried to make it easy instead on overly technical. It has worked for me many times, but I would love to see if someone else can do it using my method. So far I havent seen anyone else come up with doing this. Only reason I came up with the idea was that I was tired of swapping out trackballs and only having some work, on a hunch something as dumb as a business card fixed it, weird.
    09-03-09 12:45 PM
    May I ask what is it about new or curve replacement trackballs that remedy the problem that the business card trick does?

Is the OEM Tour trackball "off" where the curve ones fractionally larger bodies?
    09-03-09 12:51 PM
    It is too bad that RIM took a proven design that worked (8830, curve, bold, etc) and moved the trackball module internally and in doing so created new problems. They probably wanted a sleeker look but have made it hard to replace and clean the mechanism but faulty also.
    09-03-09 02:12 PM
    worked like a charm, BE CAREFUL with the plastic cover..it's a pita, but just ease it out, beware when it snaps out, it will pop, be careful not to overly apply pressure...(Front cover im referencing)
    09-03-09 03:02 PM
    also on a side note, completely firms up the talk, bb, and back/end buttons on the front. Very nice fix.
    09-03-09 03:05 PM
    found another method if none of ya have hear of it yet but confirmed it yesterday for the most part...pop up the casing for the back button/menu button and the ball pops right out...switch it with a curbe trackball and no issues actually moves better I must say....but warning....you must be really gentle when popping open the that plastic casing as it is one piece and subject to snap easily...
    09-03-09 03:21 PM
    ITZZ: Please show how to do this or what you are talking about.
    09-03-09 03:35 PM
    I have a question, the warranty sticker is it the little whit sticker on the top left screw, if so can it be replaced with something else or does it. Have like a special indicator that shows if it was removed?..... ? I know it can't be that easy

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-03-09 04:45 PM
    You can remove the white sticker with a safety pin. When your done put the sticker back on. Job done.
    09-03-09 04:53 PM
    thanks a ton. i hate how cheap the trackballs r. they break way too easy
    09-03-09 05:29 PM
    Please explain how to pop the front keys off. A video would be god-send

09-03-09 06:27 PM
    found another method if none of ya have hear of it yet but confirmed it yesterday for the most part...pop up the casing for the back button/menu button and the ball pops right out...switch it with a curbe trackball and no issues actually moves better I must say....but warning....you must be really gentle when popping open the that plastic casing as it is one piece and subject to snap easily...
    That is a very easy way to break your phone. The keys are held in by the chrome ring, which is held in by the 6 screws. Prying it out and putting it back in just right is almost impossible for 99% of people.
    09-03-09 07:13 PM
    I have a question, the warranty sticker is it the little whit sticker on the top left screw, if so can it be replaced with something else or does it. Have like a special indicator that shows if it was removed?..... ? I know it can't be that easy

The white sticker is a liquid damage indicator, we just look at it to see if it is white, so any sticker will work.

Doing this tutorial, you will have to replace your warranty indicator on the top right screw on the back. Blackberry might look at these, but if you bring it into a repair they will probably reject it if it's missing or broken. This is not a special sticker either, just any white sticker cut to fit should do the trick.
    09-03-09 07:48 PM
    I call BS on he "pop the keyboard" statement, I looked at several videos and I do not think it is possible. If you want to change the trackball you have to disassemble.
    09-04-09 08:40 AM
    This is not possible. All the keys are one piece; you cannot pop out the back/menu keys. You can see the keyboard piece at the following link:

BlackBerry Tour 9630 OEM QWERTY keyboard - Cellular Nationwide Network - Cellular Accessories - 3G,
    Last edited by Dsmithjr; 09-04-09 at 02:27 PM.
    09-04-09 01:25 PM
    I don't think its bs. The keyboard is one piece but the keys on top are seperate. We can't conclude anything from picture in link.

09-04-09 04:40 PM
    I don't think its bs. The keyboard is one piece but the keys on top are seperate. We can't conclude anything from picture in link.

If you're so sure about that, then why don't you try prying off the keys and let us know what happens? :P jk

Until izzhefty shows us how to do it, I'm agreeing with sommacero, ericbee, dsmithjr on this one.
    09-04-09 04:43 PM
    I'm gonna order a keyboard to test it out. That way I don't risk breaking mine

09-04-09 04:46 PM
    I'm gonna order a keyboard to test it out. That way I don't risk breaking mine
    You know if you do this you're required to post pictures...
    09-04-09 04:48 PM
    You know if you do this you're required to post pictures...
    Yeah man, please post your findings when your extra keyboard comes in.
    09-04-09 04:53 PM
    k well I tore my phone apart and inserted the business card under the trackball area as noted. I used to have to "feather" my ball a bit. It worked fine, but I could feel a big distance when i lightly pressed on it.

Well now it feels more like a Bold or new Curve, or even a Bold with a G1 ball swapped out. It really did make a difference! I am shocked!

And no I didn't take pics, I really don't feel the need to prove I did exactly what someone already showed me in pics lol.
    09-04-09 08:29 PM
79 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD