06-29-11 04:58 PM
36 12
tools
    Hey, can anyone provide better/more detailed instructions on how to do the straw method? My trackball has been a pain and I've been attempting the straw method with no results. Thanks
    12-05-10 05:46 PM
    I've had no luck with the straw either. I couldn't get it to go in the area where the trackball sits. Any help would be appreciated. I've almost given up and Verizpn says I'm out of warranty so they won't send me a replacement. I can only go up and down not side to side at all. HELP!!
    12-05-10 08:38 PM
    What I do is take an LCD monitor wipe, let it sit out and dry for a few seconds to the point where it doesn't drip after a mild squeeze, turn my phone upside down, and then rub the wipe over the ball. This way the little bit of liquid on the wipe doesn't get inside the phone.
    Very east to do, very safe. I read the above post and decided that it was the safest way to try (1st time I had to clean the ball and I'm afraid of moisture in the phone). Didn't have a moistened wipe, but I did have LCD cleaner and lint free wipes. Two quick sprays on the wipe (no waiting for it to dry out) and about 10 thorough rotations of the trackball while holding the phone upside down and it's like brand new. THANKS AGAIN FOR THE GREAT TIP
    12-08-10 06:19 PM
    The straw method work!!!! I was about to try and tear the whole thing apart when I read about using a straw. THANK YOU!!!!
    12-27-10 09:59 PM
    I tried the straw method but could never get it to go under the ball. It was to thick. I used to just wipe with a small amount of alcohol. I finally gave up since it's my work phone and I got a Bold for myself. The ball is stuck and I just use it for phone calls only.
    12-27-10 11:27 PM
    I tried the cleaning with a straw method did dislodge some dust and crap in there, however the real method for curing this issue is to strip it down.

A quick visit to youtube revealed a couple of semi amusing videos by some chap who firstly shows the stripdown and seconding the rebuild.

It is slightly fiddly, but desite having big fat hands I did manage to disassenble, clean and reassumble and now have a working blackberry.

Tools needed are the star screwdriver to take out the 8 bolts that hold the blackberry together and a small flat bladed screwdriver to prize open the housing around the roller ball.

Take care not to loose any of the 4 magnetic rollers as they are very small and easy to loose on the floor as I did.
    04-20-11 08:53 AM
    Hi everyone
    I have a huge problem. I have 8820 and when i press the trackball it shows a plus sign or ou, 0 gives me L and all this is when im trying to dial a number it driving me crazy. can some one help me plz
    05-21-11 04:01 AM
    I happened to be by a Verizon store with someone looking at phones and mentioned the ball being a bit sticky. They asked to look at it, took it out back, and a minute later handed me back to phone with a new shiny trackball. I asked how much and they said it was a free service, so no charge.
    05-24-11 11:49 AM
    yeah i know they sell used ones or even different color ones online for cheap.
    06-10-11 06:45 PM
    I trimmed a drinking straw so there was a 1/4" "finger" at the end. That fit down inside very well and got the gunk out.

Here's to hoping for the fancy optical pad soon!
    Sorry buddy I'm a noob :/, everyones saying this is brilliant and I don't really know what you mean by it, could you explain it in more detail or explain what you meant please?
    Sorry about my newbness

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-28-11 05:51 PM
    A good way to clean the trackball is to rub some rubbing alcohol on the ball with your finger. DO NOT use a q-tip. It's a good idea to do this often. If it's not moving at all, use a can of compressed air and shoot a couple of shots into the assembly. Becareful and don't put the air too close, it may do some damage.

If you plan on taking the trackball assembly apart, you may want to purchase a backup first. They are a #$%! to put back together. (at least mine was)
    I would make sure the phone is turned off before you use the rubbing alchol
    06-29-11 04:58 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD