I am going to post this again as there seems to be some questions on replacing Tours and backups etc...if any mod sees fit to sticky fine. I personally believe this is a little more important than what my Tour screen looks like or the pics I have taken with my tour. But who am I to judge? I thought this place was a place to help but I am starting to figure it out.

Okay here is a guide for swapping BB or replacing one...since so many Tours are getting swapped so I figured I would do a quick write up. If I miss anything sorry. I am a VZW customer your mileage may vary.
    Upon receiving the new device do the following.

Plug both devices into the PC and Use Device Switch Wizard. If you only have one cable take you current bb and do the following:
    1. Backup all of your Data
    2. Use the device switch wizard and do the following: http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/upda...-53201/Updated Thanks Crucial Extreme for the write up.

Now take the new BB and put the battery in. If you have to take your old battery no problem because we need to shut off the Old one now anyway. Good time to switch SD Cards.

Dial *228 and use option 3 (VZW) Customers only. Other carriers call CS. Sorry I am a VZW guy.

When your new phone is activated go to option adv options host routing table bb menu key register now.

Login to the BIS and MAKE SURE you do a switch device. (change your pin and esn) once you get a confirmation that the change was successful click on service books and resend them.
    Wait a minute or two and your NEW BB should be rocking right along.
    IF not do a battery pull.

Plugin the new BB to the pc and restore all of your data. Contacts, Calendar etc....

As far as 3rd party apps that need reg codes login to your appropriate acct. Mobihand, Crackberry, app store etc....and request a new code based on the new pin.

Once all is set refire the Old BB and do a device wipe. Options Security Options BB menu Wipe Handheld type in "blackberry" and let the device wipe itself out.

Hope I didn't miss anything.

Good luck and Happy BB'ing
    Last edited by spaciorek; 09-27-09 at 06:43 PM.
    09-27-09 06:36 PM
    Great post! Thank you.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-27-09 06:39 PM
    Thx Chrisy I hope someone uses it.......
    09-27-09 06:42 PM
    Well, i'll be sure to link folks to it! i changed the title to make it general and moved to How To section.

09-27-09 06:47 PM
    Once again great post... Hope peeps use it... Great description...

09-27-09 07:00 PM
    thanks dude
    09-27-09 11:02 PM
    Thanks!! Awesome!!
    10-06-09 08:36 AM
    will help me upgrade my device,nice info.
    11-30-09 12:27 PM
    this is extremely useful! thank you
    12-16-09 07:45 PM
    Great info. Just one question -- would you do anything differently if you are moving between versions of the BB OS? I'm migrating from an 8830WE (OS 4.5) to a Tour (OS 4.7).
    01-19-10 02:34 PM
    I just switched Tours (for the fourth time) using Desktop Manager's Switch Device tool. I had upgraded to .419 and when I did the switch I had to reup to .419 again which was no surprise. After it was all said and done (the switch and the reup) all my apps had switched over and settings went back to the way my old phone had set up with two exceptions... one was expected; I had to of course do a pin switch on a few apps. The second and more annoying is BBM. I had to reinstall that which was no surprise, however unlike my past upgrades/switches my contacts didn't carry over. I'm going to try reinstalling BBM once more THIS time while crossing my fingers and holding my breath. I think that might make the difference.

If I were to do something different I would have made sure that my contacts were backed up on my memory card and not on my device. I don't usually save anything to my device but I may have slipped.

Nope, that didn't work. Now I'm in a race with my memory to re-add everyone before I forget who I had in there...
    01-19-10 06:12 PM
    I just switched Tours (for the fourth time) using Desktop Manager's Switch Device tool. I had upgraded to .419 and when I did the switch I had to reup to .419 again which was no surprise. After it was all said and done (the switch and the reup) all my apps had switched over and settings went back to the way my old phone had set up with two exceptions... one was expected; I had to of course do a pin switch on a few apps. The second and more annoying is BBM. I had to reinstall that which was no surprise, however unlike my past upgrades/switches my contacts didn't carry over. I'm going to try reinstalling BBM once more THIS time while crossing my fingers and holding my breath. I think that might make the difference.

If I were to do something different I would have made sure that my contacts were backed up on my memory card and not on my device. I don't usually save anything to my device but I may have slipped.

Nope, that didn't work. Now I'm in a race with my memory to re-add everyone before I forget who I had in there...
    did you create a backup file by chance? or did you set it to backup on ur sd card? or a remote backup? any of these will allow you to restore your contacts. let me know if you need more detailed help, i just had a similar problem and was able to fix it this way.
    01-19-10 10:02 PM
    I did create a backup file as well (I actually back it up almost monthly) but for some reason it would only restore the Groups... It could be an issue with the new BBM or with .416. I've done it in the past with no issues.
    01-20-10 10:35 AM
    How do I restore my pictures from my old blackberry?
    02-03-10 02:37 AM
    did you create a backup file by chance? or did you set it to backup on ur sd card? or a remote backup? any of these will allow you to restore your contacts. let me know if you need more detailed help, i just had a similar problem and was able to fix it this way.
    Something similar happened to me. I did the device transfer and could not find the BBMessenger anywhere. It looked like it was there, cause when I tried to reinstall it, it told me I would be replacing it. But since I could not see it anywhere (and it was not hidden) I simply redownloaded it. It recovered my contacts and groups just fine.

What I lost is my message history, even though it should be in my media card (which is what I had the option set to). So, how do I force this new BBM to accept/reload my history?
    02-09-10 11:56 AM
    You know I tried this and what happened was my formatting on my Tour got all messed up. I was xfrng from my Storm to a Tour and the contacts xfr'd but my formatting on screen looked like a Storm. I went ahead and cleared the phone out with JLCommander and reloaded OS. I just want to xfr my Contacts since I will be using my SD card from my storm. Any suggestions as to why this happened? What did I do wrong?
    02-24-10 09:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD