Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
06-02-11 06:06 AM
256 12345 ...
tools
    All I want to a sound when I get mail. How do I do that?
    dude... piece of cake,

if you're not hearing anything when an email comes in you may have a profile selected that is silent or off. humor me and do the following...

1 from home screen
    2 select profile icon

what is hilited? there's a lot of options here and they're all pretty self-explanatory, pick something that sound noisy... like "normal" or "loud". Click on it and problem solved. However, if you want to jazz it up and personalize it a bit go back to step 1 above and start again.

3 scroll down to "advanced"
    4 press trackball
    5 press menu (the little button to the left of the trackball)
    6 scroll to "edit" - select
    7 scroll to "messages [name.name@whatever.com] (the email you want to make a sound for) - select

Select what mode you want to create the sound for ... "out of holster" (not in standby) or in holster (in standby). By the way, "holster" in this sense means putting the berry in a pouch, holder, clip, etc, that has a magnet that senses the berry is cradled and put it to sleep- PS: you can put berry to sleep by just pressing and holding ther mute button on the very top and then wake it up by pressing again if you're the type that doesn't use holster (me) and don't want buttons pushed when in your pocket, but also don't want to mess around with keyguard passwords-- I digress, sorry

once you're in the "in" or "out" of holster section....

1 to the right of "out of holster you'll see something hilited, my guess is that since you're not hearing anything when you get an email is that this is on "none" -- if so, click it and scroll to either "tone" or "vibrate + tone" (self explanatory, I prefer vibrate and tone, to give me a chance to wake it up and see message before I annoy everyone around me with a tone, but then make noise in case I didn't feel it vibrate if you want it to make noise and vibrate at the same time, doa forum search for "vibrate and tone")
    2 scroll to ring tone line, the area to the right of "ring tone" will be hilited, that's the tone that will now sound - click it and a list of all of your ring tones will appear. scoll around, note: if you pause on one it plays a sample.

Note: if you just want a "sound" (taking you literally here) select the ringtones called "notifier" they're shorter and less "ringy" - I like notifier-sonar personally

once the tone you want is selected...
    1 press menu
    2 scroll to save, select
    3 menu, close
    4 menu, close
    5 wait for an email to make sure you did it right
    6 cuss me out when an email does come and nothin' happens (joking) this should work perfectly, if it doesn't -- post it here, we'll help.
    09-12-08 06:27 PM
    First, create a new Profile, call it whatever you want. In that Profile, set the tone for SMS, mail, phone, etc, etc., that you want for that contact to notify you...

Next, go to profiles, scroll down to advanced, and press Menu / New Exception...

Call the the exception whatever you want, I'd pick the same thing as the profile you just created. In the FROM field, click Menu to Add Name, then select said contact from your address book...

Next, under "Use Profile" you will click to change that option to the profile named whatever you called your profile. Add the custom phone tune you want the said contact to have and make sure you enable that exception with the checkmark in the box.

You're done! When said person calls, sends a text etc, you'll know by said tone...
    Ps: I did not write this, well, I editied a few things, I found it online, but it works...
    Hello I'm new here and to my bb pearl 8310 I have had it for while now and I'm wanted to learn everything I can so I can use it to the fullest which I am doing love the phone. But I must be dumb where do I find the whole profile thing?
    09-13-08 01:46 AM
    i must be a dummy. i cant get it to work. i am trying to specialize the ssm to make personal sound and cant get it to do that. have tried following this but must be a ding dong!!
    09-13-08 08:38 AM
    Hello I'm new here and to my bb pearl 8310 I have had it for while now and I'm wanted to learn everything I can so I can use it to the fullest which I am doing love the phone. But I must be dumb where do I find the whole profile thing?
    Should be an icon on home screen...

Ok.... Don't know the specifics of pearl, but I think some things are standard on all bb's. You should have an icon on your home screen. Make sure none of your icons are "hidden". While on the home screen, press the menu button - the button to the left of the trackball. Scroll to the option "show all", press trackball. If that option isn't there then good, that means there are no hidden icons. Now, look for an icon labeled "profiles". Each theme displays the icons differently, so I have no idea what yours looks like - just scroll to each one in order and the name of the icon is displayed on screen.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-13-08 01:02 PM
    Thanks figured it out, where to look it was under my ringer thing duh! I did not know that I could do that wow so easy thanks I like that way cool
    09-13-08 11:01 PM
    So the final answer here seems to be you can create an exception, which I did and it works, however that exception cannot be for a specific selected profile, it is for the Active profile.
    The only way then to turn it of when you switch to vibrate would be to switch to vibrate and un-check the exception.
    It's too bad as this really is not a usable solution for most people. Even my razor had the ability to easily assign a ring tone to each contact globally or for a specific profile.
    Hopefully someday RIM will come out with a update to fix this, until then it's not a viable option for someone in a work environment.
    09-14-08 08:05 PM
    So the final answer here seems to be you can create an exception, which I did and it works, however that exception cannot be for a specific selected profile, it is for the Active profile.
    The only way then to turn it of when you switch to vibrate would be to switch to vibrate and un-check the exception.
    It's too bad as this really is not a usable solution for most people. Even my razor had the ability to easily assign a ring tone to each contact globally or for a specific profile.
    Hopefully someday RIM will come out with a update to fix this, until then it's not a viable option for someone in a work environment.
    Perhaps you're not understanding the purpose of exceptions and seperate profiles.... Unless I'm misunderstanding your dissatisfactions... it sounds like you're talking about PHONE callls.

The BB does have virtually unlimited funcionality for creating personlization for specific tone effects per contact --However, it is NOT easy to switch profiles to effect ALL forms of contact and all addresses universally. But turning off the ringer if you haven't set up exceptions takes about 2 seconds and 2 clicks. It sounds like you're trying to have a specific ring tone (just phone) per contact and then quickly make your phone go vibrate or silent.... what we were discussing here was to have a specific tone for SMS, Email, MMS, that is specific PER ADDRESS BOOK ENTRY - in order to do that, then yes, the berry is limited in ease of use / practicality.

However, don't overthink this.... if all you want to do is have different contacts ring different when they CALL you (phone only) and then turn ALL ringers to vibrate or quiet -- then just add a custom ring tone in address book and use "profile" to effect ALL incoming messages / calls that are not listed as a profile specifc exception.

Clear as mud???
    09-15-08 01:00 AM
    I just purchased a BB 8330. I have installed the desktop app. I can't find how to install a new ringtone onto my BB? The help file on the desktop app didn't help?

Would appreciate any help.

Thanks - leafswallow
    09-15-08 11:18 AM
    sweet ty for the info ive tried for literal 2 hours to set my msg sound different from what it came with
    09-20-08 02:37 PM
    I saw in an earlier post someone else had this problem as well..... When using an exception all seems to work fine. However the custom ring tone set up for the exception's SMS seems to attach itself to ALL SMS. Which is wierd because emails, phone calls and everything else works perfect, but specifically SMS - I checked that my active profile is set for the tone I want - it is. But ALL SMS rings with the tone that should be ONLY for the exception. not a huge deal, just frustrating. IS ANYONE OUT THERE AN EXPERT ON THIS AND CAN THEY POST VERY DETAILED STEP BY STEPS WITH SCREENSHOTS - 'CAUSE THERE'S A LOT OF OUT HERE THAT AREN'T GETTING IT!!!

Just wondering if anyone had the solution to this... I just got my BB two weeks ago, (rapidly falling in love with it) but I did have to return the first one because it was buggy.... if everyone can make this work, and I can't I am going to be headed back to the store for yet another berry... LOL!
    09-25-08 09:11 AM
    I personally prefer the same tone for all contacts with the exception of the ringer. So I have not actually done custom profiles for an individual but if all the steps are performed properly I would expect that it would work as intended. In the case of custom profile overriding the active profile I can only assume that in the exception the contact the custom profile is to be applied to was left blank or something.

09-27-08 11:54 PM
    I personally prefer the same tone for all contacts with the exception of the ringer. So I have not actually done custom profiles for an individual but if all the steps are performed properly I would expect that it would work as intended. In the case of custom profile overriding the active profile I can only assume that in the exception the contact the custom profile is to be applied to was left blank or something.

Ok, call me stupid but I think I am having the exact same problem as everyone else. I see absolutely no point in having the same ringtone for ALL text messages(or a max of 2 if you make a different profile/exception)... On the last 4 phones I have had I was able to use this function. Now days alot of the consumers text more than they call other people (especially if they work alot). I can customize the ringtone by changing the profile(ex. Custom Tones) and making an exception(Custom Tones), but I can only do this for one person(Trevor). Yes, I realize I can add more than one person to that exception(Trevor, Mike, etc.) and still have the same ringtone(on that Custom Tones exception), but that does me no good. I don't want to have to group my friends together to the same ringtones. That makes NO Sense in the updated cellular world!

There is no way to make 20 different profiles and 20 different exceptions so that you can get 20 different ringtones for 20 people (yes all different TEXT Messages, I have all of the regular Calls customized). This is the question I would like answered by a Moderator if possible. You can do this on almost every other phone in the last couple years.

I have found out that I can make a separate EXCEPTION, and use the ACTIVE PROFILE (so it gets me the different ringtone as before, Custom Tones, but there is no way to adjust that specific person's ringtone, ***meaning other than the Custom Tones Profile***, since the Custom Phone Tune is the only thing you can change on that menu and it's phone calls only). If the phone had a Custom Text Message option under this it would work great, but it doesn't!

The only way I can see making a different text message ringtone is by setting one as MMS ringtone, one as SMS ringtone, etc. I want these all combined for EACH PERSON, like EVERY OTHER PHONE out there!

I am not dumb when it comes to technology, but this is really bugging me.
    11-07-08 09:22 PM
    Unkloper - I feel your pain. I think the method of asigning a custom profile per contact and then making that an exception under the active profile is cumbersome and tedious. Especially when you want to put the berry in "vibrate" or "silent" mode and need to disable all of the exceptions and then re-enable them when returning the berry to "loud" mode. what a pain in the neck. And besides, it's buggy. I STILL can't get the "default" tone for SMS to apply in the active profile - invariably, the tone that is reserved for a "custom" profile rears up its ugly head randomly. I have thoroughly, and I mean thoroughly doubelchecked that I set it up correctly. I even wiped the handheld and reinstalled the OS and then entered all "custom" profiles from scratch. It is just not possible to do either easily or consistently with my model berry - Verizon Curve. I have given up and deleted all custom tones for everybody - I have a single tone to every all Email, SMS, MMS, Tasks, and Phone call. I have 1 single exception - phone calls from my wife ring different - I think this is just a shortcoming of either Blackberrys, Verizon, OS, or user error - but I have thrown in the towel. I'm waiting for the Storm and hopefully things will be different regarding custom tones per event per contact - but I'm not holding my breath.
    11-13-08 03:11 PM
    great tip but quick question, when i have my phone set to vibrate, will the profile still be in effect?? [i wanna still be discrete about using my phone at work, who wants blaring ringers to annoy them anyway, but i wanna be able to tell when my girlfriend is calling/texting/emailing when i set it to loud/normal]
    Unfortunately, there's no way to make an exception ONLY work when the Active Profile is set to a specific profile. Instead, just uncheck all the exceptions when you're at work.
    Last edited by tech42er; 11-15-08 at 12:41 PM.
    11-15-08 12:38 PM
    Ok, call me stupid but I think I am having the exact same problem as everyone else. I see absolutely no point in having the same ringtone for ALL text messages(or a max of 2 if you make a different profile/exception)... On the last 4 phones I have had I was able to use this function. Now days alot of the consumers text more than they call other people (especially if they work alot). I can customize the ringtone by changing the profile(ex. Custom Tones) and making an exception(Custom Tones), but I can only do this for one person(Trevor). Yes, I realize I can add more than one person to that exception(Trevor, Mike, etc.) and still have the same ringtone(on that Custom Tones exception), but that does me no good. I don't want to have to group my friends together to the same ringtones. That makes NO Sense in the updated cellular world!

There is no way to make 20 different profiles and 20 different exceptions so that you can get 20 different ringtones for 20 people (yes all different TEXT Messages, I have all of the regular Calls customized). This is the question I would like answered by a Moderator if possible. You can do this on almost every other phone in the last couple years.

I have found out that I can make a separate EXCEPTION, and use the ACTIVE PROFILE (so it gets me the different ringtone as before, Custom Tones, but there is no way to adjust that specific person's ringtone, ***meaning other than the Custom Tones Profile***, since the Custom Phone Tune is the only thing you can change on that menu and it's phone calls only). If the phone had a Custom Text Message option under this it would work great, but it doesn't!

The only way I can see making a different text message ringtone is by setting one as MMS ringtone, one as SMS ringtone, etc. I want these all combined for EACH PERSON, like EVERY OTHER PHONE out there!

I am not dumb when it comes to technology, but this is really bugging me.
    Go to Profiles, Advanced, Create New Profile, title it the name of one of your contacts. Scroll down to where it says SMS message, click, and change the tone to whatever you want. Scroll down to where it says MMS message or phone and change those if you want to. Make sure you have everything st up just as you want it. Then click menu, save. Click menu, New Exception. Title it the name of your contact, set From to the contact in your address book, and set Use Profile to the Profile you just made with that contacts' name. And uncheck "custom phone tune" since you already set that in the custom profile for your contact. Now anytime they call, text, e-mail you or whatever, it will use the tones you set when you created the profile. Otherwise, it will use the active profile.

Look, this is difficult and somewhat awkward but it allows you to set EXACTLY what you want. The BB CAN do what you want it to if you just follow those instructions. PM me if you need more help, OK? Good luck
    11-15-08 12:48 PM
    Is it possible to have seperate ringtones for when a certain person calls or texts? I have different ringtones for when different people call, but only one for when I get a text.
    11-17-08 05:59 PM
    Wish there was...but SMS have only one option to set the tone and it covers all of your text messages. Nice avatar!
    11-17-08 07:15 PM
    Is it possible to have seperate ringtones for when a certain person calls or texts? I have different ringtones for when different people call, but only one for when I get a text.
    Wish there was...but SMS have only one option to set the tone and it covers all of your text messages. Nice avatar!
    Guys..... did you actually read the last few pages?

Boston9 - you're asking the question that has been address this entire thread

RedSoxFreak - you're saying it can't be done and this entire thread is explaining how to do it.

I'm not attacking, I just want to make sure that you're aware that there IS a way to do this. It's tedious, and (in my opinion) unreliable -- but a solution is there. Go back and read the first few pages.
    11-18-08 02:20 PM
    Ok, so I got it, I have the correct ringtones set to the right people and all that jazz. And I know this has probably already been answered as well, but I've read every post in this thread and tried what they've said, but now when I put my BB on vibrate, I get ringtones playing. Any ideas?
    11-18-08 09:04 PM
    Not really a ringtone, but the ringtone the a caller would hear while waiting for you to pickup. how do i get this off and back to regular ring int eh callers ear. i have the bold.

any help is appreciated.
    11-19-08 08:13 AM
    Any idea why I cant get this to work for my BB messenger?
    11-19-08 10:45 AM
    Not really a ringtone, but the ringtone the a caller would hear while waiting for you to pickup. how do i get this off and back to regular ring int eh callers ear. i have the bold.

any help is appreciated.
    Don't know if you've got your answer yet... If not:

What your talking about is a "ringback tone" NOT a ringtone. Your carrier can disable. Call them.

11-29-08 04:59 PM
    Ok, so I got it, I have the correct ringtones set to the right people and all that jazz. And I know this has probably already been answered as well, but I've read every post in this thread and tried what they've said, but now when I put my BB on vibrate, I get ringtones playing. Any ideas?
    Sorry this took so long to get back to you. If you still need an answer....

the problem you're having is the reason I don't set up specific ring tones per contact for email, sms, etc. The exception you make overrides the active profile. If you want to put phone in vibrate mode and turn off all custom tones and then restore all audible tones when in a "loud" mode the only way to do this is to enable / disable all exceptions. When your selecting your profile scoll down to advanced then check / uncheck the boxes next to your exceptions every time. See what I mean? It's a pain in the neck. That's why I don't do it.

11-29-08 05:06 PM
    i see some people are having an issue with custom tones ringing even in quiet/vibrate mode while at work. i have the same problem. what if we just put the phone in standby mode, then you don't have to check/uncheck boxes for exceptions when someone with a custom ring calls...
    11-29-08 10:23 PM
    I made a custom ring tone for my sms but it will not let me set it. it's not even in the sounds that you can set please help me out
    11-30-08 12:42 AM
256 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD