08-23-09 11:37 AM
43 12
tools
    I switched over to the IMAP settings, but I did not like the way it handled. I have my gmail set up with my outlook and IMAP caused excessive hangtimes and I was too used to POP in general.

So, basically what I have done is forwarded all my incoming GMail to my blackberry.net address and a copy is still sent to my outlook. The email is instant for me but sometimes it takes up to a minute. When I reply to any email, the person who receives it is only shown my gmail account. So when they hit Reply, it comes to my gmail, which forwards it again to my blackberry. The option of sending it to Outlook is optional.

Here is how you do it:
    1) Go to your GMail Settings
    2) Click on the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab
    3) DISABLE IMAP

IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO USE OUTLOOK, JUMP STRAIGHT TO STEP 6

4) Enable POP for mail that arrives from now on

5) Set "When messages are accessed with POP" according to what you want. This is what the different options mean:
    • Keep Gmail's copy in the Inbox - If you do not use Outlook and want Gmail to hold a copy of all your emails, select this. A copy will still be sent to your Outlook as well
    • Archive Gmail's copy - If you use Outlook primarily, this is the option I selected. The email's are still stored on the gmail server so you can search through them, but they do not show up as new mail when checking through gmail.com. They show up as new mails in your Outlook and your blackberry.
    • Delete Gmail's copy - Email is sent to your Outlook but GMail copy is deleted

6) Click on "Forward a copy of incoming mail to" - Enter your blackberry.net email address here. E.g. username@rogers.blackberry.net
    7) Select one of the following options:
    • Keep Gmail's copy in the Inbox - A copy will still be sent to your blackberry and one will be held in your Gmail inbox
    • Archive Gmail's copy - The email's are still stored on the gmail server so you can search through them, but they do not show up as new mail when checking through gmail.com. They show up as new mails in your Outlook and your blackberry.
    • Delete Gmail's copy - Email is sent to your Blackberry but GMail copy is deleted

8) Click "Save Changes"

9) Now access your provider's BIS portal. E.g. BlackBerry Internet Service - then log in
    10) Beside your blackberry.net email address, click "Edit"

11) Change the "Reply-to" field to your gmail address e.g. username@gmail.com

Click "Save".

That's it!

A couple of times my email was not instant, but thats probably due to gmail's forwarding.

Let me know if you have any questions
    Last edited by sim_plic_i_ty; 04-15-08 at 05:24 PM.
    richardsonwan likes this.
    04-14-08 12:57 PM
    This is a test by kevin. Just using opera mini to view and post from the full site into the forums - not the mobile site.
    04-14-08 01:22 PM
    I have one email (a work pop3 email) set up this way and it works great. Do you know how to add another email (personal gmail) like this? When logged into the BIS website and editing the blackberry.net email address... there is only one reply to field.

I would like to have both my work and personal emails forwarded to the blackberry address (so it's instant), but when I reply to the address I want it to show the correct one.

I have seen one other post regarding this, but i didn't quite get the instructions. Any advice would be great.
    04-16-08 05:14 PM
    Ps: this a brilliant write-up! Nicely done...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-16-08 05:28 PM
    Thank you for the instructions

04-16-08 05:45 PM
    Thanks Sim. Nice post.
    04-16-08 11:51 PM
    Good info as always!!!
    04-17-08 07:36 AM
    I have one email (a work pop3 email) set up this way and it works great. Do you know how to add another email (personal gmail) like this? When logged into the BIS website and editing the blackberry.net email address... there is only one reply to field.

I would like to have both my work and personal emails forwarded to the blackberry address (so it's instant), but when I reply to the address I want it to show the correct one.

I have seen one other post regarding this, but i didn't quite get the instructions. Any advice would be great.
    Personally I cant think of any way right now unless you had 2 blackberry.net addresses. If I do come across something, I'll make sure I let you know.

Everyone else - thanks for the nice comments
    04-17-08 03:43 PM
    How can I access my BIS setup with Verizon network? Sorry for the ignorance but I'm new on this world.
    04-22-08 11:37 PM
    Personally I cant think of any way right now unless you had 2 blackberry.net addresses. If I do come across something, I'll make sure I let you know.

Everyone else - thanks for the nice comments

Thanks for the reply. I have settled on adding my Gmail address in BIS and it is pretty much instant (so far).
    04-28-08 11:34 AM
    Of course you could use gmails mobile app: google.com/mobile/gmail

You can also set gmail to check other pop3 accounts - such as your work account, and then use the bb client to check your gmail address..
    04-29-08 10:24 PM
    Hey guys-

I had difficulties with instantaneous gmail on my BB, and I found that your idea of forwarding it to a blackberry email address was a very elegant solution.

BUT

How do I keep track of my sent messages? Since I'm not actually using my gmail account to reply, is there any way to keep track of it?

Thanks!
    05-08-08 11:24 AM
    How do I keep track of my sent messages? Since I'm not actually using my gmail account to reply, is there any way to keep track of it?

Thanks!
    In your BIS setup, you can bcc: your Gmail account. That should do it.
    05-08-08 06:19 PM
    In your BIS setup, you can bcc: your Gmail account. That should do it.
    I tried doing that, but then I'm back to the problem of having every email I send pop up as new in my Inbox. I tried creating a filter whereby if an email if from my sending email address, it gets automatically archived, but that didn't work.

Any suggestions? And any idea on how soon we might have instantaneous, 2-way reconcilable email from gmail? All of these end arounds are so annoying.
    05-09-08 02:27 PM
    I'm confused with this post, could someone enlighten me on why this is an issue? Why would you be using IMAP on a gmail account in the first place?
    05-09-08 02:48 PM
    I'm not using IMAP, I'm forwarding to my VZW Blackberry email address. I actually figured out how to track my outgoing messages so that's cool. I'm just curious when we'll be able to get the same type of instantaneous reconciliable email that enterprise server people have with their work email.
    05-09-08 04:21 PM
    I'm not using IMAP, I'm forwarding to my VZW Blackberry email address. I actually figured out how to track my outgoing messages so that's cool. I'm just curious when we'll be able to get the same type of instantaneous reconciliable email that enterprise server people have with their work email.
    I realize that, I'm asking why you would want to use IMAP to begin with. I receive instant e-mails from gmail through POP without having to do all this forwarding business. I was just curious why you would go through this, I must be missing something.
    05-09-08 06:22 PM
    I tried doing that, but then I'm back to the problem of having every email I send pop up as new in my Inbox. I tried creating a filter whereby if an email if from my sending email address, it gets automatically archived, but that didn't work.

Any suggestions? And any idea on how soon we might have instantaneous, 2-way reconcilable email from gmail? All of these end arounds are so annoying.
    Hmm...When I bcc: myself, I just get a copy in my All Mail folder, designated as Sent Mail. It doesn't show up in my Inbox. Make sure your return address in BIS is the same as the bcc: address.
    05-09-08 10:20 PM
    I realize that, I'm asking why you would want to use IMAP to begin with. I receive instant e-mails from gmail through POP without having to do all this forwarding business. I was just curious why you would go through this, I must be missing something.
    I use IMAP because it marks messages open in Gmail when I open them on my BB. If I use POP, they don't get marked open in Gmail.
    05-09-08 10:23 PM
    I use IMAP because it marks messages open in Gmail when I open them on my BB. If I use POP, they don't get marked open in Gmail.
    Exactly. And for me, the POP Gmail was not as instantaneous as forwarding through BIS. Plus, I like IMAP because I can then manage my email on my Mail client on my computer.

I resolved the sent message issue by BCCing my gmail address and then setting a filter whereby all messages sent from my email address are put into a "sent from blackberry" label.
    05-10-08 01:23 PM
    Great post! I just noticed yesterday that my gmail was delayed and this solved my problem perfectly.
    05-26-08 11:01 PM
    Sometimes email from gmail direct is delayed. It's not true "push" so-to-speak. The forwarding can shorten the delays in receiving messages on your bb. I am currently not forwarding. Not sure if I'll cange or bot right now...

05-26-08 11:51 PM
    tried this out and then realized that I was receiving "NEW" emails on my computer (Apple Mail) that were already read on my blackberry. So I took your ideas and applied my own thinking to come up with a slightly better system for me.

!)Basically, you leave the forwarding to you BB email on with the setting set to "achieve gmail copy".
    2)disable POP in gmail and enable IMAP.
    3) next I setup my apple mail to get IMAP gmail and thats all!

I left my BIS to auto bcc my gmail account and then applied a filter on BIS saying not to send those messages to my handheld (so I dont have to be reading my own BB outgoing messages) and a filter on gmail that skips the inbox and applies the label "Sent from my BB" to any messages received from my gmail address.

Now I can read my mail quickly on my BB and when I go home my gmail inbox is not full of messages I have already read. Instead they have been placed in "All mail". Unfortunately the one minor issue is that these messages are in all mail as unread but that is okay by me. I can just hit select all > mark read in gmail every so often if it bothers you.

the best of both worlds until a real push and fast gmail system is available.
    06-10-08 12:14 PM
    I'm sorry if this has been covered before.

Our company uses Google Apps for email and I have it set up as explained here - my google apps email account forwards to my vzw blackberry net address. However, I receive 2 emails for every email my inbox receives - this is because my GA account is also setup in BIS. So I receive the instant forwarded email AND the polling 15 minute one. The reason for this is that when I try to reply from the original forwarded email, people are able to see my BB email addy. Is there anyway to configure instant email via BIS and not have to get 2 copies. I have to be able to also reply from the google app addy, not the VZW one.

I would appreciate any help. TIA.
    06-15-08 02:39 PM
    Thank you for this information. I have created a dummy account in Gmail to tie all of my 4 work email accounts to my work blackberry's email address.

This is soooooo much nicer getting everything in one area.
    I also went back and had my outlook mapped to the dummy gmail account too!

You rock!
    Dm
    06-16-08 04:54 PM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD