05-12-10 11:21 AM
43 12
tools
    I wouldn't recommend using 80 proof liquor. That is for one, not nearly close to 100% alcohol(only 40%). Recommending that is nuts. Further, it is full of impurities from whatever "type" or flavor you are using.

100% is really the only acceptable solution to me. That is what I've used in electronics assembly.
    09-19-09 06:42 PM
    I wouldn't recommend using 80 proof liquor. That is for one, not nearly close to 100% alcohol(only 40%). Recommending that is nuts. Further, it is full of impurities from whatever "type" or flavor you are using.

100% is really the only acceptable solution to me. That is what I've used in electronics assembly.
    Absolutely..if you are not using pure 100% alcohol you are going to have residual sugars and impurities that may be harmful to your device. 91% Rubbing Alcohol should not be bad either as it's pure alcohol that is deluted slightly with chemicals to make it non-consumable. It's available cheaply through the drug store, but with 100% food grade alcohol (Everclear, Moonshine, White Lightning) you can get hammered after you find out that your BB ain't coming back because you tried to fire it up right after it went swimming..lol
    09-19-09 07:58 PM
    I think this whole tread should start over. The advice is NOT what I would do. Not what I would recommend. Could easily destroy a phone.
    09-19-09 08:12 PM
    I've yet to find 80 Proof to be really damaging yet on any of the Electronics I have fixed (many my own) but then again I was always careful when I researched the Alcohol itself to find its contents and what could be harmful.

Isopropyl Alcohol which is practically the same in Rubbing Alcohol, has also shown to be of no damage to electronics. Right now I got three happy clients who are using computers I had put together using parts that had to be cleaned, and the only thing I had on hand was Isopropyl, and 80 Proof.
    Then again, a combination of either probably was the fix for that.

"Not what I would recommend"
    I read yours :P Good write up, fixes what I don't experience with a phone.
    Last edited by JohnMidnight; 09-23-09 at 11:56 AM.
    09-23-09 11:47 AM
    sounds good thank's
    09-27-09 11:12 PM
    i have seen rice fix a bb that was dropped in water. the person didnt take their battery off either. it worked perfectly. i was very surprised.
    11-08-09 01:17 PM
    i have seen rice fix a bb that was dropped in water. the person didnt take their battery off either. it worked perfectly. i was very surprised.
    The problem with rice is that there is the possibility of rice dust getting into your device. Then the dust asborbs the water inside and you now have a sticky substance on the electronics that when dry can cause even more damage over time. Using a substance like silica gels that are designed to absorb moisture is the best thing.
    11-08-09 05:36 PM
    good work!
    11-30-09 12:25 PM
    Just don't let your phone come into contact with water, ok, I have dropped my phone in water. Now all I did was just dry it out inside as fast as possible. It still works and that is all that matters to me. Peace
    12-14-09 05:26 PM
    that is very cool
    12-15-09 12:57 PM
    The other day I went running in the rain which I always do (with my phone), but this time water seeped into the screen. I thought about using the rice technique, but that failed to work on a friend's wet ipod in the past so despite all of the warnings against the oven, I bravely decided to test the oven technique and (successfully) baked my Bold. Here are the steps that I used:

1. Immediately remove battery, SIM card, and memory card

2. Set oven to the lowest setting (on mine it was 170)

3. Put towel on a cookie sheet so that the magnet doesn't make the phone stick
    to the metal and place phone onto cookie sheet

4. Place phone into oven, closest to the outside edge as possible

5. Leave oven slightly cracked open

6. I left mine in there for 30 min intervals then let it cool down for 30 min. intervals so that it didn't begin to melt or 'cook'. After the 4rd or 5th interval (this will vary depending on your water damage) I turned the phone on to see the progress and it was good as new!

It's been 3 days since I saved my phone and it works perfectly! Of course, use this method at your own risk. Good Luck!
    01-02-10 03:42 PM
    has anyone actually tried this? i have yet to see any testimonial
    01-04-10 07:02 PM
    My wife dropped her Tour into the bathtub while giving our 21 month old a bath(fell out of her sweatshirt pocket when she went to pick her up). She immediately took out the battery, toweled it off, shook it a couple of times, and then put it into a bag - o - rice for about 7 hours...works like a charm!!! I couldn't believe that the rice trick would actually work. Her phone was fully submerged for about 30 seconds in the bath water; she didn't even know that it happened since our daughter likes colored water, haha. I'm going to give it another round of rice over night but I am very impressed.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-16-10 12:12 AM
    [QUOTE=You can take a brand new device without the battery, dunk it in distilled water and then let it dry completely and it will work just fine. The problem is people trying to get it working only minutes after it takes an unplanned bath.[/QUOTE]

ya i agree..i once washed a usb thumb drive and i let it dry and after it worked just fine still had all my files on it i was stunned
    01-16-10 04:15 AM
    Rice worked for my iphone when it fell into the swimming pool.

Silica Gel would be my 2nd option; Rice would be the first as we have lots of it in the house
    01-19-10 10:49 PM
    Look, as soon as it swims your warranty is over (moisture stickers do not lie)m

Give it a viking funeral and light it on fire

01-21-10 01:55 AM
    So I don't know if this is the right area to post or not but I'm going to anyway
    My tour bb was submerged in redbull an raspberry syrup andddd I was an ***** and tried to turn it on as soon as I woke up and noticed it, obviously it didnt turn on so I removed the battery,cleaned it up and then put it in rice,for abouuuut 12hrs,then tried it an it comes on an the keyboard lights up but no screen, I'm already getting a new phone from my provider but is there still drying out it could do so I could get all my contacts an bbm buddies back or is it pretty much done-zo??? its a tour fyi.

04-22-10 12:31 AM
    this worked for my 8310 after dropping it in a bowl of water... still works!
    05-12-10 11:21 AM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD